Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

12345679»

Comments

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Not really.

There's other things that are a much bigger waste of time I think, like going to bars getting drunk, watching television, gambling, bowling, watching horse races, watching sports. You name it.

At least when I play MMO I am increasing my typing speed and thinking of strategies and learning my English.

Depends on. 

Bowling with people from your work, including your boss, for a better team building? Raises your chances to climb up a ladder

Watching sports and talk about it to your boss? Raises your chances to climb up a ladder. So far, I've never met a person who plays MMOs and could be of interest to get a better job. 

Going to bars and getting drunk? I've made the experience that this way you can establish contacts (of course you habe to go to the right places, preferably where potential business partners are). 

Trust me, your english would have become even better if you had done it in a course, on a regular basis.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    for me SP games are waste of time,I only enjoying in MMO's,just like players interactions
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    I'm still laughing at the insecure folks in this thread trying to justify their hobby as "better" or more "meaning" than playing an mmo.

The one trying to list exercise as a benefit of racing (and no , not talking about running) is killing me.

I could easily say anyone choosing to ride motorcycles for fun is not only a waste of time but stupid due to the risk of injury. But it's your hobby , so be it.

You pay your bills , take care of yourself and family , do whatever you enjoy when you have the time , if you enjoyed your time you got your benefit you needed. Enjoyment.

The insecurity in this thread is off the charts.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Games are a waste of time, books are a waste of time, movies are a waste of time. We should just make babies and work, work, work.
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

I dont understand the concept of "wasted time". How does that work? How can you waste time?

And: are you trolling Car-Forums with threads how you think cars are a waste of time too?

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I agree with the OP - computer games are a waste of life.

However, working hard to make your mark isn't exactly a barrel of laughs.

The ultimate solution would be to find a cure for ageing so that we have a near-infinate amount of time to have fun and do things that are worthwhile.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

That's what they're supposed to do, consume leisure hours.

So, yeah, they are.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Mmo used to be amazing 15 years ago when they managed to have that much rpg gamers play together in a visual environment, they really were amazing, like a dream coming through. NOw? definitely the worst of the rpg kind, they are just borderline stupid and irritating, they are few computer rpg that are still interesting like Poe, but they are quiet rare and certainly not to be found behind the mmo tag. GW2 is probably the least horrible of them, but still become boring fast due to the same lost of real rpg mechanisms like Uo had back then for example.
  • WelshyJTWelshyJT Member UncommonPosts: 28
    If you only just figured that out well.... i dont know what to tell you
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

Yes they waste my time, something I have in abundance, and need to waste.

I have other hobbies, but as you mentioned they can get expensive. My "main-alt-hobby"? Tabletop wargaming, which puts my $20 a month time wasting budget in a sad sad sad place, so I stick with MMOs.

I am heading back to school this fall which should waste tons of my time, and have positive "real-world-results".

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Yeah, it is a waste of time.  There's no doubt about that.  But it's something I enjoy.

But suppose I did something else with my free time, like my uncle the toy train guy who converted his entire garage into a miniature world.  When he died, they just boxed up all the trains and tore apart the little mountain valley and town he'd made.

Then there is a old art teacher.  She was a still life painter.  Her work was amazing but she didn't sell any of it.  She had the paintings all over the house and in one room from floor to ceiling.  When she died of breast cancer, her husband collected all her paintings and through them into the trash.  I guess looking at them reminded him too much of her....trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I had an uncle that liked to work on cars for a hobby.  He was killed walking across the street.

My point is, all these people had other hobbies besides gaming, and as far I can tell the world could care less.  It's the enjoyment they got out of it that mattered at the time.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.Anyone else ever feel the same way?

What is the real world return on Supersport racing? Hobbies exist to entertain. They aren't supposed to have a real world return, other than the enjoyment of what you are doing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I love people who think they've found something meaningful between birth and death.

Look, do what you enjoy, because when you're on your deathbed, you'll realize that nothing you ever did had any value, because you still are going to die.

Even if you've "changed the world" through medicine or engineering or whatever, it still doesn't matter. Because all people will eventually die. Our lives are about as valuable as a cows - we just have brains that tell us how important we are.

And funnily enough, I'm not giving up gaming, yet tomorrow I wake up bright and early at 4am to go on a track day. Yet when I get home in the evening, I will have not gained anything of real value. But I will have enjoyed myself thoroughly.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I actually was feeling that a little, when I was playing Evony for hours on end.  I decided I had to put all the time to good use, by developing my own MMO.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Damn the spammer that dragged this sad plee for validation back up from the depths of hell last night.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

All entertaiment activities are time waster.   You may try to change your approach to make money on them, but then it's a job and not entertaiment.

MMORPGs feel like ultimate time waster nowadays not worth putting your time into because they became shallow skinner boxes cross-breed with malls.   They're on same level as gambling dens, telemarketting or DSMAX / Cydcor / other outdoor slavery scams.    That's why they feel like such time waste now.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Well, here's my take on this.

Perhaps you have been a consumer of entertainment so long, or in such large quantities that you know yearn for something to give your life more meaning.

I put it to you that you have a creative streak that needs to be expressed.

I found myself in a similar mind a few years back & decided to start writing, doesn't matter if I ever finish what I'm doing let alone ever get it published, that's not important to me as I'm in no need of affirmation, I do it to have a creative outlet & I found that really helped with this kind of issue.

Essentially all games, entertainment, is a waste of time if you are passively consuming them, they are there to provide a way to pass time enjoyably, I'm sure if all the hours you spent playing MMO's had instead been spent watching grass grow or paint dry you'd be feeling you'd wasted your life to a much worse degree.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by vindir
    I suppose the same slap in the face coudl be applied for anyone who spends countless hours of  T.V, movies, facebook, etc. At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.

No....just no.....

Get out a little bit more and you'll understand what I mean. You have some valid points but to throw Facebook, development of social skills, time management and team work skills into there...just hell no (and I'd argue against hte monetary lessons but I can see how that would work).

It depends on the person's view and not yours or mine. Let me ask you a question....Suppose there is a guy playing an mmo who happens to be in a wheel chair , would that be considered time wasted if he played mmo's and got social interaction that he might not normally enjoy out there. There are many , many reason why people play mmo's, yes some of you are young people, some are grandmother and grandfathers that enjoy playing...what seems a waste to you is not in anothers point of view. 

I used gaming to get away from alcohol abuse, so no mmo's have not been a waste to me. So you see, it depends on the person and you must never judge them yourself.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Damn the spammer that dragged this sad plee for validation back up from the depths of hell last night.

hahahahhaaha