Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The development of Lineage 3.

xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

I know this thread might strike most people as odd. But the Lineage series is my favorite when it comes to MMO's and day for day I am itching to find some kind of information on (at least) the actual development of a Lineage 3. Ever since the lawsuit with Bluehole and En Masse it got incredibly quiet and I am beginning to wonder whether or not they are still even developing it. Though, NCSOFT being a million dollar heavy company and the Lineage series as such having made millions of profit I doubt they would let such a chance slip.

The Lineage series was and still is incredibly successful after all. Anyhow, so I wanted to ask if maybe someone has some or any kind of information about it, really.

Anyone? What is your opinion on a Lineage 3 and the Lineage series in general?

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

Comments

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    is not L3 = Lineage Eternal ?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by davc123

Nope... Lineage Eternal is a completely seperate chapter in the Lineage series. The original Lineage 3 code was stolen by a couple of developers who started Bluehole Studeo and called it TERA (we all know that story by now). But L3 might be in the making since NCSoft (Korea) has only recently licensed the Unreal 4 engine for a 'massively playing experience'. Knowing NCSoft and how they heavily modified the Unreal 2 engine for L2, my guess is that the U4 engine will undergo something similar for L3...

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Reizla

Nope... Lineage Eternal is a completely seperate chapter in the Lineage series. The original Lineage 3 code was stolen by a couple of developers who started Bluehole Studeo and called it TERA (we all know that story by now). But L3 might be in the making since NCSoft (Korea) has only recently licensed the Unreal 4 engine for a 'massively playing experience'. Knowing NCSoft and how they heavily modified the Unreal 2 engine for L2, my guess is that the U4 engine will undergo something similar for L3...

If this is true that would be fabulous. Where do you have that info from that NCSOFT (KR) licensed the Unreal 4 Engine for an MMO though? And didn't they somewhen state that they would be making their own engine for Lineage 3?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by xDrac
    Originally posted by Reizla

If this is true that would be fabulous. Where do you have that info from that NCSOFT (KR) licensed the Unreal 4 Engine for an MMO though? And didn't they somewhen state that they would be making their own engine for Lineage 3?

http://www.thisisgame.com/en/2013/02/14/mysterious-projects-from-ncsoft-will-use-unreal-engine-4

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    I thought Lineage 3 was cancelled which is why the devs working on it stole the code and made TERA?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by stragen001
    I thought Lineage 3 was cancelled which is why the devs working on it stole the code and made TERA?

It was just the other way around... L3 development was put on hold because the devs stole the code ans started on their S1 project, later to be called TERA. NCSoft never said they had compltely canceled the L3 idea. I even dare to say that L2 GoD was a sneak peak of what L3 would (could) have become and see how the player base responded to the idea of only 8 classes and such (as TERA has as well). Clearly that idea failed with the 32 classes coming back again.

Also, why would NCSoft license the Unreal 4 engine if they have nothing big at the horizon now and tell us that it's for a 'massively gaming experience'? Since L2 was using the U2 engine and the original L3 idea (now TERA) was using the U3 engine, my only guess is that the U4 engine will be used for the (new) L3 to be developed...

[EDIT]

Interesting read on wikipedia: "Lineage III was originally anticipated to use the Unreal Engine 3, but a NCsoft representative has since stated that NCsoft will instead develop an entirely new proprietary engine."

The wikipedia article is also a small recap of a dev-blog that was posted in 2007 but later (2010 when S1/TERA was revealed) has been taken fully off-line. Wish I had captured that blog back then :s

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Bingo

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Lineage 3 is Aion

Originally posted by f0dell54

Bingo

Originally posted by ste2000
    Lineage 3 is Aion

Both are totally not true, lol.

So did they start from scratch yet again seeing how they licsensed the UE4?

Originally posted by Vardahoth

If you liked lineage 2 (as I did), you should check out archeage. It has the same developers who developed the original L2. The lineage team arn't even the same people anymore, so the new lineage game they make (if ever) will never be the same.

Also, why would you want to play a game by ncsoft knowing they ban legit players for reporting the bots/farmers the company makes money off of?

ArcheAge is starting to sound better and better by the day. Damn, a lot from the original L2 there..? AA should become awesome I bet!

• TAMjustineTAMjustine Member Posts: 4
    Thats quite an info tho. I've been a fan ever since the first Lineage was released. Damn those devs anyway.

Pockie Pirates - Recruit your crew, Level up, Boost your protagonist, Defeat the warlords, and be the most respect pirate in the seas.

Originally posted by Vardahoth
    Originally posted by xDrac

I know this thread might strike most people as odd. But the Lineage series is my favorite when it comes to MMO's and day for day I am itching to find some kind of information on (at least) the actual development of a Lineage 3. Ever since the lawsuit with Bluehole and En Masse it got incredibly quiet and I am beginning to wonder whether or not they are still even developing it. Though, NCSOFT being a million dollar heavy company and the Lineage series as such having made millions of profit I doubt they would let such a chance slip.

The Lineage series was and still is incredibly successful after all. Anyhow, so I wanted to ask if maybe someone has some or any kind of information about it, really.

Anyone? What is your opinion on a Lineage 3 and the Lineage series in general?

If you liked lineage 2 (as I did), you should check out archeage. It has the same developers who developed the original L2. The lineage team arn't even the same people anymore, so the new lineage game they make (if ever) will never be the same.

Also, why would you want to play a game by ncsoft knowing they ban legit players for reporting the bots/farmers the company makes money off of?

I happen to be playing ArcheAge (KR) right now.

And while ArcheAge undoubtedly is an amazing game that I'll keep playing for a few more months to come... it just isn't Lineage, you know?

I'm slightly disappointed in ArcheAge but it still is an amazing game, I can't deny that.

Still I have been waiting for a Lineage 3 since years, ever since first news about it hit the internet. So I'm really desperate to see L3 rise despite all the problems NCSOFT had to go through with it's development. I am really eager to get any kind of news.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I still play Lineage 2 today and have been following ArcheAge ever since it was first announced. When I see ArcheAge I see a good game but its not Lineage.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Seems like Archeage is the best answer to this question since the creator of Lineage (Jake Song) started XL Games and then developed Archeage.

So the question is if NC Soft still holds rights to Lineage, would you rather have NC Soft create Lineage 3 without Jake Song or play Jake Song's new vision, Archeage? Given NC Soft's track record, my bets are on Archeage!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Mannish

I still play Lineage 2 today and have been following ArcheAge ever since it was first announced. When I see ArcheAge I see a good game but its not Lineage.

There is a thread here that is sort of a review from a level 50 and what he describes sounds exactly like Lineage nearly to a tee including the death penalty, philosophy behind pvp and resource competition, and so on.

I didn't play L2 past a month because I just came off playing Lin when it came out.

Yea, it sounds like it but when I watch videos I dont see it. Dont get me wrong, ArchgeAge is a preorder purchase from me no doubt but I still want to see Lineage 3 one day.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Lineage required a commitment of sorts and being heavily invested.  It was also always so intense with pledge wars and politics.  I'm not sure I have the energy for that anymore. :p  Even if I don't end up playing it, I still think it's a fairly brilliant game.  I kind of wish they had went with Tera's combat style though, but that's just me.

Playing TERA right now and I rolled on the old PvP server. When I hit 20 and was ganked to boredom by the high level players there I realized that though there's part of the l2 team behind TERA, they did drop the bomb on a lauzy PvP system that's too reliable on gear, PvP toggle (RLY on a PvP server..?) and no criminal system. That's what made L2 such a great game, and I hope ArcheAge will give it back to me as well. For now, I've transfered to the PvE server *cough* carebear *cough* to enjoy the game there and I'll be waiting for AA to be released and in the (far) future L3.

ArcheAge's crime system is much different from Lineage's though.

I think while it's not completely useless, it just is nowhere near as risky as Lineage's system. And not so well thought-through. In Lineage you could drop your items, in ArcheAge you merely have to sit a few minutes or hours in prison and that will be it. Another sad thing in AA is that there is no real item decay, no loss of items anywhere and that hurts the economy. Right now even, stuff is awfully cheap compared to how things were after launch. And it's only going to get worse, there just is no real money sink, you just add and add to what you already got. In L2 you had enchanting too which could break your items, in AA that is non-existent. You can upgrade your stuff that is, but it won't break ie. get destroyed. And yeah the guy that wrote the post about AA from a level 50 perspective is in my guild on AA. I'm level 50 too btw. Archeage is an amazing game, absolutely no doubt about that. But... it's just not quite Lineage, you know. Then again, important core features like the sieges aren't even implemented yet. 

Still, I am and will always be an avid fan of the Lineage series and I'm waiting impatienly for any kind of announcement.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Marketing it would certainly be easy.

"Come see L3 at G3!" (logo)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

only thing I care about any more in L3, after playing L2

can characters who are like rogues not run all slanted, it looks so stupid

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by steelwind

Seems like Archeage is the best answer to this question since the creator of Lineage (Jake Song) started XL Games and then developed Archeage.

So the question is if NC Soft still holds rights to Lineage, would you rather have NC Soft create Lineage 3 without Jake Song or play Jake Song's new vision, Archeage? Given NC Soft's track record, my bets are on Archeage!

Jake left ncsoft in March 2003, before Lineage 2 released

Jake Song is not listed in Lineage 2 credits

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/lineage-ii-the-chaotic-chronicle/credits

whether L3 will be more similar to L1 or L2 remains to be seen

Do you guys think they'll keep true to the lineage2-centered features like the hero system, noblesse quests, subclasses, classes and armor grades? Or do you think they'll make a completely new game that merely fits into the lore and change those concepts entirely?