Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand this...

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
This game will be like DAoC in that three factions will be fighting it out for control of Cyrodil?  Each factions lands is off limits to the other two factions?  That means only a 3rd of the world is accessible to the faction you play for?  

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

yes

yes

yes

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by muffins89

yes

yes

yes

Why?

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

yes

yes

yes

This person knows nothing, and that includes this game.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Teala

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

yes

yes

yes

Why?

• The Elder Scrolls Online features a three alliance system, with geographically separated alliances comprised of three races each. Races are restricted by alliance in order to generate and enhance their distinct identity. Each race is physically distinguishable from each other so in world PvP players can easily differentiate friends from foes.(GI1),(GI10)
    • Players may not travel into the “home” areas beloning to enemy alliances. Therefore all PvP in ESO takes place within Cyrodiil. This limited exploration is intented to preserve faction identity, protect players from unsolicited PvP, and enhance replayability.(TF1)
    • Each alliance’s home area is unique, and the distinct identity of a alliances native provinces helps to foster realm pride amongst players and enhance the meta-conflict which fuels the social side of a three alliance realm war. For prolonged success of the AvA meta-game within the fan community, it is very important that players can identify themselves with their alliance and alliance.(GI3),(PCG1)
    • The Imperials constitute a 4th non-playable alliance who have made a pact with Molag Bal and Mannimarco. They serve as a NPC enemy alliance centralized in Cyrodiil, however, their influence spreads throughout Tamriel.(GI10)
    •  
    Originally posted by jtcgs

yes

yes

yes

Why?

because the games lead designers are stuck in the past and cannot come up with any new ideas. They have on rose colored glasses and actually believe the game they are basing it off of was great...so great it seems they think it will apply successfully to anything even though history proves them wrong.

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land because the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

yes

yes

yes

Why?

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

yes

yes

yes

Why?

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

No.  I just won't play their game.

yes

yes

yes

Why?

Or we could look at it for what it is, a game being made by designers choosing to use old outdated piss poor game design.

Why should we settle for crap when we know full well an MMORPG can be made open world and allow us to chose the faction WE WANT TO CHOSE, WITH THE RACE WE WANT TO PLAY and be able to go where we want, when we want? Especially when they are using an IP that IS MADE JUST LIKE THAT!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

not every game is for everyone. 

Why?

Or we could look at it for what it is, a game being made by designers choosing to use old outdated piss poor game design.

Why should we settle for crap when we know full well an MMORPG can be made open world and allow us to chose the faction WE WANT TO CHOSE, WITH THE RACE WE WANT TO PLAY and be able to go where we want, when we want? Especially when they are using an IP that IS MADE JUST LIKE THAT!

look at it however you want.  all i did was answer the questions the op had. 

You're right, but of all the games to put this in, this is not the one.   Also, even in WOW, we could travel the world...the whole world.   Even on PvP servers, you couldn't attack players of the other faction outright in their own lands and hurt them.   They had to attack you first before you could do damage back.   Are you telling me that a game from 2003 has better game mechanics than a game being designed for 2013?

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

what is especiall stupid about that system is that you will only see 1/3 of the content, meaning the devs have to develop 3 times as much content and that within a themepark game, a genere that is known for its constant lack of content...

And soon not every TES game will be a TES game, or for TES fans. 3 cheers for defending the bastardization of an IP and giving money to people who cannot come up with something original or the balls to create something that stands on its own that doesnt require to ride to coat-tails of something else's popularity in order to sell.

Simple, a DaoC 2 wouldnt sell, so they are tagging another name onto it.

Are you telling me that a game from 2003 has better game mechanics than a game being designed for 2013?

imo,  yes.  mmo's have been going downhill for a decade.  what the last AAA mmo that wasn't zoned to shit and or heavily instanced?

Are you telling me that a game from 2003 has better game mechanics than a game being designed for 2013?

imo,  yes.  mmo's have been going downhill for a decade.  what the last AAA mmo that wasn't zoned to shit and or heavily instanced?

Umm, DaoC WAS heavily zoned...and this game WILL have instances, they are calling them campaigns. You just proved his point...everything about DaoC is what is wrong with games today because WoW was based off DaoC design only without the closed off RvR PvP...and DaoC was EQ with a few added ideas.

Umm, DaoC WAS heavily zoned...and this game WILL have instances, they are calling them campaigns. You just proved his point...everything about DaoC is what is wrong with games today because WoW was based off DaoC design only without the closed off RvR PvP...and DaoC was EQ with a few added ideas.

...i was agreeing with him.  image

• ZunaahZunaah Member UncommonPosts: 40

If I'm not mistaken, they did mention that the multiple world instances would have different properties to entertain different play styles. When you flag yourself for wanting to be more PvE, Solo, Group, Dungeon crawling, etc, you're placed with like minded people. They have mentioned one of those possible instances could be an explorers world where you could cross lines, but they would have to silence or remove certain NPCs and various other things.

So, it looks like they are trying to accomidate various play styles. image

Personally I can't wait. I'm an altaholic and enjoyed DAoC anyway, so there's no doubt in my mind I'll have people in all factions

When logic fails.. instinct prevails

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

You're right, but of all the games to put this in, this is not the one.   Also, even in WOW, we could travel the world...the whole world.   Even on PvP servers, you couldn't attack players of the other faction outright in their own lands and hurt them.   They had to attack you first before you could do damage back.   Are you telling me that a game from 2003 has better game mechanics than a game being designed for 2013?

Sadly yes, the developers seemed to be more worried about making TES work for daoc than daoc work for TES.  Basicly they just kept hammering their square peg into the round hole until it had fit.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    It would have been more ideal to allow you to explore the whole world but the moment you step into enemy territory you're instantly flagged for PvP.
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

This times 1000000000

Just like movies, music etc...no game will fit everyone. The amount of whining is unreal when it comes to mmorpgs...its like people expect games to be tailored to their needs and their needs alone. There are games i dont play and wont play for design reasons, but i really dont see the need to hop onto their forums to express my distaste for it. I just dont buy/play it. That simple.

For example...wow is a good pve game, and tons of people play it....but its not for me. I tried it, didnt like it, moved on. 

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

i loved faction lock in daoc.

once I got bored I would just re roll on a new realm, and it felt like a competely new game

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Originally posted by miagisan 

Just like movies, music etc...no game will fit everyone. The amount of whining is unreal when it comes to mmorpgs...its like people expect games to be tailored to their needs and their needs alone. There are games i dont play and wont play for design reasons, but i really dont see the need to hop onto their forums to express my distaste for it. I just dont buy/play it. That simple.

For example...wow is a good pve game, and tons of people play it....but its not for me. I tried it, didnt like it, moved on. 

Wait, so people dont whine about Music they dont like?!? Star Wars fans didnt cry like little girls on the rag about the new movies being bad?

Anyway...sorry but your point does not apply.

I will however apply a PROPER analogy for you.

A new group is going to take beatles lyrics, set it to death metal, have a K-pop singer sing it but it will only play if you have a plug-n-play flute and play along with it.

So tell me, should beatles fans be happy and content enough to remain silent as they are told by the record company that they are making it for them? Well...yeah, cause that is what is being done with the TES IP.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I am interested in the game, but I have to admit I am concerned about how they have divide the world.

I am guessing we won't be able to group with people outside our faction (if for no other reason than they won't be able to be in our area)

No guilds with a mix of factions.

Since you have 3 factions that can't mix you have to make 3 times the content.

Its just seems like a really bad idea. Server factions or pick your own faction would seem a better. I can't even change my faction to play with my friends. I'd have to start a new character.

This sort of feels like Tor when it was being developed, where people were like wait wait this doesn't sound like a good idea.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

yes

yes

yes

Why?

• The Elder Scrolls Online features a three alliance system, with geographically separated alliances comprised of three races each. Races are restricted by alliance in order to generate and enhance their distinct identity. Each race is physically distinguishable from each other so in world PvP players can easily differentiate friends from foes.(GI1),(GI10)
    • Players may not travel into the “home” areas beloning to enemy alliances. Therefore all PvP in ESO takes place within Cyrodiil. This limited exploration is intented to preserve faction identity, protect players from unsolicited PvP, and enhance replayability.(TF1)
    • Each alliance’s home area is unique, and the distinct identity of a alliances native provinces helps to foster realm pride amongst players and enhance the meta-conflict which fuels the social side of a three alliance realm war. For prolonged success of the AvA meta-game within the fan community, it is very important that players can identify themselves with their alliance and alliance.(GI3),(PCG1)
    • The Imperials constitute a 4th non-playable alliance who have made a pact with Molag Bal and Mannimarco. They serve as a NPC enemy alliance centralized in Cyrodiil, however, their influence spreads throughout Tamriel.(GI10)
    •  

This all seems pretty sensible to me.  I agree that the outright locking of home zones to other factions is a bit too strict, though.