Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: A New Warrior Approaches

Comments

• br00klynbr00klyn Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I'd very much like to see a Kodan and Tengu race, they are both awesome!
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    I choose none of the above. Because the game needs more RP-support, housing, and mounts way before it needs another hollow playable race. 

Doesn't need housing - waste of resouces - MOUNTS ARE NOT PART OF THE LORE - jeez - read the lore and that is why we have TP - don't need mounts as another waste of resources.

They are a small company and as such - doing the best they can. Yes, they messed but a bit, who hasn't (Trion did some beauts just after the release of Rift). They are also still supporting GW1.

I think it should be Tengu. If you did the add in to GW1, if you had the Bonus Mission Pack, you could play as Master Togo and help the Tengu in Cantha. I think Cantha would also be a nice add on then.

Trust me they aren't so small and yes they need much much more RPer support if they want to survive considering they've already scared away many of their customers with their nov 15th release of the WoW gameplay style focus and their stubborn adherence to all things DR.

Clothing is a big missing thing here as well. There's like hardly anything to show for costumes even town clothes are non-existant for the most part. You get like 1 free townclothes and the rest of the tiny amount of costumes that are in the BLTC store are hardly enough to fill a single wide mobile home style closet.

Not to mention the complete waste of space their home channel turned out to be or the lack of mobile or web communication/game lottery systems we were promised that were dumped in the trash after launch. I'm surprised they actually did come out with a mac version honestly with that kind of poor management.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

There's plenty of oportunities for new races in GW2.

The quaggan and hylek I don't see as possible playable races, mainly because of how different they are and the amount of work that would take to make character customization to be relevant and armor models for them. Not to say it can't be done, but I think that Anet will probably tackle easier races first. Skritt might work, they could make some lore about some skritt being magically altered to retain their intelligence even when they're alone.

Tengu is of course a logical choice, they were very relevant in GW1, they have a whole section of LA for themselves, so getting them a new area would be just a matter of opening that area and reveal an asura gate to their city in there, or just make that area their home city. Plus they have lots of choice for customization and they're already quite humanoid, so armor wouldn't be so much work.

Koden are great ones too, they have a nice lore and good oportunities for home cities with their floating iceberg cities as it is. Of course, I'd like them to have more unique animations if they're to become player characters, since as it is they're mostly reskinned norn as they are now, but still look really cool. If I do get to play one, I want the choice to have black markings around the eyes!! (just kidding!!! just kidding)

The largos (the winged ones you meet in the story) would be interesting for an expansion set mostly underwater. Designing them would be interesting, though, considering that we've never seen one without its mask.

The stone dwarves would be an interesting addition too. For those that don't know GW1 lore, in the Eye of the North expansion the dwarves made the rite of the great dwarf, basically turning themselves into living rock so they were strong enough to fight Primordius's destroyers. Since then they're supposed to have been living underground, probably fighting primordius minions on their own turf. Would be interesting to play as one of them in a primordious related expansion.

Centaurs would be an interesting addition, as well, but they'd also need a huge undertaking since almost all lower armor would have to be redesigned for them. There are no friendly centaurs in GW2 that I know of right now, but we did have a centaur hero in GW1 in Nightfall.

Other races that would be interesting: Ogres, Grawl and Dredge

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Kodan.

Any other answer is wrong.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I choose none of the above. Because the game needs more RP-support, housing, and mounts way before it needs another hollow playable race. 

Doesn't need housing - waste of resouces - MOUNTS ARE NOT PART OF THE LORE - jeez - read the lore and that is why we have TP - don't need mounts as another waste of resources.

They are a small company and as such - doing the best they can. Yes, they messed but a bit, who hasn't (Trion did some beauts just after the release of Rift). They are also still supporting GW1.

I think it should be Tengu. If you did the add in to GW1, if you had the Bonus Mission Pack, you could play as Master Togo and help the Tengu in Cantha. I think Cantha would also be a nice add on then.

Housing is never a waste of resources.  I'm guessing you never had a HoM in GWEN.  Guess what, if you did:  Yep, that was a form of player housing.  You think its a waste of resources still?

Anyway, coming from games where they had player housing done right, it was a thriving industry in-game that promoted a healthy marketplace where people could buy and sell furnishings to spruce up the joint.  Robust economies are based not on functional items and gear, but on the little luxuries we don't need.  This is the way of the world.  Take video games.  If you think about it, video games are a luxury, and you don't need them.  Applying the logic used to deny player housing, no video game would EVER be made.  It's simply a waste of resources.  There are better things to put in the world than another video game.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Quaggan's and skritt <3 <3  They don't have to be playable I just want to see more of them in general.

I got my gf this sticker for valentines day:

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Fav race? Asura

Race I want to play? Those humaniod bears in Lions Arch.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Stop arguing about mounts... and stop saying they're "important" to make an MMO "right".  That sort of 1-dimensional thinking is why we had 8 years of WoW clones.  There is no right or wrong if a game plays well and people have fun.

On-topic: I don't know if I agree with the Kodan.  Their mythos doesn't appear all that different from the Norn, and you know damned good and well their starting area would be another "boring snow zone" as I've heard someone put it (personally I like them, but whatever).

As for the Tengu being puny, meh... they sure f'd up my shit in GW1 despite their size. lol

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    The Tengu cause in the Artbook that came with the CE says that the Tengu were originally made to be a playable race but Anet decided against to focus on the main 5 races of Tyria.
  • Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I 'd love playing with a Kodan.

Go to hell!

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Wrong!!!!!!!!

Mounts and housing are an important feature for any game to get right and to exclude them is to take away from your playerbase.  We already have enough silly races in GW2 there needs to be other forms of content before we talk of new races.

and mounts are the content? :D

gw dont need mounts there is TP system invented by asura :)

if you focus on lore a bit you would understand

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Dracondis

Housing is never a waste of resources.  I'm guessing you never had a HoM in GWEN.  Guess what, if you did:  Yep, that was a form of player housing.  You think its a waste of resources still?

Anyway, coming from games where they had player housing done right, it was a thriving industry in-game that promoted a healthy marketplace where people could buy and sell furnishings to spruce up the joint.  Robust economies are based not on functional items and gear, but on the little luxuries we don't need.  This is the way of the world.  Take video games.  If you think about it, video games are a luxury, and you don't need them.  Applying the logic used to deny player housing, no video game would EVER be made.  It's simply a waste of resources.  There are better things to put in the world than another video game.

Yes I did and thought it was a waste. Grind titles for what? It is not fun - that is the problem with player housing - you need to grind grind grind for it - sorry.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Kodan.

From the moment I saw that load screen art I thought they would be an awesome race to play.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

We are close to the Ring of Fire Islands in Orr - what about playing a Mursaat? hmmmmm - interesting......

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Skritt! Please!
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Birdmannnnnnnn
    Originally posted by lathaan
    Skritt! Please!

I can hear it now - all the players saying, "Me want shinies!!!' ACK!!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Tengu sounds good. Also, when are we going to hear about the Mursaat? D: We need them back for more  >.< c'mon ANET..... gimmie mursaat lore. We know 1 of the last Mursaat survived and fled somewhere. He gotta come back one day.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by lathaan
    Skritt! Please!

I can hear it now - all the players saying, "Me want shinies!!!' ACK!!!

lol Yeah, though I wouldn't want them as a playable race for different reasons.  I dunno, I love the Skritt but some races should remain NPC races, I don't need to know the inner workings of the Skritt to know they're part of Tyria.  Same with the Hylek or the Kodan.  I think the character creation for the Tengu would be incredibly awesome though.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm not for or against housing as it's not something I really care for but if someone else is happy with it, sure why not. Mounts however, they would bring me back into the game again, the endless running or spending big bucks on immersion breaking instant blink from anywhere to anywhere in the world is just... Meh.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by muffins89
    I also feel new classes are needed more then new races.

^

new races are fine and all.  but new classes would interest me more.

I'd like to agree to this statement as well since I have tried all the classes and have played the ones I like (not all are maxxed but enough played to know my likes and dislikes) and would fee let down if they added a new race without classes because what would I do with it since I have already played the classes I care to. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Waste of resources? Funny you say that because Colin Johanson repeatedly indicated a desire to implement housing and still might see it come to fruition. Just because you personally don't like housing does not make it a waste of resources... in fact housing systems in any game have consistently proven to be a major player retention tool.

The GW2 team is unrelated to the GW1 team, what does that have to do with it? They are, admittedly, quite understaffed though; that's highlighted quite well by the now infamous 'only two people working on class balance' comment from Jon Peters.

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    Yet again.. They need to fix whats broken before adding more.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by muffins89
    I also feel new classes are needed more then new races.

^

new races are fine and all.  but new classes would interest me more.

I'd like to agree to this statement as well since I have tried all the classes and have played the ones I like (not all are maxxed but enough played to know my likes and dislikes) and would fee let down if they added a new race without classes because what would I do with it since I have already played the classes I care to. 

although i asked for Tengu race and Mursaat lore i also agree with this. I would like more classes (the ones missing from gw1) and a revamp of the skill system to add dual class like gw1 but better and with more skills.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

Tengu, hands down.

Still, would rather the game actually be improved first than expanded; I still haven't gone back to it after quitting a few weeks after release.