Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So when do we get a MMO that use the latest graphics

13»

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by rawfox

You are right, the era of polygonal engines comes to an end soon.

The new atomic engines are already in development, here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

It's a voxel engine, the issue with these engines is that they can't properly do animation or movement of any kind and they work only for scenery that is very repetitive since they can cull a lot but the massive detail means you need repeat objecs.

Plus you get tons of data that doesn't really add to the realism, after a certain point lighting becomes much more important that model detail, that video has billions of voxels but doesn't look very realistic, there's something off about it, polygons are much easier to light and animate, you don't need tiny tiny dots or detail to get realism, ask a painter, lighting is much more important than detail.

At the middle of the video he says "please excuse us for the repetitious graphics, we're a technology company, not a games company". The real reason is that no PC could deal with so much useless data and that's why they're repeating all the scenery.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

ArcheAge do seems to use the latest graphic features which is nice, sadly it is a quest hub based MMO to progress to max level.

I do find the piracy idea fun and fresh, I will keep my eyes more peeled on this game in the future.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Torgrim

ArcheAge do seems to use the latest graphic features which is nice, sadly it is a quest hub based MMO to progress to max level.

I do find the piracy idea fun and fresh, I will keep my eyes more peeled on this game in the future.

That's a shame, I thought it was supposed to be a huge sandbox or something.

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112
    an mmo with top shelf graphics and good game play?! the space-time continum would be shredded!  >.<

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Star Citizen will be on Cryengine 4, DX11, 64-bit client

TSW is DX11, offers Tesselation, latest shaders and is the first PC game with TXAA antialiasing on GTX 6xx cards

AoC is DX10 with lots of current graphics features, lighting, godrays, underwater caustics, realisitc water and other nifty FX. Got a 680 recently and both games look amazing with everything on max.

check these out

AoC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3AqaCQUVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00dHRBaX-f0&list=UUYVYgFTVlUnCFM9zR-OFdTg&index=13

TSW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg5i5g1rfZE

Star Citizen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqPkt6gc8E

Also TESO looks to be "current gen", the FX are at least DX10, probably DX11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1R5R_9Huac

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

The current standard for "Latest Graphics?"

In 4 years.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

That's a shame, I thought it was supposed to be a huge sandbox or something.

Questing in this game is just a means to an end and a way to gather gold. Throughout your ride to 50 there will be many many things to do outside questing and the sandbox features can be started at any time. So you could be only level 20 with a boat, house, glider, horse, start growing crops and forests. The thing is that the sandbox features do require gold to maintain so to me, questing is just there to supplement my sandbox needs not to mention early on your will get your horse, glider, and rowboat from questing not to mention standard quests will teach you the sandbox stuff.

Players need to understand that your goals in this game are far different than most wow clones and getting to 50 will not likely be the #1 thing on your list. From the first moment you step into the Archeage world, it is quite apparent that what your daily tasks will be are vastly different than any recent MMO.

Also a side note, the graphics are amazing and while I could run all current MMO's on max wth my current rig, I could not with Archeage (3/4 max). So you will need a top notch machine to run everything at max. Also note that this game is more than just graphics but rather having to draw all player created content which is EVERYWHERE. So not only are the graphics excellent, but they also support  dratically changing environment and all the objects that are added by players.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

One odd little occurence that I remember from the Age of Conan release was that they said that it would be DX 10 when it came out (turned out that was one of many lies, DX 10 took another year or more).  This put a whole lot of people who wanted to play that game in a position of, don't play it or buy a new video card.  I was one of the hundreds of thousands that bought a new video card JUST to play that one game.

EVE Online did the exact same thing a few years back.  The completely rewrote their graphics engine back in 2006 to take advantage of DX 10.  At first they had two separate clients and allowed some people to play with the "classic" graphics and some to play with the new graphics.  Eventually, however, they gave a deadline and told people that if they didn't have their GPU's upgraded by the deadline, then they wouldn't be able to play at all because they didn't have the time and money to concurrently update two graphics engines at the same time.  This, in turn, forced most of us to run out and buy a new card.

So while devs tend to write games for the lowest common denominator, there is a precedent for forcing a leap in technology by requiring it for something that people wish to participate in.

Imagine if WoW suddenly came out with a press release tomorrow and said that they are completely revamping their graphics engine around the latest generation of graphics advancements.  If your card isn't written to take advantage of DX 10, then you won't be able to play past X date.  Well, you'd have a million people quit and eight million would run out and buy whatever card/laptop they need to run the game.

The time EVE Online uses DX10 will be the end of the Mac client. Wine does not do DX10/11 at all. EVE never used DX10 or newer.

What they did was cut pre DX9 graphics. There was a year or so of dual client, so ample transition time. The game still runs great on lowend systems.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Easy

Small Market/Less People to buy the game

not everyone owns a higher end machine to run mmos with High end/latest graphics.

Hell honestly its why WoW was so populaer lol , I played it on a PC from 95'

It would be nice to see though, AOC was pretty top notch when it came out,come to think of it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Face it It's allready 2013 and still there are MMO that is made for sales PCs.

But you're not worried about PC sales, you're worried about GPU sales?

Vanguard ring any bells?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by rawfox

Face it It's allready 2013 and still there are MMO that is made for sales PCs.

Yes I know game studios want to earn as much money as possible, but the reality is we have the tech to make epic graphic games with all the bells and wissles.

And no I'm not rich and have not the best PC but the thing is, someone have to start making it happend or we will see graphic stagnate galore.

Didn't we all dreamed back 10-15 years how MMO should look like?

Some MMOs have good graphics such as AoC,GW2,TERA but thats it as far as I know, It's time for a game with latest graphic tech and with plenty of content away from WoW model with !.

Yes I might be rambling about this but I have been working for 28 hours straight so I made this post with a few beers.

in vinum vertias :p

You are right, the era of polygonal engines comes to an end soon.

The new atomic engines are already in development, here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

You can imagine, were we are in 20 years, im looking forward :)

Nonsense.  That's vaporware that they can't really do anything more than a demo with.