Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

I live to go faster...or die trying.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    if you are expecting to get some return from gaming other than the enjoyment of those hours i'd either go pro gamer or stick with another hobby :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Lienhart

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

I don't understand why kids do it....but as someone that's older it's a nice hobby you can do and be around the house.

I did all my motorcycle/ski and snowboard racing as a younger person. They all hurt too much now :)

They're a waste of time but so is everything else. As long as you're having fun it's all good...but.... if you do all your old person hobbies as a kid you'll wish you did more kid hobbies when you get old. So yes....games are a waste of your youth.

• mogi67mogi67 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    It's all the same old shit anymore, really. 
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

As mutch a waiste of time as watching tv,  reading books (non education books/tv) or making post about waisted past time on forums. If you feel unsatisfied be a Hero  and act.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I suppose the same slap in the face coudl be applied for anyone who spends countless hours of  T.V, movies, facebook, etc. At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.
  • LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't understand why kids do it....but as someone that's older it's a nice hobby you can do and be around the house.

I did all my motorcycle/ski and snowboard racing as a younger person. They all hurt too much now :)

They're a waste of time but so is everything else. As long as you're having fun it's all good...but.... if you do all your old person hobbies as a kid you'll wish you did more kid hobbies when you get old. So yes....games are a waste of your youth.

Really? I can't imagine how riding or track racing could EVER become old or something I'd give up. But then again, everyone that's older has who used to ride told me they sold their bikes once the kids came in: I guess the solution is to avoid kids lol

Originally posted by vindir
    I suppose the same slap in the face coudl be applied for anyone who spends countless hours of  T.V, movies, facebook, etc. At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.

No....just no.....

Get out a little bit more and you'll understand what I mean. You have some valid points but to throw Facebook, development of social skills, time management and team work skills into there...just hell no (and I'd argue against hte monetary lessons but I can see how that would work).

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    If you can't find a way to enjoy your time by having fun, talking with others, learning new things, self improvement (within game) etc. than any hobby may be viewed as a waste of time.
  • vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

No....just no.....

Get out a little bit more and you'll understand what I mean. You have some valid points but to throw Facebook, development of social skills, time management and team work skills into there...just hell no (and I'd argue against hte monetary lessons but I can see how that would work).

Get out a little more....obviously you know me.

I snowboard twice a week (full days and backcoutnry) play in rec hockey and basketball. I coach travel soccer and mountaneer in the summer. Hunt and fish and camp. I get out lots.

And regarding the scoial learning, time managment and team work, yes kids/youth  can learn these skills in gaming. Hell there are some adults who need to learn these skills in games I've been in.

And facebook is crap.

edit: I suppose I never did answer your original question; no I do not feel liek ti has been a huge waste of time. Lots of good memories and friendships made. And I suppose thoese friendships which have been made in game and have now extended beyond the game to the real world are worth it. So in a sense there has been real life value gained from mmo gaming.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

All hobbies are potentially a huge waste of time, depending on who you ask.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Time enjoyed is not time wasted. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube

No....just no.....

No to this. Voice chat and teamwork skills have all sorts or relevance in gaming and "outside". Why else would military run testing of capabilities this way, one of few examples. Social skills and time management can play a role as well. Telling people to go outside is a pretty lame.
    Originally posted by Eluldor

No....just no.....

No to this. Voice chat and teamwork skills have all sorts or relevance in gaming and "outside". Why else would military run testing of capabilities this way, one of few examples. Social skills and time management can play a role as well. Telling people to go outside is a pretty lame.

...when's the last time you met somebody that was cool to chill with on a video game? My experiences have ALL been negative, leading to a separation between my social life and MMO habits.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Not really.

There's other things that are a much bigger waste of time I think, like going to bars getting drunk, watching television, gambling, bowling, watching horse races, watching sports. You name it.

At least when I play MMO I am increasing my typing speed and thinking of strategies and learning my English.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Time enjoyed is not time wasted. 

Yep.  If someone is insecure about the status or direction o their life they should address that with themselves rather than blaming a hobby that likely only served as a distraction from the real problem(s) in their lives.

I'm looking to play MMO's much much more than I have in years with the launch of a game I am really excited about (FFXIV:ARR).  I am content with what I have "to show for" myself, a video game can't take that from me only I can by neglecting my personal or professional life.

Video games don't ruin lives, people ruin lives.  If it isn't video gaming maybe you are spending all your time and money in another hobby that is equally as unproductive I don't know something like super sport track days.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Of course they are.  That's the point.

Now, should you spend all your free time consuming entertainment?  Absolutely not.  But it is only human to take breaks every now and then to have some fun.  After all, this is the only life we get.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I'll tell you what is a huge waste of time:

School!

/runs /jest

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

And exactly what are you getting out of your track days besides tire and brake bills?  Enjoyment.  You're not "Getting" anything except maybe a trophy, thats the only tangible difference, otherwise, its enjoyment, and possibly respect from your group of enthusiasts.

Unless you have a hobby that makes you more physically fit, increases your scholastic knowledge, or creates things, i.e. building boats or carving wood or ships in a bottle, than all you get out of any leisure activity is enjoyment.  So, moot point is moot.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

I consider something to be hobby as an activity as to which I can gain enjoyment out of, which happens to gaming, and to be specific MMO gaming.

It's about how you manage your time, if you have a full time job and spend all night MMO gaming and waking up in the morning coming to work half asleep all the time, then you'll find yourself wasting your time with MMO's as it will be effecting your real life job performance, which of course funds your MMO gaming hobby.

I just fired someone recently for sleeping on the job and constantly coming into work half alseep all the time, he was stupid enough to tell someone he had been spending all night and early morning playing Call of Duty. If you manage your life and still play MMO's then I would probably call it using your time effectively rather then wasting it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

All hobbies are a waste of time. What do you have to show from your new hobbie? A few photographs perhaps? Some memorabilia? All of that means nothing to people who don't share your enthusiasm. The same can be said about MMOs, you have stuff to show for it, but only those with the same interest will appreciate it.

At the end of the day it is about enjoyment. If you enjoyed your time, then your time wasn't wasted.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

And exactly what are you getting out of your track days besides tire and brake bills?  Enjoyment.  You're not "Getting" anything except maybe a trophy, thats the only tangible difference, otherwise, its enjoyment, and possibly respect from your group of enthusiasts.

Unless you have a hobby that makes you more physically fit, increases your scholastic knowledge, or creates things, i.e. building boats or carving wood or ships in a bottle, than all you get out of any leisure activity is enjoyment.  So, moot point is moot.

pretty much.

if you are having fun how is that time wasted?  some people would say driving a car in circles is a huge waste of time, and money......

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Great games are well worth playing. Like any art form, gaming has some brilliant gems to offer.

Not one of those gems is an MMO.

Like the OP, I found myself lamenting the amount of time I invested in MMOs when I was a kid. Now I'm a young adult, I spend the vast majority of my time doing things that I consider far more worthwhile, things that offer a tangible benefit where gaming does not.

That does not mean I will stop playing games, and it also does not mean that I think people who play games are silly. I do think that anyone who exclusively plays games as a hobby could do with a "reality check" (or two, or three, or four), but they're entitled to make that mistake if they want. It doesn't bother me, or impact me, at all.

No....just no.....

...when's the last time you met somebody that was cool to chill with on a video game? My experiences have ALL been negative, leading to a separation between my social life and MMO habits.

Actually I've never met anyone in an MMORPG and then met them in real life (assuming that cool to chill with means in RL). I've met plenty of people in RL that play games as a hobby though, and I've met plenty of people in game that are fun to play with in game. I've also met a good share of ignores :)

Lots of people I meet in MMORPGs are from other countries, so I can find something interesting and informative from them for that reason alone. Depending on what they do etc, some may be more interesting than others. Like folks who only play games with no other hobbies aren't that interesting.

I am about even or more likely to find an MMO gamer chill than some people who hang out where I do other hobbies like the gym or beach.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

No....just no.....

I met quite a lot of cool people in my hometown from playing Everquest 2 actually. Some of them are still very good friends to this day, and one even works in the same field as me, so we often see each other at work functions.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Everybody has his/her thing that others can consider a waste of time. It's a hobby like any other. Sure, we can argue that outdoors hobbies are more... healthy, but still... I do not see a difference.

It's a great way to spend free time, it's interactive, it has learning curve, social skills, solving problems... etc.

Beats watching TV and movies... that's for sure.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E