Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What can be done to make portable MMOs and MMORPGs more fun?

MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,258Member Uncommon

T

W

Whats needed in your opinion to make portable MMOs and MMORPGs more fun away from the big computers?

With the growing power and trend of the portable mobile pc market, from tablets to smartphones, to other new devices on the way,

what can be done to make portable MMOs and MMORPGs more fun and enjoyable?

Although I had the idea long before CCP, I really like the concept behind Dust 514 and EvE's cross platform interactions. They both effect each other on different systems and different point of view, which makes both game seem separated but still apart.

An Idea I believe could be fun would be to take this above idea to a new level.
A portable MMO that could be something like a RTSMMO that has direct connection to a PC 3D MMORPG. Players of the portable RTSMMO would control the monsters that the players in the MMORPG have to battle against to defend their game world.
two different platforms and two different gameplay point of views. both effect each other. this way the gameplay is always truly dynamic and never predictable like AI intelligence is. Keeps both sides on their toes.

I suggested something like this for Rift in the past when they added their Rift Mobile app. I saw the opportunity for Rift to add a cross platform way to make Dynamic Events and Invasions, really dynamic this time using player controlled monster game to battle the players in Rift.

but is something like that above ahead of its time?

what ideas you have?

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    I'd imagine a Planetarion / Dominion / King of the Dragon Pass sort of MMO for mobile devices would do pretty well. I'm also sure there are some, but I haven't heard of any.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member

a keyboard and a mouse

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,681Member Uncommon

You probably would have liked BattleSwarm, where one side is playing an FPS and the other side is playing an RTS.

If you're looking to cross mobile gaming with PC gaming, something in a modern or cyberpunk theme would work well, as the mobile side of it could be in the form of a persistent ARG, and it would fit well with the tech.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre