Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Does GW still work for you?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

It's been a while but I'm still enjoying the game. Given I dont get to play much, I think is works perfectly for me as a casual MMORPG that gets me my MMO fix without taking too much time. I also feel like I have plenty of game left to discover (I'm lvl 78 and a string of varying alts).

As a serious THIS IS MY GAME type of MMO, no. As a casual void filler that I can play once in a while until something like a Camelot Unchained (hopefully) comes out, perfect.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    It's still the only MMO I play now. I won't deny being a complete fanboy of it, not at all. For me, best game on the market.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Puerto OrdazPosts: 1,065Member Uncommon

Apart from a few TSW play sessions here and there, it's my main MMO right now, and loving every minute of it. I can see why someone might not like it, though, and of course no game is for everyone, but at least for me it's the game that fits the most of what I'm looking for in an MMO for the time being.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just sit back at work while I read this thread later, I'm sure it'll be full of well reasoned and level headed responses from both sides (grabs popcorn).. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,825Member Uncommon

Watched the gameplay footage summer 2011 and I was hooked.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Newark, DEPosts: 225Member Uncommon

I was bouncing around a few MMOs when I saw an Angry Joe review of Guild Wars 2 in December.  So I bought it and started playing.

I thought I was going to hate it.  First impressions are terrible. I hated (and still do) the "my story" thing, because it isn't MY story, not by a long shot.

Man, once I made it outside the starting "cinematic", I was hooked. I take GW2 for what it is... a brand spanking new MMO that is less than six months old. The game is quite innovative on a lot of fronts.

I let my daughter create a character and play on my account, and before you know it; I was buying her a copy and installing it on her computer.

I still play it just about every day.

Top Games Played in 2015: World of Tanks, Tera, World of Warships

• AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Casual game/every once in a while gets my vote. It's a fun game, but it doesn't have enough to do for a veteran gamer yet. It's a good thing it's B2P in a few years this game might have a bunch of goodies! :D

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member
    I feel largely indifferent to it, it's just not my sort of game; but can't pick any of the options you gave me.  
  • QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

Played it during beta and had a pre-order.  Played it for about 3 months, maxed a character.   Found the lack of the holy trinity a huge turnoff as well as the nearly 100% solo playstyle until you get into the every-man-for-himself instances.

I'm not gonna say it's a shitty game because that would do it a complete injustice considering I think the game was very polished when it was released (relative to other MMO releases) but, in the end, it just distils down to the same-ole MMO themepark.  Which ISN'T A BAD THING, it just means it had a limited term of life on my computer.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    400+ hours since launch and counting.. still best themepark MMO out there right now imho despite its flaws(of course all games have tons of flaws).. loving my mesmer and love how many options I have to play this class has been a great deal of fun.. really a lot more fun than my warrior and thief

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly genevaPosts: 734Member

I'm casual because it's not only game I play now (all casual tho), still looking for "home" game.
    When I got much to do it was not bad and I can call this time: play game.
    Now I'm going there for some and same activities, like few farm (for nothing, just something to do) and dailies.
    I should may be starting to do all dungeons, but I find them not good so can't force me.

Seems I hit the wall, when I don't have anything I want to do, excited to do it.

I still like this game look so it my picture game, same as Aion or Tera, I go there to admire graphic art.

Bad luck as GW2 was my biggest hope as my home game, missing time of GW1 even more...

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon

I'm at over 700 hours played now...

I tried WoW:Pandaria, leveled my DK to 90... and I barely log in anymore. Just the thought of getting another character through exactly the same boring quest hubs makes me sick.

It's just hard to go back to a standard WoW clone after playing GW2.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

Hate is probally the wrong term to use.. but i jsut find it really boring and did from the first week it was released.

Game is just not for me....

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Hate is probally the wrong term to use.. but i jsut find it really boring and did from the first week it was released.

Do you still play? To be hanging around the forums all this time if you haven't played after the first week seems... odd. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CheriseCherise Cincinnati, OHPosts: 232Member
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    I feel largely indifferent to it, it's just not my sort of game; but can't pick any of the options you gave me.  

This for me.  I'm not sure why "hate" is the only option if not playing anymore, so didn't vote.  I played for 3 months since my guild was there and really wanted to like it.  But just not my type of game.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Star CItyPosts: 294Member

Quit looooong time ago.

Got boring really fast tbh.

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    I've mostly stopped playing while I wait for the endlessly delayed WvW changes patch. Once in a while I login and work on an alt for a day or two then get bored again. If the game weren't B2P, I would consider it somewhat of a failure for me.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member

I am still playing - enjoying my Norn Ranger and Charr Guardian (both lvl 80) - working on a few more.

To the people who say they got bored - that happens but how many hours in a row did you play. I think many people who say they get bored, play 8-10 hours a day. ANY game would get boring playing that much.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member
    Originally posted by meddyck

I've mostly stopped playing while I wait for the endlessly delayed WvW changes patch. Once in a while I login and work on an alt for a day or two then get bored again. If the game weren't B2P, I would consider it somewhat of a failure for me.

WvW changes were announced to be coming in two parts in February and March. The Feb update was then delayed to March.

Hardly an endless delay. :p
  • 77777777 Nowhere, MOPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Do you still play? To be hanging around the forums all this time if you haven't played after the first week seems... odd. 

By that logic, this whole style of poll would be odd, as there should be little to no people venturing to this forum to downvote.

Besides, people can see recently active threads from the front page and jump to them from there, without actively scouring the forums.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member
    Originally posted by botrytis

I am still playing - enjoying my Norn Ranger and Charr Guardian (both lvl 80) - working on a few more.

To the people who say they got bored - that happens but how many hours in a row did you play. I think many people who say they get bored, play 8-10 hours a day. ANY game would get boring playing that much.

For me a couple of hours a night for about a month- six weeks.  I really wanted to like it, and was bored after a fortnight but kept playing hoping it would improve.  It just didn't..  I basically didn;t get any sense of immersion, it all just felt too plastic and gimmicky.  

• scragcatscragcat long beach, WAPosts: 94Member

Definately 'like it'

B2P model is really nice, Graphics are good enough eye candy and the world feels very much alive.

Would love it BUT so so hate the character progression model..Classes and no stat/skill gain really outside of Magic Armor/Weapons got old for me in Warcraft (probably a design decision to draw from WoWs playerbase?)  I just don't feel i have any say to my avatars growth.....Magic Weapons are okay by me but every single piece of Armor being magical just is annoying as hell lol

If this game had something based on the UO skill/stat progression model i would be playing 5 times more than i do now

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

My favorite part of the game was getting further along in the world and realizing they built the entire game around the idea that the higher you lvl the more intense the zones become until by the end your in an NPC warzone from the start.

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by botrytis

That might be true of many people but not me. When I played GW 2 frequently, it was mostly for 2 or 3 hours a day split across 2 or 3 play sessions. But even that was enough after 2 or so months of playing for me to become bored.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• mikahrmikahr ZagrebPosts: 1,066Member
    Its the best value on the market (including F2P MMOs). So yes.
  • TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    I still play it.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• eliteroelitero fremont, CAPosts: 263Member Uncommon
    pffffffffttttt cancled my sub aug 28th 2012