Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Hardware demanding than Tera?

Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97

I want to try out guild wars 2 but i'm not sure if my rig can handle it. I want at least med graphic settings with 30-40fps if possible

I recently tried Tera and it was so choppy on med settings that it put me off, I could play it on min settings but it just turned me off big time and i stopped playing. here are some spec of my comp, pls let me know if you can thx!

Windows 8 64-bit

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor  (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
 Memory: 8192MB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7450 Display Memory: 4841 MB Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB Shared Memory: 3830 MB

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

You should be okey unless you expect those 30-40 fps in wvw zerg vs zerg with 100 players fighting. In dungeons, spvp, world you will have decent fps. Remeber to download latest drivers, etc :)

ALSO .. it depends on how cleared your PC is right. No one can say for sure unless you try.

• Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97
    thx, just want to make sure before i spend the money on something i couldn't enjoy.
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Garland7G

I want to try out guild wars 2 but i'm not sure if my rig can handle it. I want at least med graphic settings with 30-40fps if possible

I recently tried Tera and it was so choppy on med settings that it put me off, I could play it on min settings but it just turned me off big time and i stopped playing. here are some spec of my comp, pls let me know if you can thx!

Windows 8 64-bit

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor  (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
     Memory: 8192MB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7450 Display Memory: 4841 MB Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB Shared Memory: 3830 MB

According to your specs you should be able to run it very good, forget your experience on TERA because that game its poorly optimized  unless you have a Specific Gcard. Hope that helps

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Your graphic card is bottom of the chain, why do you expect even medium graphic with it? Its designed to run windows and mutimedia,  not games, you should be happy to play with min settings. Invest 80-90$ to have somewhat decent graphic card (even less if you buy used).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519&IsNodeId=1&Description=hd7750&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by mikahr

Your graphic card is bottom of the chain, why do you expect even medium graphic with it? Its designed to run windows and mutimedia,  not games, you should be happy to play with min settings. Invest 80-90$ to have somewhat decent graphic card (even less if you buy used).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519&IsNodeId=1&Description=hd7750&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

I'm using the HD 6870 and have all settings on max without problem.

Hell even my non-gamer laptop can play the game lagfree. (With PlayStation 1 grafics of course)

Harbinger of Fools
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The reason why Tera takes up a lot more hardware power is due to the fact it uses a lot more graphics intensive content on it. If comparing the graphics and what is actually going on, Tera is a lot heavier on the graphics then Guildwars 2 which uses a much lower quality graphics, though using clever artistic talent in order to disguise it and give it a nice appeal. As such, Guildwars 2 will be likely to run easier on your system.

The biggest issue will be WvW which no matter  which will primarily on your Graphics Ram in order for it to support the combat. Still it should be fine enough to run.

In short, Tera is a lot more graphically demanding game then Guild Wars 2 and really shouldn't be compared at all in that department for whether it will run or not. Comments bashing Tera being poorly optimized are well, lets just say someone bashing a game they view as a threat if it wasn't obvious by their signature what they hold bias towards. :)

Originally posted by Dakeru

Hell even my non-gamer laptop can play the game lagfree. (With PlayStation 1 grafics of course)

this gives me hope then, the funny thing is, is that this comp i bought like 3 months ago! was labled a "gaming" rig by the guys at Frys lol. granted it only cost like 650 and i knew i would have to replace the graphics card sooner or later but i just didn't want to do it for guildwars 2 as money is tight.

Do you even know difference between 7450 and 6870?

this gives me hope then, the funny thing is, is that this comp i bought like 3 months ago! was labled a "gaming" rig by the guys at Frys lol. granted it only cost like 650 and i knew i would have to replace the graphics card sooner or later but i just didn't want to do it for guildwars 2 as money is tight.

Maybe for facebook games ;P

If you want decent graphic card youre looking at 200$ price range. But as i said, invest in 5770/6770 used for cheap until you can buy somehting decent.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Unfortunately, the computer market is filled with companies milking the clueless consumer for money. Its not your fault of course, unfortunately you need a little know how in order to really make it out there. Its good to shop around a bit, my computer was only $800 at time of purchase and can run Tera on High settings due to the place I purchased it being a lot better on their deals and not overmarking it double price like some places tend to. If it was built by hand I could of even got that build for probably $100+ cheaper. 

I know what you mean. I was playing FFXIV back then and it fried my nvidia card. While waiting for replacement, I bought the HD 6870 for 210€ .. most expensive card I ever bought in my life.

I wouldn't spend that much again but I know this card will last somewhat longer unless it shares the same fate as the (I admit it) outdated nvidia I had before.

Harbinger of Fools

just to give you context of 7450 performance ;P

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7450

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6870

The difference is obvious. Not that benchmark results tell the whole story, but the 6870 is a gaming video card, while the 7450 is not. Sure, the 7xxx series is newer, but that doesn't mean more powerful.

Originally posted by Scalpless

The difference is obvious. Not that benchmark results tell the whole story, but the 6870 is a gaming video card, while the 7450 is not. Sure, the 7xxx series is newer, but that doesn't mean more powerful.

Not to mention 7450 is rebranded 6450 and is OEM only ;)

Originally posted by Scalpless

fucking ouch....

fucking ouch....

Painful realization of harsh truth ;P

just look at my advice few posts up and give that 7450 to someone whose pinnacle of computer using is watching movies on it ;P

here:

If you want decent graphic card youre looking at 200$ price range. But as i said, invest in 5770/6770 used for cheap until you can buy somehting decent.

fucking ouch....

Painful realization of harsh truth ;P

just look at my advice few posts up and give that 7450 to someone whose pinnacle of computer using is watching movies on it ;P

here:

good advice :)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    That graphic card is terrible. I doubt you will run GW2 with decent settings. All low if you are lucky. Processor is okay, but Gfx must be changed.
    Originally posted by boxsnd

It's sad that a lot of people are lying in this thread. GW2 is A LOT more demanding than TERA. I can play tera at medium settings and my fps is pinned at 60 with very little fluctuation.

GW2 on the other hand even at lowest settings varies wildly. In pve with few people around it is above 60, with many people it drops to 30-40. In WvW it starts at 30-35 fps (with no people around) and drops down to 10-15 in keep fights, especially when it's snowing. (why do you think they have culling?)

The weird thing is TERA looks much better than GW2. Its engine is optimized very badly.

I'd suggest to steer clear of GW2 since it is overrated as hell anyway.

It's refreshing to see a post completely free of bias again.

Harbinger of Fools

I went online on my laptop to take a screenshot near the TP so you can compare the grafics yourself. This is what I call the PS1 grafics.

The onboard gfx card on my laptop is a Radeon HD 7520G.

PS: I did not try wvw on this and I don't expect good results there.

Harbinger of Fools
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

It's sad that a lot of people are lying in this thread. GW2 is A LOT more demanding than TERA. I can play tera at medium settings and my fps is pinned at 60 with very little fluctuation.

GW2 on the other hand even at lowest settings varies wildly. In pve with few people around it is above 60, with many people it drops to 30-40. In WvW it starts at 30-35 fps (with no people around) and drops down to 10-15 in keep fights, especially when it's snowing. (why do you think they have culling?)

The weird thing is TERA looks much better than GW2. Its engine is optimized very badly.

Tera DOES NOT look better than GW2. TERA uses soft focus on the background so the rest looks good and it is optimized for NVidia cards. GW2, on the other hand, looks good no matter what graphics card I use.

Can I say one thing - troll much?

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

we got it already you hate gw2 and bash it in every single topic

ok you quitted the game so stop already

go troll somewhere else

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I don't know (or care, for that matter...) what TERA looks like... GW2 looks gorgeous to me and runs beautifully. Here's a shot from Wintersday, and the graphics aren't fully maximized because I WvW a lot.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    That CPU is your bottleneck. GW2's performance is heavily bound to CPU and that 6100 is about i3's levels of power. I'm not very familiar with AMDs CPU's since I stick to intel's stuff, but with i5 and a dated GPU (GTX 460 1GB)  with 8 GB DDR3 I can easiy pulll GW2 on high detail at 60fps+. 
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

You should be able to run it just fine :)

EDIT: NO, no you won't...I miss read your OP. I thought you wrote 7650. The 7450 IS NOT A GAMING VIDEO CARD.
     As a general rule with AMD cards you should find a x600series or higher if you want to play games on a computer. x500 tends to meet MINIMUM requirements and below that you'll be in pain.

That being said, TERA is an extremely well optimized game. GW2 is pretty well optimized at this point, but the issue of culling (not rendering people) needs to be addressed. Hopefully we'll see that in march.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

lol, those 2 cards are worlds apart.  The 6870 has been up there with the best of the best in terms of gaming performance (as were the 5870 and 7870).  The 7450 is simply not intended to be a gaming gpu.  There's no comparison. 

I think the way ATI names their cards tricks a lot of people.  The first digit basically just represents the card's generation.  The second digit is the one that really indicates the card's intended puprose and expected performance.  x8xx are the top of the line ATI cards.  x7xx cards are meant to be more economical, but still very good gaming cards.  x6xx cards tend to be extreme budget gaming cards.  You can get them for under $100, but you'll never be able to play new games at max settings.  All other cards are either basic PC cards for displaying higher desktop resolutions or are laptop cards.   The third digit indicates subtle differences between the card model.  It's usually a 5 or 7 for the gaming ards, where 7 always seems to pack more performance.  The last digit is irrelevant because it's always 0.  I think they just wanted to make their numbers seem higher than Nvidia's cards.