Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVE in RVR Games.

AnideinAnidein Member UncommonPosts: 19
I have seen a lot of MMOs take a route that is completely different than the others.  Most of these mmos go down a single path when it comes to RVR, PVP, and PVE and have little to show for it..

The first problem is that RVR does not yeild enough reward for a player to play as the entire game.  Ideas that are great in dark age actually are completely hindered by complete RVR, such as Darkness Falls.  Darkness falls is a non instanced dungeon that gave players who did not have any impact on end game rvr (towers)  a dungeon with new merchants, high reward monsters (exp), and a dungeon only based loot system as demon seals.

I would also like to point out that DAoC with pure pvp:pve is not that great for players who are looking for the RPG in MMORPG. Personally, I enjoyed the dungeons such as Mithra's Tomb and Avalon City, because they actually gave people a break from RVR and also because players are not always spending time with players of their own level.  Leveling is a huge part MMORPGs, even those with RVR.  If players didn't have PVE to help them use their abilities without other real players to worry about, when they are being beaten severely in rvr, people would get worn easily.

PVE also helped players inside of DAoC's Labyrinth of the Minotaur actually better than the RVR in the game.  Besides the bosses, finding the way-point stones was interesting and fun.

PVE in RVR games is not a hindrance, but a boon.  Above all, PVE and RVR should be balanced to make sure the game is not stale, because it takes 2 flavors of play styles to create a big game such as Dark Age's spiritual successor.

Comments

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

You need to remember the game is not aimed at been dark ages successor. I do wonder though just how many players a full PvP MMO with a subscription can will get though.

I do think having something like Darkness falls is an option though, GW2 has the undergound of the Eternal battlegrounds, that place was rather cool. You could have a similar thing underground in CU, be it a mine under a keep or much like GW2's. then make it it rich for crafting with perhaps only the highest level ore down there among other things to encourage players to go down there.

The downtime after that would then be the crafting part and the construction and outfitting of houses.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Yeah I agree, I do like some pve in a pvp game.

I love RvR and PvP,. but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and relax and grind some mobs, or explore a dungeon.

I used to love Getting a group together and grinding some exp on insta fins over in Hibernia. Get a group of some guildies, throw on some music, or throw in a DVD. Sit back and exp, Bull shitting about women, or work... oh man that was great

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    You should re-read Mark Jacob's foundations posts. He is trying to make a game that will be loved by the players who do find only RvR rewarding. If you don't think that would be enough for you, that's okay. There are lots of others MMOs that cater to people who like PvE. If you want PvE with a little RvR on the side, TESO may be the game for you later this year.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer