Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Guardian Fighter Trailer Released

2»

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Laross
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by trayjin
    Everything being instanced is what kills it for me. Other then that everything looks kinda fun at least til TESO gets out.

everything isn't instanced.. 

correct, not everything is instanced, there are dungeons which are instanced, but are a lot of fun to do and actually more fun than the open areas of the world due to the focused battles.  From what I've experienced so far the game is about 60% instanced (dungeons, challenges, events, etc)  and 40% is Open world areas where you'll meet up with plenty of players.  The game has a good mix of the two which keeps it interesting and fun.  And don't forget the foundry levels as well.  

yea the dev interview i saw said about 50/50 so 40/60 could be correct as well but it surely isn't like vindictus style instancing from what I have seen/read

More like 25% open world, and you don't get any exp for killing monsters in it (just doing quests)... I think.  The EXP mechanic is a little weird.  Maybe space wise it's 50%, but gameplay wise it is much less.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Concerns...

The game isn't really finished when Cryptic push it out to us, then it kinda fails, and Cryptic treat it like semi-abandonware and just try to ramp up the cash shop to max levels. We are talking STO scenario here. I played that at Launch and while the Federation side was pretty much fleshed out for a casual game, the Klingons was really unfinished business here. 

Neverwinters is basically just a playable demo and has nothing much to it beyond being a ramped up dungeon crawler with no real world feel to the game. this is really possible until you play the whole game. Remember AoC anyone, Tortage was really fleshed out, but beyond that the game wasn't finished.

This is basically seen long-term by Cryptic as F2P cash shop game. Nothing really going on beyond vanity armor and pretending to do D&D.

Graphics suggest this game may be a high world version of Champions Online.

Better games are around the corner, Elder Scrolls Online anyone.

Folks, the jury is out on this one, but I am doubting that playing the game will feel like playing Skyrim. It may be Champions Online / STO random missions, with buy to play classes and other heavy hard on cash shop features.Remember we are talking Perfect World Boutique kinda meltdown on this one dudes ;-)

You need to keep in mind they haven't made any (or much) money yet.  Unlike STO and Champions they got box sales and maybe some subscriptions to cover costs.  If no one plays Neverwinter they won't cover the cost of making it, so they're incentivized to to  make people want to play it.

Now that doesn't mean that they'll not turn in into a PTW game or that they'll not "abandon" it (I haven't played STO or Champions since launch), but they certainly had a good record with COX, and if no one plays, they may all lose their jobs, so  it shouldn't all be doom and gloom.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    The effects and graphics looks like just another early 2000 game. (yawn) Another titel to skip.

I highly doubt that Geforce 4 graphics card would be able to handle Neverwinter.  It's a gorgeous game, I had the opportunity to play it a few conventions.

It takes a certain amount of maturity to realize that not everything has to be perfect for something to be great.  If you live a life of judging, things will just naturally pass you by and it will be you to regret it, not others.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by grimfall

Now that doesn't mean that they'll not turn in into a PTW game or that they'll not "abandon" it (I haven't played STO or Champions since launch), but they certainly had a good record with COX, and if no one plays, they may all lose their jobs, so  it shouldn't all be doom and gloom.

It's also the only good game they've ever made, ever since NCSoft gave them the boot they've churned out half finished rubbish.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Zefire
    [mod edit]

I'd much rather have 5 very polished classes then 10 half assed classes.  BTW if you've had chance to play the game you wouldn't be laughing but rather impressed by the polish of the classes. thus far.  

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I will most likely dump the cash to play this game. It doesnt matter how good or how bad it is, I cant stop myself from trying every new MMO that comes out. I am an MMO whore.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by donjuanagain
    I will most likely dump the cash to play this game. It doesnt matter how good or how bad it is, I cant stop myself from trying every new MMO that comes out. I am an MMO whore.

haha i admit iam one as well.. i try them all as they are by far the best deals when considering $ per hour of content in gaming imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    [mod edit]

And 5 more in the works right now prior to release. I'm sure they'll be adding more have a friend who works there. ;)

So... contrary to everything else I've heard and read, you're saying Neverwinter is going to release with 10 classes. Source, please.  And no, "friend who works there" doesn't count.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Currently playing GW2 and toying with TERA...the world of TERA is just so bland. Think I might pick this up and try it mainly due to the fact I really like 4th edition DND. Actually my favorite edition in all the 30 years I have played. However EQNEXT is till the game I am waiting for the most.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Samhael
    5 clasees on release?hahaha

And 5 more in the works right now prior to release. I'm sure they'll be adding more have a friend who works there. ;)

So... contrary to everything else I've heard and read, you're saying Neverwinter is going to release with 10 classes. Source, please.  And no, "friend who works there" doesn't count.

Where in my statement did I say they would be releasing 5 more classes at launch, I said they are working on them this early prior to launch and it was in the TotalBiscuit beta video where he interviewed Zeke one of the main devs. 

So now that that's cleared up my guess would be that they'd release them shortly after launch if all goes well.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    [mod edit]

Where in my statement did I say they would be releasing 5 more classes at launch, I said they are working on them this early prior to launch and it was in the TotalBiscuit beta video where he interviewed Zeke one of the main devs. 

So now that that's cleared up my guess would be that they'd release them shortly after launch if all goes well.

To add onto this moderators and cryptic staff have said that other classes have already been in the works.  Like the ranger has been confirmed that it will be melee so no huntards yet and I beleive some warlock class is confirmed also of being in production.

As far as Neverwinter itself.... well this is more of an MMO with a D&D skin.  Felt too Diablo like combat and not enough D&D.  Will still toy with it but my money is on DDO being the better D&D MMO imo.  I don't wnat a D&D WoW bastardization but a real D&D MMO of what DDO should have been. 

If anything I'll let Neverwinter age a bit before seriously checking it out and wait for the Foundry content to develope a bit and for more classes to be added since only one class really intrests me.  Hate the laser pewpew cleric, want my battle cleric that smashes foes faces in.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Shana77
    A lot of people here sound like they haven't played this game yet. I was very sceptical about this game until i got to try it in beta. Now I'm in love. 

Well I was pretty hyped about the possibilities before the beta but afterwards I cant get enough.  I cant play another game because of how much i want to be playing NWO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Classes
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Archer_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Controller_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Devoted_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Greatweapon_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Guardian_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Scourge_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Trickster_Selected.Wtex

Alt Icons
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Cleric_Devotedcleric_Selected.Wt ex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Fighter_Guardian_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Rogue_Trickster_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Wizard_Controlwizard_Selected.Wt ex

And no the Ranger being released shortly after launch is an Archer (bow) ranger.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

again holy trinity ?

i hope it will be just a title and not another game with aggro mechanics ...

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    The effects and graphics looks like just another early 2000 game. (yawn) Another titel to skip.

I highly doubt that Geforce 4 graphics card would be able to handle Neverwinter.  It's a gorgeous game, I had the opportunity to play it a few conventions.

It takes a certain amount of maturity to realize that not everything has to be perfect for something to be great.  If you live a life of judging, things will just naturally pass you by and it will be you to regret it, not others.

I gladly let this game pass by. Mark my word, i will not regret it. I'm not looking for a "perfect"game as you put it. I just simply wont play this poorly made copy. And dont come here and talk about maturity. I've matured enough and played and beta tested plenty of games, to judge what games i see i simply cant enjoy anymore. Guess you are just one among many that settle with less, of what we could have. But instead ppl want F2P games, then you get what you shout for. Less good games.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by furbans

To add onto this moderators and cryptic staff have said that other classes have already been in the works.  Like the ranger has been confirmed that it will be melee so no huntards yet and I beleive some warlock class is confirmed also of being in production.

As far as Neverwinter itself.... well this is more of an MMO with a D&D skin.  Felt too Diablo like combat and not enough D&D.  Will still toy with it but my money is on DDO being the better D&D MMO imo.  I don't wnat a D&D WoW bastardization but a real D&D MMO of what DDO should have been. 

If anything I'll let Neverwinter age a bit before seriously checking it out and wait for the Foundry content to develope a bit and for more classes to be added since only one class really intrests me.  Hate the laser pewpew cleric, want my battle cleric that smashes foes faces in.

I'm hoping they make the ranger a half melee half ranged class, way too many games trivialize the firing of ranged weapons so we end up with machine gun sally running around with a bow of endless arrows taking everyone down. If Wizards of the Coast has their say it might be very different then what people are used to. Then again they have smites and magic missiles with enless firepower who knows.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

You'll be paying for the specialized classes. This is PWEs way.  FTP players will have vanilla classes and to specialize/multi class you'll need cash.

The game looked really good in the beginning, but since then all you have to do is look at STO to see Cryptics and PWEs game plan. A mega grind along with time gated equipment unlocks to control character development/progression.

The sad part is over the years, people have been programmed to play MMOs this way. We need to break the mold...