Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: All About Guild Missions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet's Leah Rivera has written a new blog post on the official Guild Wars 2 site to lay out the details on Guild Missions. According to Rivera, the goal of the team was to provide guilds with a solid PvE foundation that can be expanded upon over time.

Guild missions are a new, unlockable, gameplay type that your guild can earn through the guild tech tree. These missions are all aimed at group, coordinated play, so kicking off a mission without anyone around to help you isn’t advisable.

“But what if my guild is super small?” you may say? Not to worry—all these missions take place in the persistent world, which gives you the ability to rally people from the surrounding countryside and maybe make some new friends in the process!

Read the full post on the Guild Wars 2 site and check out this new video to give a visual look at guild missions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Not too impressive. A lot seems like its more so 'single' player focused, with just the guild being tacked in outside I'd assume bounty or challenge (which could be the same). The puzzle map itself looks pretty interesting though, granted I'm sure it becomes repetative once you know it, still could be fun a couple times through. Just didnt' seem like they capitalized on it being a 'guild question' in terms of making more cooperative things with it, the races looking more like you can compete against each other (which is a fun mini game don't get me wrong) and the puzzle map just doesn't seem like they showed anything to push cooperation like multiple player switches or other features.

Again... I do love the look of the puzzle map, just fail to see what really makes it a 'guild' quest. 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    I'm plesently surprised. This looks awesome and fun.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    about time we get some pve and guild focus and make the community matter this is a step forward. Maybe not whast i was full heartedly was looking for but its a step in the right direction.
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Not too impressive. A lot seems like its more so 'single' player focused, with just the guild being tacked in outside I'd assume bounty or challenge (which could be the same). The puzzle map itself looks pretty interesting though, granted I'm sure it becomes repetative once you know it, still could be fun a couple times through. Just didnt' seem like they capitalized on it being a 'guild question' in terms of making more cooperative things with it, the races looking more like you can compete against each other (which is a fun mini game don't get me wrong) and the puzzle map just doesn't seem like they showed anything to push cooperation like multiple player switches or other features.

Again... I do love the look of the puzzle map, just fail to see what really makes it a 'guild' quest. 

Arenanet said that missions will be challenging and require a lot of coordination. Info in blog post is basic and we don't really know much yet until we play it, so you can't assume it's "single player"...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I'm plesently surprised. This looks awesome and fun.

yup looks fun. .also glad I can jump in and enjoy the new quests not just with my guilds but anyone's

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Well ... To be honest this wakes my interrest as a GuildWars player. I may have my conflicts with GuildWars 2 but I'll give those Guild Missions a try. Thanks for info.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

How can you tell so much from seeing so little?

This is not a game.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Looks fun my guild is already preping up for these events!-cant wait.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

How can you tell so much from seeing so little?

funny- perhaps you should join a more interactive guild my guild mates n I all go do puzzle as a group on vent-its a blast!..like 14 of us go at a time or more... you maybe doin it all wrong, or maybe in the wrong guild.

<.<

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    or hes one of these anti social players with chat turned off :)
  • arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124
    My favorite mmo just keeps getting better. I can be a bounty hunter what! 
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I truly hope the multi-group missions require more than a couple of zergs running around. We already got that. GW2 really needs events for multiple organized groups.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    ive been pretty negative about this game since release but reading up on this update and the one coming in march seems like they fully intent and are acting on making the game much more fun. Guild quests might not be perfect but anything to give a community or guild more options to entertain their members besides realm vs realm end game only or dungeon running over and over is a great thing.
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Chicken races.. im sold.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    [mod edit]

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    I truly hope the multi-group missions require more than a couple of zergs running around. We already got that. GW2 really needs events for multiple organized groups.

You obviously havent been with an organized group - haven't been with any zergs (hate the term).

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Eh, it's a step in the right direction, it sounds interesting. The hard part is going to be getting a guild big enough to do all the missions with, because regardless of what they say I doubt a guild will want to just invite random people through the countryside.

I wouldn't say fall from grace, this game is a great game and will be around for a while, but they are going to have to do better than this to get me or the guild I usually run with back anytime soon.

Props to them for stepping up to the plate, it's more than some other companies do these days.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Eh, it's a step in the right direction, it sounds interesting. The hard part is going to be getting a guild big enough to do all the missions with, because regardless of what they say I doubt a guild will want to just invite random people through the countryside.

I wouldn't say fall from grace, this game is a great game and will be around for a while, but they are going to have to do better than this to get me or the guild I usually run with back anytime soon.

Props to them for stepping up to the plate, it's more than some other companies do these days.

why not though? you want to complete a mission you need help why not just grab someone near by

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

why not though? you want to complete a mission you need help why not just grab someone near by

The same reason I don't grab random people in any game, because roughly 3/4 of the time from my experience we were better off without their 'help'. It's why I make friends and build my own groups or guild groups. If I wanted to play with random people I'd go play an ARPG, MMO's foster guild/teamwork for me.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm surprised. While I'd never do the jump puzzle (vertigo) I'd definitely do the mazes and the little chicken/wolf races and the things at the end that would be fun.

Altho I wonder if we'd get to the end and people with DR wouldn't get the chest that's supposed to popup with the reward.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

The same reason I don't grab random people in any game, because roughly 3/4 of the time from my experience we were better off without their 'help'. It's why I make friends and build my own groups or guild groups. If I wanted to play with random people I'd go play an ARPG, MMO's foster guild/teamwork for me.

guess that's why its great you can have multiple guilds... you can't finish one with your current guild look over and see if your other guilds have some people on and grab someone from there.. i currently run in about 4 guilds.. two are pretty large so shouldn't really be an issue

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

some of my best times in Everquest dungeons was in pickup groups -- grouping with random strangers

PUGs can be irritating for some players, but i love them and i often made new mmo friends because PUG

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

*yawn*

More jumping puzzles and boss zergs...wake me up if something interesting happens.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Looks rather boring to be honest. They need to think of something new one day.
    Originally posted by Deto123
    Looks rather boring to be honest. They need to think of something new one day.

Chicken race is something I've never seen before :D