Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Elder Scrolls VI

PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

We all have our favorite TES for various reasons. There are polls in other threads as to that topic. 

Looking back on the entire TES seriesup to now -- each game with its own strengths and weaknesses --  if you could offer feedback and you knew Todd Howard would read it, what would you tell him you want (or don't want)  for TES VI in terms of design, gameplay, story, depth, complexity, whatever?

Edit: For whatever it's worth, here's an opinion on Skyrim that made me think about this topic -- 

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoshBycer/20130219/186935/The_Short_End_of_Skyrim.php

Edit 2: Bonus video recalls the glory of Morrowind combat:

Comments

• Skooma2Skooma2 Glenview, ILPosts: 694Member Uncommon
    Pauldrons.  I want pauldrons again.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    Pauldrons.  I want pauldrons again.

Yes, I wondered what happened to those. Why did they taken them out???  Was it the first dumbing down of TES???

• Skooma2Skooma2 Glenview, ILPosts: 694Member Uncommon
    And medium armor again.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,941Member Uncommon

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything.  My only comment, "good job, I hope to see more in the future".

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member

I would tell him I would not want him to allow the company to be taken over by a corporation that was going to allow the IP to be bastardized to the point I wont buy TES games anymore. I will not give money to a company willing to do shit like that to its fans.

I said it, deal with it, I stick to my beliefs and dont whore myself or what I like out.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• maddog15amaddog15a Independence, MOPosts: 83Member Uncommon

A Story focusing on a more political level.  Possibly an invasion for the continent of Akavir.  While I loved the main story of Skyrim with a more born into destiny story focus.  I felt the whole civil war wasn't as indepth as it could have been.

I would also like if they would stop with the halfed assed immersion systems, Skyrim's marriage system was fun for kicks but had no effect on the world and was full of bugs.  Being able to marry into the black briar family or the High Queen of Skyrim would have been interesting especialy if it opened up new mechanics or affected the world in some way.

I also would have liked it if compainions had more depth to them(like Fallout new vegas) even if this meant less of them.  So far the only compainion ive realy liked was Serana, while in Fallout NV I liked cared about every compainion because they had substance to them.

• SiderasSideras HelsingborgPosts: 231Member
    More freedom in interacting with NPCs, real choices and consequences, different UIs between consoles and PC versions and a combat system that is good. Yeah and bring back medium armor and pauldrons, customisation is a must in an RPG and stop streamlining and dumbing down shit.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member

I would like to see some skills make a return like Athleticism, Acrobatics and Climbing (They took this out after Daggerfall). I would also like them to greatly expand upon the crafting in the game. Skyrim was a good start but far too limiting. I would also like classes to return sort of like they were in Dungeon Siege. In other words you don't pick a class from a list the game picks a class by the way you play. For example if you are heavy on Sword, Shield, Heavy Armor and Restoration the game will label you a Knight and NPCs will respond to you accordingly. I would also like the NPCs, particularly your followers to be less a part of the scenery and seem more alive. As said before Serena was the only NPC in the whole game they did this with. Oh... and of course bring back the old armor systems with seperate greaves and pauldrons. Also Medium Armors.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Spell creation system like Morrowind
    Fighters / mages / theives in every town like Morrowind not in one fixed place
    Separate start for each race
    Mounted combat
    New riding and mounted combat skills
    More exclusive factions like the houses in Morrowind.
  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Simplify the game play please.... I want the Internet to burn with nerd rage.  That would be funny

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DraemosDraemos Antartica, AKPosts: 1,469Member

I liked Morrowinds loot system a lot better.  You'd go dungeon diving or looking for daedric items and you get some really awesome stuff.  I don't mind leveled loot, but the best items need to be hand placed stuff like in Morrowind.

Also, skyrims alchemy/smithing/enchanting system are over the top and game breaking.

• WarmakerWarmaker San Diego, CAPosts: 2,231Member
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

We all have our favorite TES for various reasons. There are polls in other threads as to that topic. 

Looking back on the entire TES seriesup to now -- each game with its own strengths and weaknesses --  if you could offer feedback and you knew Todd Howard would read it, what would you tell him you want (or don't want)  for TES VI in terms of design, gameplay, story, depth, complexity, whatever?

Edit: For whatever it's worth, here's an opinion on Skyrim that made me think about this topic -- 

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoshBycer/20130219/186935/The_Short_End_of_Skyrim.php

Regarding that link, I'm amused the author considered Skyrim's story a strong point.  Even me as a longtime TES fan, TES main storylines are the weakest point of the entire game, but maybe that's just me image

He also heavily alludes to Dark Souls, which I do have on the PS3, and it is a magificent Action RPG, regardless of platform (though the PC release of this title is flawed... feel free to read up on it).  The combat in DS is vastly superior and more involved, and yes, it has to be restated that wielding the wide array of weapon types (various 1h weapons, 2h weapons, axes, maces, spears, pikes, bows, etc) all feel distinctly different, and you'll wish you were proficient with each of them at one point or another.  It's combat system is also quite merciless, but it makes each fight matter that much more, with bosses being a terror as well as being impressive in looks and scale.

The fault I give Dark Souls is the game world.  The game world is small from what I'm used to with the TES titles, as well as forcing you down a limited series of paths.  I personally prefer a huge game world that lets me "play around" as much as I like, and freely travel and explore.  This has always been Bethesda's strongest point with its RPGs.

My ideal TES title would have:

1.  [Holy Grail] - Tamriel and all its provinces.  Yeah, I know, keep on dreaming.

2.  Maintain a distincness in style, architecture, culture between the provinces.

3.  Maintain the open nature, the freedom in the game world as past TES titles.

4.  More involved combat.  Dark Souls is a good example of having an outstanding combat system with very distinct styles in each weapon group.

5.  And of course, continued Mod Support!

6.  Multiplayer capable, maybe Co-Op at most, with the game scaling things for multiple players.

Personally, I don't give a **** about a "good story," just as long as the background is sufficient.  What I *do* care about is a large, magnificent game world to adventure and have fun in, as well as deep enough, fun gameplay.  I want to do alot of things in a well made world.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)