Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you buy FF:XIV once it's released, if you haven't played it?

2»

Comments

• AllizarAllizar Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Only if it released F2p. I spent ~120 dollars on that last POS, they didnt give me a beta invite so they can choke on a .....

I feel really burned about it. plus I have legacy friends in the alpha who said they made it into a WoW clone now.

You shouldn't trust someone who both breaks their NDA and judges a game that probably had less than 1% of the total systems in place.  Also, not getting into a beta where hundreds of thousands of people apply should not make one angry at the company; the fact that the game originally sucked should, but at the same time the new producer and team have been doing a fabulous job.

Who cares if they break NDA to family members? The fact I spent a lot of money, they should guarantee all who had a founders account into beta 1 not open beta

You know anyone who bought the original gets into beta 3 (and open beta 4), gets the new game for free and gets a free 30 days right?

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Arterith
    Originally posted by jazz.be

How many Final Fantasy titles have been released the last decade?

I haven't played any of them. So this time I might just jump into it.

But I wonder why they keep releasing new titles, do they kill the previous ones? Or do they just die?

I don't understand.

Just to answer your question, most FFs are console single player games, only 2 of them (XI and XIV) are mmorpgs, XI is still ongoing and have been having updates and all, with a decent player base but since the graphics and gameplay is quite outdated, it isn't that appealing to the modern gamers community.

FFXIV, was released some years ago, it wasn't a successful release, there were of things that could be better for the gameplay, the UI was also slow and confussing, so a new developer team took over and did their best to fix most of the big issues, the game got better after that, fighter battle system and faster UI, plus other additions, but still it seems that there was just so much they could do, so instead of trying to fix it, it was easier for them to remake it and that is where "A Realm Reborn" comes in.

FFXIV:ARR is a improved FFXIV in many was, they use a different graphic engine ( less demanding for the PC min. requierements), the battle system got also a big improvement and things just seem to be better...there isnt a whole lot of information about it now since it is still on Alpha/Beta testing and because of the NDA, no official reviews have been made about every single feature the new version will have.

That's very clear to me, thanks for taking the time to explain the story.

Will they keep XI and XIV alive after launch, have they said anything? It might impact population.

Edit: nevermind XIV, I guess XIV:ARR will replace the original XIV.

And so they have been running two FF MMO's simultaniously? XI and XIV?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

But I wonder why they keep releasing new titles, do they kill the previous ones? Or do they just die?

I don't understand.

Just to answer your question, most FFs are console single player games, only 2 of them (XI and XIV) are mmorpgs, XI is still ongoing and have been having updates and all, with a decent player base but since the graphics and gameplay is quite outdated, it isn't that appealing to the modern gamers community.

FFXIV, was released some years ago, it wasn't a successful release, there were of things that could be better for the gameplay, the UI was also slow and confussing, so a new developer team took over and did their best to fix most of the big issues, the game got better after that, fighter battle system and faster UI, plus other additions, but still it seems that there was just so much they could do, so instead of trying to fix it, it was easier for them to remake it and that is where "A Realm Reborn" comes in.

FFXIV:ARR is a improved FFXIV in many was, they use a different graphic engine ( less demanding for the PC min. requierements), the battle system got also a big improvement and things just seem to be better...there isnt a whole lot of information about it now since it is still on Alpha/Beta testing and because of the NDA, no official reviews have been made about every single feature the new version will have.

Will they keep XI and XIV alive after launch, have they said anything? It might impact population.

yes.. not sure why that would be suprising several companies run multiple MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

I have learned to wait for a trial.  If a game company doesn't stand behind it's game enough to give potential new players a glimps into the game then I generally feel it's probably not going to last that long.

That's not to say I haven't blindly purchased games, just sayin the vast majority of games, including single player games, I've waited.  Found myself saving alot of money.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I don't understand.

Yes but not multiple MMOs that takes place in the same universe.

Most recent examples are SW:TOR and GW2. Both shut down their predecessor.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

How many Final Fantasy titles have been released the last decade? I haven't played any of them. So this time I might just jump into it.   But I wonder why they keep releasing new titles, do they kill the previous ones? Or do they just die? I don't understand.

11 and 14 are MMOs,  all the others are single player RPGs.. 11 is still running

I havent played any either. The ultra asian theme of most has been a big turnoff. I have no intentions of playing this either...especially with it being box price and sub. One or the other would be a bit more reasonable with the way things are going in this industry.

I don't understand.

gw1 is still alive and well.. eq1 and eq2 been running for years.. swtor is in no way shape or form swg predecessor:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    I will buy and play as long as it has nothing to do with F2P.  Even  a F2P whisper and I am gone.

I don't understand.

gw1 is still alive and well.. eq1 and eq2 been running for years.. swtor is in no way shape or form swg predecessor:P

I must be very misinformed about the facts.

Still feels strange but well, it doesn't matter.  Hopefully they at least shutdown the original XIV and give the XIV players a chance to get in the new one for a low price, if not free. Considering it's a remake (fix?)

Not that it matters for me, but having population spread over 3 games sounds a bit strange and stupid.

I don't understand.

I must be very misinformed about the facts.

Still feels strange but well, it doesn't matter.  Hopefully they at least shutdown the original XIV and give the XIV players a chance to get in the new one for a low price, if not free. Considering it's a remake (fix?)

Not that it matters for me, but having population spread over 3 games sounds a bit strange and stupid.

original FFXIV has been shut down for a few now... RR is replacing it completely

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    This might be the one upcoming MMO with a chance of retaining my interest.

+1

+1

+1

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    if i don't get into beta and there is no open beta ill probably wait till more footage and reviews are out to see...

No reason to retype what has already been said.  My feelings exactly.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh... I'm leaning on No though its due to my tainted view having played before original launch and then my bias due to FFXI. I never liked how they handled classes in F14, loving 11 for the fact it made classes feel unique and it made the experience so much better. The whole weapon system really made me so 'meh' to it and just kinda turned me off a lot, taking away from what was in my opinion one of the best class systems in an MMo.

Still the changes itself sort of interest me though its not really all that much to spark me to buy it. I rather have a chance to really try it out before I'd dedicate to buying a game with a monthly fee,  hopefully not having to wait for a free trial and being able to test it.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    if i don't get into beta and there is no open beta ill probably wait till more footage and reviews are out to see...

Beta stage 4 will be an open beta.

Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Beta stage 4 will be an open beta.

just hope ill be in town whenever that happens:)

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I believe beta phase four is scheduled to be the "open beta" of the testing.  It's my assumption that those who signed up for beta will then get in at that point; those who have also bought the game in the past should have access to it as well.

Nah, account holders from the last version get in on phase 3 from what the roadmap says.

EDIT: and i can't really blame them for setting it up this way. legacy members stuck with the game when it was terrible, while the rest didnt. So they give them phase 1 beta access, as they will likely stick around if it sucks. Whereas they wanna make sure by the time they let the rest of the past users(who booked it outta there) the game is just about done.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Anyone voting 'that ship is burned beyond recognition' clearly hasn't read anything about the changes made to the game. The rerelease is essentially a new game and there is no way anyone could yet know the quality of those changes... It really bugs me when people pass judgement without reading anything about it.

You clearly werent burned by SE and XIV

Oh believe me I was, but I have the ability to read the changes made and I recognise that they have made vast improvements. You understand that a new producer and director made the rerelease right? He has a different vision and has overhauled the ENTIRE game's systems. Not a single thing remains unchanged. They're even on an entirely different engine.

This is a different game to the original XIV release, hence the title change.

Too many people like yourself seem to just think they're repackaging the same game. Do a bit of research and read what's been changed. They have specific details on a lot of things, and the impressions from the press event last week have all been positive.

Research means nothing without having it in hand to try. All research gives me is Dev talk and hype. I will not believe a word of any game producer, as all their projects are AAA wow busters

I'm not talking about hype, I'm talking about specific changes to the combat system, specific changes to regions, specific systems implemented to solve the problems of the original release. SE have not been hyping ARR much at all, and they certainly haven't ever claimed to be making a WoW killer (this game won't kill WoW as it's aimed at a different audience).

There are certain things released by them that are undeniable facts... just learn to filter any hype.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I am interested in an open beta / free trial.  Very unlikely to buy any new MMO without one of those two options first.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Pointless thread... OPEN BETA means OPEN TO EVERYONE.

Phase 4, end of discussion.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

1. FF name/IP means a lot to me - great characters, music, worlds

2. Trinity "classic" MMO combat with a large focus on grouping

3. Amazing graphics, appears to be very solid engine this time around

4. Can learn all jobs/classes on one character - most amazing part of game IMO

5. Housing (eventually)

6. Complete focus on PvE, PvP total afterthought

7. Subscription based game

8. Cross platform/console support/future

Hits on just about everything I want in a MMO right now.

I stayed away at launch of 1.0 due to the ridiculously bad beta feedback that leaked out. If anything I am so totally curious because a complete remake and relaunch of a "failed" MMO is a first in this industry.

All signs from recent press from many, many sources all point to a really solid and good game. I do like how much love and faith the community has for Yoshi-P.

Yeah, I'm sold.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    If I bought FFXIV Will I have to rebuy FXIV:ARR?  Will I lose my pre-order items from FFXIV?  Is there an FAQ somewhere that I over looked with all these questions already answered?
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko
    If I bought FFXIV Will I have to rebuy FXIV:ARR?  Will I lose my pre-order items from FFXIV?  Is there an FAQ somewhere that I over looked with all these questions already answered?

If you own the Original you dont have to buy ARR.