Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: Sending Out a Decoy

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    generic very average shooter nothing you have no played 100's of times already.

Except is an average shooter in an MMO setting, which is new.  Firefall is the only other example, and it's been spinning its wheels for years

tabula rasa was a average third person shooter in a MMO setting.. didn't turn out well.. there have actually and still are a couple shooter MMOs just none are very good(imho)

Tabula Rasa was a terrible shooter, you might as well throw Fallen Earth in there too.  Their combat systems where hindrances because they are hamfisted.    Defiance is a significantly better shooter than either.

quality wise i don't find them much differn't at all honestly(tabula vs defiance)... hopefully they pull out some big changes for launch.. we will see

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by spawn12345
    Originally posted by ragz45

I have heard a lot of hubbub on the internet that it is almost impossible to group up with your friends in the current beta.  

• You can't invite people to group that are not standing directly in front of you.
    • Servers are devided up into multiple instances or shards in order to spread players out a bit.  If my friend is on one shard, and I'm on another shard.  I can't switch to his shard to group up with him.
    Hearing these two facts made me loose pretty much all interest I had in the game.  Maybe they will fix this before launch.  But that launch is getting really close.

BETA!

Thats why its under NDA so crap like this wont come out because its something that will be fixed

While I agree that things like this may be fixed.  I've also heard that tune soo many times it hurts my ears now.  DAOC had exactly the same problems that are being reported with Defiance durring the beta, DAOC was a nightmare at release.  People said all of the problems with WAR would be fixed by relese.  The fanboys also said the problems with SW:ToR would be ironed out within a month or two of release.  Etc etc etc....

Instead history has shown us, that at this stage in the game, it's too late to put in large changes into a game that is being polished for shipping.  They are focused on bug fixes, fleshing out storyline & cut scenes, and finializing network issues at this point in the production process.  CORE systems like grouping, and shard switching should have long since been implimented.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Except is an average shooter in an MMO setting, which is new.  Firefall is the only other example, and it's been spinning its wheels for years

tabula rasa was a average third person shooter in a MMO setting.. didn't turn out well.. there have actually and still are a couple shooter MMOs just none are very good(imho)

Tabula Rasa was a terrible shooter, you might as well throw Fallen Earth in there too.  Their combat systems where hindrances because they are hamfisted.    Defiance is a significantly better shooter than either.

quality wise i don't find them much differn't at all honestly(tabula vs defiance)... hopefully they pull out some big changes for launch.. we will see

I'd have to say you haven't played both games then, or you just have a very odd way of judging shooters.   I don't really see any need for big changes, other than porting issues.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I'd have to say you haven't played both games then, or you just have a very odd way of judging shooters.   I don't really see any need for big changes, other than porting issues.

i'd say i played both for about the same amount of time overall(which obviously isn't much) but i actually enjoyed my time in tabula rasa more but that could of also been the time that came out as well.. so take it how you will...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Akuja

Not even the Guy posting know's too much.. His info is probably weeks old. The content is changing on a weekly basis.

Im guessing most die hard COD and BF3 fans are expecting killstreak type Abilities, but lets look at them. At the top there are multiple Killstreak rewards (abilities), but you can only have 3 on a loadout. They are game breaking to the point of absurdity in some cases.

For the MMO fans they are expecting 3-4 sets of Hotbars Loaded up with Keyboard mashing type abilities.

This is an FPS based MMO, where Killstreaks arent needed and mutliple hotbars are just stupid. Its a point, shoot and blow stuff up type of game similar to the style of borderlands.. But wait that only gave you one ability per Class you player right ??

Perks in Defiance allow you to beef up your Passive and Reactive part of your character to allow you to Go Hard or Go Home longer.

Why would BF3 fans expect or even want killstreaks? There are no killstreaks in Battlefield. In fact, most BF3 players I know despise the concept of killstreaks.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Have you really played 100's of shooters?  Admittedly, I am not a big fan of them, I've probably played 10.  But 100's?  That's a lot.

• DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Member Posts: 39

As for the skills and being able to make different builds, all I will say is that there is no such thing as "BEST". I know people think there is, but there isn't. You might be able to make a melee class that does the most DPS, or a tank that can handle the most damage, but are those builds the "BEST"? No, they are all situational things built to suit roles. You could argue "it's the best DPS build", or "Best tank build", but even that may not be true, because by simply changing the type of enemy you are fighting that build you have might go from being super awesome, to being total crap. Now I haven't played the beta enough to know if that's the case with defiance, but it's something that can be implimented. If a hand full of builds end up being the only thing people use they can simply introduce something that counters it. Also keep in mind that this game is also tied in to the TV Series, and they will affect eachother. So if something happens in the series, it will carry over to the game supposidly.

As for the game itself and if it's good or not, all it took was a few minutes for me to figure out I liked it enough to pre-order the Ultimate Edition. It reminds me a bit of Tabula Rasa, which I REALLY liked a lot. Someone above mentioned Fallen Earth, which I've also played (and also liked quite a bit). TR did get old for me after a while (everything does), while Fallen Earth got too difficult (it's difficult venturing the wastes alone. You die a lot). Defiance is much much more like a FPS than either of those however. There is no tab-targeting at all. Honestly I think people should give is a try (get in one of the beta weekends if you can, or the eventual open beta they are bound to have) and try it before you decide either way. I wasn't that interested until I actually played.

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I knew someone was going to mention Tabula Rasa. I'd say Tabula Rasa was more than an average mmo. I'd say it was a pretty great one. The crappy part  was, it was an american based mmo. Under a company with a horrible record for making an mmo that wasn't based out of Korea. How many american mmos did PlayNC shutdown that were american based. Auto Assault,  Dungeon Runner and Tabula Rasa. Tabula Rasa failed because of the lack of ingame support and unfixed bugs. If not for that TR would have been a great alteranative to playing World of Warcraft. Plus all the legal issues they were having in court with Richard Garriot, which I think he won. It sound lto me like they were trying to make it fail.

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Quailman

Not even the Guy posting know's too much.. His info is probably weeks old. The content is changing on a weekly basis.

Im guessing most die hard COD and BF3 fans are expecting killstreak type Abilities, but lets look at them. At the top there are multiple Killstreak rewards (abilities), but you can only have 3 on a loadout. They are game breaking to the point of absurdity in some cases.

For the MMO fans they are expecting 3-4 sets of Hotbars Loaded up with Keyboard mashing type abilities.

This is an FPS based MMO, where Killstreaks arent needed and mutliple hotbars are just stupid. Its a point, shoot and blow stuff up type of game similar to the style of borderlands.. But wait that only gave you one ability per Class you player right ??

Perks in Defiance allow you to beef up your Passive and Reactive part of your character to allow you to Go Hard or Go Home longer.

Why would BF3 fans expect or even want killstreaks? There are no killstreaks in Battlefield. In fact, most BF3 players I know despise the concept of killstreaks.

I thought BF3 did have killstreaks, just not killstreaks to call in a chopper or a Nuke. It would just say how many people you killed in a row.

• kilbert66kilbert66 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by spawn12345
    Originally posted by evemaster00
    Woot, decoy, one of the whopping 4 abilities in the entire game. 4 whole abilities. Smashing records Trions!

with 100s ways to configure them...

Not really. You can have 1 active ability, and a maximum of ~6 perks. Perks don't really change anything, other than allowing minor adaptation towards your own playstyle. As for guns, they don't change much--it's not like in TSW where weapons are skillsets. Weapons are just weapons.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

BS.

Nobody is looking for killstreaks, where did you even get that from? Is this just a way for you to shout people down? "Oh they must be cod players" , or we could be mmorp'ers looking for more information on the variants, because all I've seen (much like everyone else) is a few skills and no real configurations.

I have not one time since following this game anyone refer it to anything COD like.

Don't niche "mmofans" and what "we" expect, that's what YOU expect and do.

I personally was expecting alot more than ripping off stanza idea's from Ryzom , but that is just I.