Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS NEW TESO news is going to shock you all, literally.

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Originally posted by Zetsuei
    I'd rather they spend all that money that they had spent on VO's to be put towards adding systems like housing or mini-games or such. Or put that extra man-power into improving PvP or PvE whichever one may be lacking. I don't mind VO's for the main story line or whatever, but VO's for side quests is a waste of time. I can read much faster than they can speak. I'd much rather read the side quests any day.

This is the usual problem with full voice acting. They spend so much time and money on them, that other parts of the game suffer horribly. A mix of voice acting and text is a great system, going full blown VA for everything is overkill and I feel a huge waste of time. Make the game fun to play and enjoyable, great VA isn't going to fill that hole. 

Except the fact that that is a misconception. A game project is split up into different departments. No one department works on every part of the game. 

How is it a misconception? Yes they may have different departments working on each thing, but if you CUT OUT the VO department, amazingly enough, you now have money to spend on the other departments. Perhaps you don't agree with my opinion but it was far from a misconception. Perhaps you meant to use more proper wording or you misspoke.

The parts in yellow are the misconception.  It's not like the game is going to be held back because the voice acting isn't complete.  You are correct, however, that it costs money, assuming they are hiring professional voice actors.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Adds nothing to an MMO, but takes up resources.  Only response is 'why?'
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Its old news. Why would anyone be shocked? What new AAA game has quest lines and NPC's you have to read anymore? Skyrim is fully voiced.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The VO in swtor was one thing I actually loved about swtor. SO this is welcome news for me.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

OMG.............

VOICE ACTING?

VOICE ACTING? VOICE......................ACTING?!

Well, jeeze I guess that means this game will be a flop right?

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by grimfall
    I'd rather they spend all that money that they had spent on VO's to be put towards adding systems like housing or mini-games or such. Or put that extra man-power into improving PvP or PvE whichever one may be lacking. I don't mind VO's for the main story line or whatever, but VO's for side quests is a waste of time. I can read much faster than they can speak. I'd much rather read the side quests any day.

This is the usual problem with full voice acting. They spend so much time and money on them, that other parts of the game suffer horribly. A mix of voice acting and text is a great system, going full blown VA for everything is overkill and I feel a huge waste of time. Make the game fun to play and enjoyable, great VA isn't going to fill that hole. 

Except the fact that that is a misconception. A game project is split up into different departments. No one department works on every part of the game. 

How is it a misconception? Yes they may have different departments working on each thing, but if you CUT OUT the VO department, amazingly enough, you now have money to spend on the other departments. Perhaps you don't agree with my opinion but it was far from a misconception. Perhaps you meant to use more proper wording or you misspoke.

The parts in yellow are the misconception.  It's not like the game is going to be held back because the voice acting isn't complete.  You are correct, however, that it costs money, assuming they are hiring professional voice actors.

FIne you can call me out on the first part in yellow, the second part was my opinion. Regardless, I'm sure you are capable of understanding what my point was. It is waste of money if you can put that money on other things that perhaps need it more. I'm basing this on previous experiences regarding VO's in MMO's. Hello SWTOR. Those VO side quests sure are worth all the effort and time. Right.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

Voice acting like Skryim?  The horror of it all!

I personally like the fact they aren't hyping this feature like SWTOR did.  They nonchalantly mentioned it.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Good or bad game, the one thing about full voice overs is that it WILL slow patch rollouts/new content. It's expensive and time consuming.

My hype level just went down from 8 to 7 cause of this. People consume content way too fast these days. They're shooting themselves in the foot a bit with this.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

A little voice over is fine. The mainstory line, having npcs say Hi, etc. Tor had even fetch quests voiced. The voices weren't just reading a little story or filling you in they had a ton of things to say and it changed based on your choices ect.

Here is the thing, after the first time or two people just esc the cut scenes, so while its not a bad thing to have as a dev don't spend to much time/money on them or ignore more important parts of your game.

They don't need more content they have rvr. :P

• Derek79Derek79 Member Posts: 13
    If they took all the money, time, and resources they are spending on full VO and instead used it for just a few more sandbox features it would pay dividends.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

As long as they dont waste 70% of their budget on getting Samuel L Jackson to do the voice of Orcs it will be alright

....Man I just imagined an Orc speaking about snakes on his motherfucking castle...

Where was I?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Skyrim and the other Elder Scroll games have been largley voiced over. So why draw from swtor when you have better games to draw from?

Because as everyone has been saying about the things that are nothing like TES that will be in TESO, this is an MMO not a SRPG.

So, dont argue both sides. Either this is an MMO or this is TES. All full voiceover and WHO is announcing it is just more proof that this is another MMO that is going to bastardize a popular IP with a corporation pulling the strings.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

[mod edit]

Everyone ACTUALLY DOES know that a feature in a game is money and time. Doesnt matter if its a small amount of money or a small amount of time...its time and money not being spent on another part of the game. [mod edit]. Its not just the time to record it, not just the time to have the programmers match the animations to the voice-overs...its also the costs of paying all the actors.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Anybody else read the title and expect something involving electricity?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    so....people are complaining about voiceover and comparing it to swtor ?  So games shouldnt put effort into their games with voice over because SWTOR did it and it sucked? Im kinda lost here ....
  • endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The problem is not too many voiceovers (unless you can't turn them off); the problem is too little of something else that, unlike voiceovers, actually matters.

Agreed.

The only thing I find disconcerting about this is the percentage of the game's budget that must have been appropriated to it. Voice acting can be notoriously expensive, (several hundred thousand dollars per an actor), depending on who you've got doing the voice-overs. 

Originally posted by endgame1
    The problem is not too many voiceovers (unless you can't turn them off); the problem is too little of something else that, unlike voiceovers, actually matters.

Agreed.

The only thing I find disconcerting about this is the percentage of the game's budget that must have been appropriated to it. Voice acting can be notoriously expensive, (several hundred thousand dollars per an actor), depending on who you've got doing the voice-overs. 

GW2 used staff for its voiceovers , is there info up that they are paying actors or something? because if they just have staff doing it , it wouldnt cost them a dime

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Voice acting can indeed help immersion.  Good voice acting costs money though, and bad voice acting causes you to end up talking about mudcrabs again.  And again.

What I find issue with is voice acting makes it much more difficult to change things down the line.  Oops, next to redo  that storyline?  ....  Too bad, it will cost you a four hour block of that actor's time, and they're busy til next week. 

Protaganist voice acting may make me not want to play the character at all.  Yes, I am talking about you, Mr. Male Bounty Hunter

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Skyrim and the other Elder Scroll games have been largley voiced over. So why draw from swtor when you have better games to draw from?

Because as everyone has been saying about the things that are nothing like TES that will be in TESO, this is an MMO not a SRPG.

So, dont argue both sides. Either this is an MMO or this is TES. All full voiceover and WHO is announcing it is just more proof that this is another MMO that is going to bastardize a popular IP with a corporation pulling the strings.

I don't know if you intended it this way, but I just heard everything you wrote in my neighbors voice, a 45 year old New Yorker widow.  She's a powerfull speaker I tell you.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by cronius77

Agreed.

GW2 used staff for its voiceovers , is there info up that they are paying actors or something? because if they just have staff doing it , it wouldnt cost them a dime

GW2 used several professional and well known voice actors, who were absolutely paid for their work. Steve Blum probably commands top dollar.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Voice_actor

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Steve-Blum/

Agreed.

GW2 used several professional and well known voice actors, who were absolutely paid for their work. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Voice_actor

yeah but they also used a lot of in house also employees. I know sarah and matt witter both did voice actting in game and they both also were used as models for some of the games avatars

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Corehaven

If that's what they want to do, so be it. 

They may very well have their priorities in order, and this is one of them.  If that's the case, it may work out fine. 

Swtor did NOT have their priorities in order.  The game was far more lackluster than it should have been, and even then they could have put voice overs into the game.  In my opinion it wasn't the voice overs they did in Swtor that hurt it.  That's fine.  You can do that.  As long as the rest of the game shines. 

If the Elder Scrolls mmo devs know what they're doing, they can get away with this easily.  Do they know what they're doing?  Heck I have no idea. 

That is the big question with this MMO.  It's difficult to discern where their priorities are.  Some info that's come out may have been concerning, but without knowing if it's going to be a major focus for the game or what, who knows.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by spitfire1064
    Originally posted by archeageking

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Still gonna be better than SWTOR man.

that's not much of an accomplishment...

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Pointless thread. Almost everyone I know liked the voice overs in SWTOR and GW2 for that matter.

The problem with SWTOR was that there was nothing to do but Hutball and one or two very poorly made raids that were buggy beyond belief to do once you hit cap.

Agreed.

I am sure that will go over really great seeing as how Oblivion had Patrick Stewart and Skyrim had freaking Max Von Sydow...

Would be another slap in the face of actual FANS of the IP. Hey guys, not only are we going to break lore, make the base game nothing like you would expect from a TES game but we are also going to use in house voiceovers to cheapen the experience!

This discussion has been closed.