Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"US free-to-play audience outnumbers pay-to-play 6 to 1"

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Who cares. I would rather play with a smaller tight knit population than a huge on the go population of passer through players. I will not play F2P games.

Ditto.  I think most f2p games are borderline sucky anyway. They generally feel cheap. I prefer buy to play or better yet......pay to play.  After all, you get what you pay for.

No matter how much bickering back and forth, this is what it all comes down to. It's a universal truth that is constant.

Not at all.  IMO most sub based games just aren't worth it.  They don't provide me much enjoyment at least not more than the f2p ones. 

As far as you get what you pay for, there are numerous examples of things that are increasing in costs and provide less value for hte same amount of money spent.  Health care, taxes just to name a couple.

You can convince yourself into believing whatever the heck you want to, I however, will continue to use common sense and logic as I have always done.

You can convince yourself into believing whatever the heck you want to, I however, will continue to use common sense and logic as I have always done.

edit - there are no universal truths.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Ditto.  I think most f2p games are borderline sucky anyway. They generally feel cheap. I prefer buy to play or better yet......pay to play.  After all, you get what you pay for.

No matter how much bickering back and forth, this is what it all comes down to. It's a universal truth that is constant.

If anyone genuinely thinks this is the case, please forward the necessary information to access your life savings to me; you can tell me afterward whether the wisdom you've gained in return was worth what you paid :).

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

This just in!  People would rather not pay for something than pay for it!  News at 11!

What suffers in F2P isn't the revenue, but the community.  In most F2P games the community is completely garbage.  I guess that's what you get when the entitlement crowd show up and start demanding more shit that they don't want to pay for.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

What suffers in F2P isn't the revenue, but the community.  In most F2P games the community is completely garbage.  I guess that's what you get when the entitlement crowd show up and start demanding more shit that they don't want to pay for.

Not everyone plays games for community.

And if the "demanding" is successful, more power to them.

This just in!  People would rather not pay for something than pay for it!  News at 11!

IMO the community is the same in p2p games.  If p2p was the barrier that people stated that guarantees a good community than WoW would have a good community, it doesn't therefore the payment model has little if anything to do with community.

The only thing it might do is create a bigger community and bigger communities tend to be more crappy.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

This just in!  People would rather not pay for something than pay for it!  News at 11!   What suffers in F2P isn't the revenue, but the community.  In most F2P games the community is completely garbage.  I guess that's what you get when the entitlement crowd show up and start demanding more shit that they don't want to pay for.

IMO the community is the same in p2p games.  If p2p was the barrier that people stated that guarantees a good community than WoW would have a good community, it doesn't therefore the payment model has little if anything to do with community.

The only thing it might do is create a bigger community and bigger communities tend to be more crappy.

I garantee the moment they implement something like RealID, the comunity will improve drastically.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by birdycephon

I garantee the moment they implement something like RealID, the comunity will improve drastically.

Or darwinism becomes more prevalent as more interviewers enjoy "delightful" reads on forums XD

F2P is a misnomer anyhow.  I haven't come across a single "F2P" game yet, that wasn't really just "Twist your arm until you pay".   It's all wolves in sheeps clothing. 

They get you in the door with "Hey, man, it's free, sure you don't want to try it?  Come on, get in the van, you'll love it". 

Then you get in the van and they're like, "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you, only the first five minutes is free, if you want anything else, you'll have to pay"

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Hmm, so there's 6 F2P'ers per 1 P2P'er?

I dunno, I would have aimed for the P2P'er if I made games, considering the "word on the street" is that only 1 out of 10 F2P'er pay anything in their game....

imageThe last of the Trackers

Originally posted by Waiwan

Not at all.  IMO most sub based games just aren't worth it.  They don't provide me much enjoyment at least not more than the f2p ones. 

As far as you get what you pay for, there are numerous examples of things that are increasing in costs and provide less value for hte same amount of money spent.  Health care, taxes just to name a couple.

edit - and once again, since many people believe that a f2p can cost more, well then according that principle it must be better.

HAHAHA. So just because the game doesnt provide YOU the enjoyment than it means it should go F2P. Do you even listen to yourself? Did you EVER think about other players playing the game(yes there are also players, they are not AI NPCs), what if they actually love the game?

So if I was like you .. I should just go tomorrow to the Bentley, try out the car and say hey ... this is not what ''I'' was looking for, give it to me for free!!!  ... If I were the salesman I would just kill you right away, for the sake of the world.

Or I should just go to the gym, try it out and say .. hmm.. you dont have all the equipment ''I'' need ... Give me the free acess. Just go find yourself a better gym!

You are not the only one playing these games. Only because ''YOU'' dont enjoy them, they dont have to change the game. YOU are not the only one playing them sir ... !

So .. If you dont like something, move on/quit or whatever.  You dont have to ruin the game for those who enjoy them by demand the change. There are plenty of games you might enjoy. BYE :)

Um no.  I did not state nor imply that in any way.  I did not state or imply what anything should or should not be.  Your response is very weird and largely unrelated to what I wrote

I meant exactly what I wrote, most mmo's do not provide me with more enjoyment than is available in f2p, therefore they are not worth my sub.  You can do whatever you want with your money. 

I'm not demanding anything or anyone change.  I am deciding what I enjoy and what I will spend my money on.  Today the decision is between two games, one is p2p, the other is f2p, both provide me with equal enjoyment.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

F2P is a misnomer anyhow.  I haven't come across a single "F2P" game yet, that wasn't really just "Twist your arm until you pay".   It's all wolves in sheeps clothing. 

They get you in the door with "Hey, man, it's free, sure you don't want to try it?  Come on, get in the van, you'll love it". 

Then you get in the van and they're like, "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you, only the first five minutes is free, if you want anything else, you'll have to pay"

Which game you are talking about?

I have played DDO, STO, and PS2. None limit the time you play, and i am having fun without spending a dime. What are you talking about?

• WaiwanWaiwan Member Posts: 20

Um no.  I did not state nor imply that in any way, your response is very weird and largely unrelated to what I wrote

I meant exactly what I wrote, most mmo's do not provide me with more enjoyment than is available in f2p, therefore they are not worth my sub.  You can do whatever you want with your money. 

I'm not demanding anything or anyone change.  I am deciding what I enjoy and what I will spend my money on.  Today the decision is between two games, one is p2p, the other is f2p, both provide me with equal enjoyment.

I am not talking to solely to you, sorry for quote .. But as you might see, A LOT of players wants games to be or to become F2P because ''they'' dont enjoy it.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I would think for any FTP game to be profitable it will use the Boiling the Lobster technique.

Asking for too much money too early would be very 'bad'.

... If I were the salesman I would just kill you right away, for the sake of the world.

Just saving this for posterity, he single-handedly made the position of P2Pers untenable in this thread.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

http://www.superdataresearch.com/us-free-to-play-does-it-pay-to-switch/

"If you were to look at the growth of the audience alone, the market for F2P games is substantially larger than that for pay-to-play. Six times larger, in fact."

"Subscription-based MMOs have been on a decline in the US, dropping from 8.5MM in December 2009 to 6.7MM in October 2012."

"So, yes, it would appear that F2P may be a viable revenue model, partly because of the large number of gamers it attracts. But traffic alone is not a definitive measure of success. Overall spending may follow a very different trend depending on a game’s life cycle, player base and genre.

The good news is that in 2012, F2P MMOs made more than their P2P counterparts, capturing the majority of the MMO US market’s revenue. The tricky part lies in how to capture and replicate this success."

Not surprising. I would bet all those who love f2p are also the 47% that mooch off of everyone else in america.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

F2P is a misnomer anyhow.  I haven't come across a single "F2P" game yet, that wasn't really just "Twist your arm until you pay".   It's all wolves in sheeps clothing.  They get you in the door with "Hey, man, it's free, sure you don't want to try it?  Come on, get in the van, you'll love it".  Then you get in the van and they're like, "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you, only the first five minutes is free, if you want anything else, you'll have to pay"

I have played DDO, STO, and PS2. None limit the time you play, and i am having fun without spending a dime. What are you talking about?

Some people just like spout baseless nonsense, like a certain popular "news" channel I dont watch.

Some people just like spout baseless nonsense, like a certain popular "news" channel I dont watch.

If you equate people to Fox News to get cool factor you're just gonna look like a pretty lame hipster especially considering he's right, you can play those 3 games (though DDO you'll be struggling quite a bit) completely free and not be a "leecher stealing money from the devs!" (in DDO you are another person interacting with people, making them feel the game is alive, being a friend or nemesis to them, etc, in STO you provide dilithium in exchange for C-store points, fueling the demand for c-store points and getting people with disposable income and the need for dilithium to buy it and in PS2... christ without free players running around providing extra bodies for advances that game would be Battlefield's special cousin).

F2P is a misnomer anyhow.  I haven't come across a single "F2P" game yet, that wasn't really just "Twist your arm until you pay".   It's all wolves in sheeps clothing.  They get you in the door with "Hey, man, it's free, sure you don't want to try it?  Come on, get in the van, you'll love it".  Then you get in the van and they're like, "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you, only the first five minutes is free, if you want anything else, you'll have to pay"

I don't know why you respond to his posts.  He admitted he doesn't pay a dime towards the development of the games he plays, which means he's not even WORTH responding to. If you pay for any of your games and you're responding to this welfare warrior, then you're wasting money on a freeloading dirtbag.

I dunno, maybe because I think people who spread lies are worse than the freeloaders.

Someone should close this thread, it's clear the amount of P2P people with wallet warrior syndrome is too big for rational discourse.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I don't know why you respond to his posts.  He admitted he doesn't pay a dime towards the development of the games he plays, which means he's not even WORTH responding to. If you pay for any of your games and you're responding to this welfare warrior, then you're wasting money on a freeloading dirtbag.

So, let me get this right. First you claim that F2P is all a trap and it's not actually free. A poster appears claiming he's played 3 MMOs entirely for free, and your reaction now is that he's an evil welfare warrior? Seriously?

I dunno, maybe because I think people who spread lies are worse than the freeloaders.

Show me where I lied.  I said that F2P games withhold parts of the game from you unless you play.  Name one F2P game that doesn't withhold something such as XP, PVP, Instanced content, or anything unless you pay. 

Where's the lie in that?  They all do it.  It's a "twist your arm until you pay" scheme.  I'd rather just pay up front and play the game than have them dangling carrots in my face all day every day about what I can't have or do until I shell out more and more bucks.

Show me where I lied.  I said that F2P games withhold parts of the game from you unless you play.  Name one F2P game that doesn't withhold something such as XP, PVP, Instanced content, or anything unless you pay. 

Where's the lie in that?  They all do it.  It's a "twist your arm until you pay" scheme.  I'd rather just pay up front and play the game than have them dangling carrots in my face all day every day about what I can't have or do until I shell out more and more bucks.

Runes of Magic

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Someone should close this thread, it's clear the amount of P2P people with wallet warrior syndrome is too big for rational discourse.

Am I to assume by your post that you are one of the rational ones? 

Considering you judge people by their spending habits? Considering others have already shown extreme bias, painting people in broad strokes, intolerance worthy of XBox Live and many many other things which quite frankly make what little faith in humanity I still have wane, yes. I am.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

You are actually proud about what you said here? Really? Man I am sorry for you ...

Please, can you also provide all with links you download dvdriped/cam movies, cracks, and games? Thanks :)

There's nothing wrong with that. F2P players that pay nothing are part of the F2P business model (i.e one of the reason that makes it successful). By being present they populate the game, interact with others to create parties and participate in various events, participate in the economy, etc. Would F2P players who pay keep paying if they were not able to find players to play with? or if the game was empty? Chances are the answer is 'no'. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You are actually proud about what you said here? Really? Man I am sorry for you ...

Please, can you also provide all with links you download dvdriped/cam movies, cracks, and games? Thanks :)

There's nothing wrong with what he said. It's just your ignornace that shows here.

f2p games like those actually need people like him to help support them. His type of play involves grinding in game money to buy cash shop items from other players. If there were no ppl like him doing it, players who would rather spend real money than real time would have no one to sell to and the system wouldn't work.

It works because it's a balance of people with time and people with money. Some ppl get more satisfaction from working for their items others just want to make the easy gold with cash. nether is mooching off the other, they both have to do their part to make it work.

This discussion has been closed.