Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Lienhart

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

Have you enjoyed when you played? If yes then I do not understand your question.

Only problem, as with any hobby or "hobby" (like drugs, alcohol, ...) is if it is harmful for health or is at least acceptable.

I had my times when i was truly addicted to gaming ... but I do not regret anything and with difference to real drugs ... it is rarely in any way similar.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    if you are expecting to get some return from gaming other than the enjoyment of those hours i'd either go pro gamer or stick with another hobby :)

Or profit off of regional restrictions like any entrepreneur would. People will often pay more than quadruple the price for something if they can't get access to it themselves. Such as playing on the Master Race(most up to date) version of a localized game that often times will fall behind in updates.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by vindir
    I suppose the same slap in the face coudl be applied for anyone who spends countless hours of  T.V, movies, facebook, etc. At least with gaming (or mmo's in this case) I can gain problem sovling, learn and apply basic monetary lessons, hand-to-eye coordination, develop social skills, time managment, team work skills and probebly some other somewhat (if not useful) cerebral skills that can be applied to real world scenarios.

No....just no.....

Get out a little bit more and you'll understand what I mean. You have some valid points but to throw Facebook, development of social skills, time management and team work skills into there...just hell no (and I'd argue against hte monetary lessons but I can see how that would work).

What?  Working with a team to solve some goal, is not team building?  It might be on the lighter side of it, but it STILL is team building.  Time management is TRUE too.  If you can decide to play for X amount of time and succeed, you ARE learning to manage your time.

Facebook is a complete time-sink and waste of time.  Reading countless trivial "status updates" makes me say, who the **** cares that you just got home, went to the mall today, etc.  If you're posting pics of the hurricane you just got caught in, then that's interesting, and non-trivial.

What kills me, as I digress like I always do, is when teens, and 20-somethings go somewhere together, and then ALL ignore each other, burying their faces into their phones texting the same mindless, trivial crap, to people that aren't there.

Hell, I've seen this at amusement parks.  TALK TO THE PEOPLE YOU ARE WITH!!!  ENJOY THEIR COMPANY.  Not to mention how rude it is to hang out with someone and then pretend like they aren't even there.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

MMOs are a fairly cheap form of escapist entertainment. The good ones provide an interesting form of mental stimulation and hopefully relieve stress that builds up IRL. Its like reading fiction and playing chess at the same time.

When compared to the amount of TV the average person watches it is not that crazy.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

Time sink, yes.

Waste of time, no.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Define waste.

If i have fun, no matter what the entertainment is, is that a "waste" of time?

Certainly it is non-productive, though.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

If you enjoy something, it's not a waste of time. Life it self is basically a waste of time if you dont enjoy the present. We all die, and after we do, we will be forgotten in few years, and it does not matter what you "accomplished" in life since you're still dead. Even if you did something big, you're just a name in the history books and no one really cares nor does it matter. So yeah, whatever you do in the present, if you enjoy it then it's not a waste of time.

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Any hobby taken to excess can be a waste of time. You should balance work, hobbies, family, etc.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Nope.  Been playing for 22 years now and I still get enjoyment out of them.  It's like any hobby, you don't really get anything out of them, other than the fun of doing said hobby.  It's a cheap hobby as well.  My cheapest. I'm also a car guy, and I've spent alot of money on cars, but you almost never see any of that money again.  I've "wasted" more time and a ton more money on cars hehe.

Edit: Also like trains, models (those models too lol), and anything radio controlled.  Spent alot more than 22 years of gaming on all them too.  MMOs are an inexpensive hobby.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I agree 100%.

I get most of my enjoyment from Wrath of Heros...only game I have been sticking with.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    OP anything being a waste of time or not is all mere pespective. Just throw some more hobbies in the mix. I used to play SWG hours a day. Now I play MMOs maybe an hour or so a day... weekends a little more. I started writing deathmetal on my guitar again, and I got an old Harley that requires a lot of attention. I also started reading the bible more! Just mix it up with multiple hobbies and then you won't feel so bad about it!
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I generally use my MMO time to hang out with old friends who don't live near me any more, or who are deployed. Can't really call that a waste of time.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yes. Everything is pointless. Now... where did I put those razor blades?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Maybe life is generally a waste of time, you could as well waste time playing MMOs?

If you say "get a family".. well woohoo, so the next generation can waste time on this planet?

If you think about it, everything is a waste of time. Working, relationships, tax declarations, TV, MMOs... who the f*** cares.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by HappyFunBall

Facebook is a complete time-sink and waste of time.  Reading countless trivial "status updates" makes me say, who the **** cares that you just got home, went to the mall today, etc.  If you're posting pics of the hurricane you just got caught in, then that's interesting, and non-trivial.

Facebook is generally a waste of time, as are cell phones etc. (IMO), but at the same time there are benefits to communication that might lead to something impactful.  The problem is that we didn't really evolve to our current state to toss away 50% of our person to person connections in the span of a few hundred years (telegraphs, phones, etc.).  I think it makes the world a more tense and disagreeable place because our very nature rejects it at some level, even if we think it's "cool" on the surface... or rather, because advertising agencies tell us it's cool.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    It is not a waste of time if you are enjoying yourself.
  • galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

I lost one of the comment i wanted to quote from OP but in a few words.

You are shallow and simple. Having to rely on other peoples' compliments to feel some sense of gradification is what you call a good use of time?

Also , to the guy with the medical degree whose post i also lost xD

You are talking about MMO addiction not MMO entertainment.What stops you from having a decent mmo fun and spending time with your family ?

Spending all or a lot of time with the same person over and over again(family or not) creates unwanted feelings of boredom and some times spite. 

So I'm guessing you are some sort of ex-addict of WoW and your mind is tangled within the game and the addiction.

The addicted gamers are just a fraction of gamers.Note that unsocial people with interest in games,graphic novels(both western and eastern), collections... aka. geeks, fall into a different category, since they make up of a big enough amount of people to be called a community therefore have your "precious" peer gratification.

Why do I even bother posting? xD

This is the last post for me :P

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    For some people, it's entertainment. For others, a waste of time. For many, a waste of a life. It all depends on how trapped you get. After looking at the "how much do you play" poll and seeing the largest group in the 4-8 hours per day category, I'd say life-wasting for most people.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek
    For some people, it's entertainment. For others, a waste of time. For many, a waste of a life. It all depends on how trapped you get. After looking at the "how much do you play" poll and seeing the largest group in the 4-8 hours per day category, I'd say life-wasting for most people.

What exactly is a waste of life?  Do you think you're going to be graded at the end or what?

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Generally, I would say yes, it's a waste of time.

You can spend that time doing sport, meeting new people, learn new things, study, find new hobbies and interests, make more money for traveling etc. The list is long. 

But I guess we all need our little useless time sinks...

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

Pretty much, a young life can become an old one and running out of time with Online games. but people still play them, if it's a hobby that only takes a few hours a week it's fine. if you play more then 3 well 3 becomes 4, then 5 or more. then gaming starts to become your life. The more your family and friends can't reach you the kless you want to return to the real world.

I have all but gave up on gaming and now just play an hour a week if i can get myself to do it. more fun in the real world these days, less need to escape it with gaming.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    OP is correct...

Only in ghe sense that if the game world is not real, then there is no value, no reward after many years of gMeplay.

WoW is no longer rewarding because 12 year olds have ruined the game by wanting to be spponfed. Thus trivializing all the past accomplishments before them.

EQ offers no reward after playing 10 plus years, because a new player doesnt have to go threw 10 years of tramaltuous tasks. In 6 months they have circumvented 10 years of play.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    MMOs because a huge waste of time if you're only sticking to one genre and complaining that the industry doesn't change. I play a lot of MUDs because I don't mind sacrificing graphics for a compelling roleplay experience.
  • DrinkingbearDrinkingbear Member Posts: 60
    I think beer;then it's nice to get a blue drop on your own out in the wild;where all you can do is make a camp fire,fish and hope to see a new day.Wait...Are they bringing WOW Vanilla servers online anytime? Level 40 for mount;forget about it)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by NC-John

I have all but gave up on gaming and now just play an hour a week if i can get myself to do it. more fun in the real world these days, less need to escape it with gaming.

whoa whoa whoa...

Just because the word "escape" gets bandied about a lot  we shouldn't assume that everyone who plays video games is escaping.

Anything you do to avoid "something" can be escapinig.

If my life sucks and I retreat to the gym and become a gym rat that is using the gym as an escape.

If I go to the gym because I want the benefits of excercise then that's an investment in my life.

If I read books so that I don't have to go out and speak to other people then that's an escape. If I read them because I love the stories or information in them then that's an investment in my life.

If I go out and socialize every single night because I hate what lies for me at home then that's an escape. If I go out and socialize because I have many friends and I enjoy that interaction then that's an investment in my life.

Same with games.

any activity can be either good or bad depending on the motivation for that activity.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo