Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest year for MMORPG's?

2»

Comments

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by snoop101

Other than what was also mentioned your list lacks some huge games.   

Firefall is huge and will be even bigger when released.

Defiance is also going to be something to look foreward too. I mean come on this will be the first time (im pretty sure) that a MMO has been tied into an ongoing TV show. Also the game play looks awesome.

If you like playing solo 100% of the time, having about the same FPS mechanics as Duke Nukem (the first one), and can handle a console ported UI (think DCUO upon release).  Sure, yep.

To be honest I have not played it. I have just seen vids and think its awesome that it ties into the TV show every week.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

I was mildly interested in NWN, then I saw the videos...

now I think I wont play any MMO this year

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    We get one of these threads every year. Every year we are all. Looking at the list of the upcoming big games. Most of the games are actually quite fun , but fall flat For some reason or another. ..this year will probably prove no different... IF EQNEXT does launch. Well then it will be big . 
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Every year is the biggest year, until the majority of the releases disappoint and the next year becomes the biggest year. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Quantity doesn't matter, quality does.

Just sort the game list here on mmorpg by date. You will see that every year at most 1-2 real MMORPG's were released. That number stayed more or less constant over time. But the number of MMO-like games increased each year. Unfortunately they are all crap and not worth to spend any time on them.

This year is not different. Just more copy&paste than the years before.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well the main game im looking forward to this year is The Repopulation..

I dont think we will be seeing EQ Next release this year or Archeage but maybe beta access so who knows. but for now there is only one on my radar this year..

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Every year is the biggest year, until the majority of the releases disappoint and the next year becomes the biggest year. 
    LOL but very true!

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

as Ive posted in the past,  2003 was the biggest year for mmorpgs

Pre2001
    Everquest, Ultima Online, Lineage

Anarchy Online, Asherons Call, Dark Age of Camelot

Asherons Call 2, Earth & Beyond, Final Fantasy XI

Shadowbane, Eve Online, Lineage II ,Second Life, Star Wars Galaxies, Horizons (now called Istaria)

early 2004
    City of Heroes

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    2013 will be a lame year, because Star Citizen, Elite and World of Darkness will not come out before 2014

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Just a hunch, with no expansion and two content patches this year, WoW will still top the charts and be the most popular and least talked about MMO on this site.
  • MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    forgot possibly archage, wildstar, the repopulation, blade & soul, black desert.. not sure if all will make it for 2013 though but at least a few of those will.. but yes 2013 looks ot be a hell of a year for MMOs

Tion has confirmed ArcheAge will have a 2013 release date.

I read the other week that Wildstar is expected to be released end of 2013 too.

I doubt the others though will release in 2013, the only one I can see possibly releasing is Blade and Soul, and only because it's NCSoft.

I'm most looking forward to ESO, Wildstar but mainly ArcheAge.

2013 will be the most interesting and biggest year for MMO's in a long time if - ArcheAge, Wildstar, ESO, EQ Next and Defiance release.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

well certainly are a ton of MMOs, or seudo MMOs coming out this year, but the last couple of years have been absolutely filled with them.

also Archeage, supposed to come out this year as well

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Malacth

Tion has confirmed ArcheAge will have a 2013 release date.

oh nice, i aint been keeping up with things for a few weeks.. that is good news if it is the case :)

OK so the repopulation, archeage and EQnext if we see that this year..

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Not a one of those is a MMORPG. Only one with a chance is EQNext but there hasn't been anything on that being a game in months. Neverwinter is just using the D&D name to make a single player action game online. Alread played PoE and if I wanted to play gauntlet arcade game I would just go buy there. Tera failed in beta, won't go back to Runescape.

Developers need to start stepping up to meet the gaming requirements to be MMORPGs but they just want the cash and don't want decicated long lasting games because they don't make money on them fast enough.

Just more crap on the horizon. Only qualified MMORPG was Xsyon but no one wanted to play a real MMORPG so it failed. Next one to wait on is Pathfinder Online but that will be to hard for more players on these forums (The people that believe there is such a thing as a casual MMO gamer!)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by CaptShatner

There are so many big MMORPG's coming out this year, it's crazy.

Just a lot of MMORPG news in general. What are you looking forward to this year?

With so much happening just in the first month and a half of 2013, what are you looking forward to playing?

(I'm personally excited about FFXIV just because I love player housing and the Final Fantasy series.)

There seems to be something for everyone this year. The below list is just some of what's on the way.

5th Anniversary:

• LOTRO
    • Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

10th Anniversary:

• EVE Online
    • Entropia Universe
    • FFXI
    • Second Life
    • ToonTown
    • Puzzle Pirates
    • Horizons
    2013 Releases
    • Defiance
    • Age of Wushu

Possible 2013 Releases
    • Wildstar
    • World of Warships
    • Dragon's Prophet
    • Transformers Universe
    • The Repopulation

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Just a lot of MMORPG news in general. What are you looking forward to this year?

With so much happening just in the first month and a half of 2013, what are you looking forward to playing?

(I'm personally excited about FFXIV just because I love player housing and the Final Fantasy series.)

In your attempt to justify an assertion as grandiose as "possibly the biggest year," the best you can come up with is a list that includes a game that was released last year but has recently changed its payment model, a revision of a failed game, a dungeon crawler that isn't even an MMORPG by many standards, and an old game that may be reverting to the state it was in 6 years ago?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

O

D

wait so EQN has something to reveal this year?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I would bet ArcheAge gets released in the west this year too.

Looking like a great year for MMO's, really hoping alot of these titles are successful and continue to show the suits that MMO's are a good thing to invest in.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Really not seeing anything that I find personally interesting.

I'm wondering how many DAOC clones we need.

Well TBH I'll take a year or 2 of DAoC clones over the last 7 years of WoW clones.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

For me as being sick ThemeParks, I would say no. All those games on your list are ThemeParks, except Path of Exile which is not even an MMO, Runescape which way, way too old and EQNext which has allegedly some sandbox features but that is all talk for now.

Now on the other side, if Repopulation and ArcheAge gets released this year (doubt it) it might be the year where we finally get a good sandbox title.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Really not seeing anything that I find personally interesting.

I'm wondering how many DAOC clones we need.

Well TBH I'll take a year or 2 of DAoC clones over the last 7 years of WoW clones.

Are they all that different? DAoC was a "refinement" of EQ 1 and so was WoW. WoW was released much later and was quest based and casual friendly where as DAoC was still grind-mob based and not very casual friendly. However both were quite linear and both had hardcoded PvP factions. Not that different I would say and WoW probably looked at DAoC when it was being developed.