Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you want a /stick command that works on enemies?

13»

Comments

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76

God, no!

Foundational Principle #3 – You should always hold the hands of your little children while crossing busy intersections but…

…our players are not children and this is not an intersection crossing. Over the years many MMORPG designers, me included, have employed various devices and mechanics in order to increase our games’ subscription base. 

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

In 2001 you NEEDED stick. most people were rocking dial-up or AT BEST a T-1.

256 ping in a game was considered GOOD! anything less than 1000 was playable. 

It's now 2014, We have sixth graders with cellphones more powerful than full gaming rigs back then. It's not necessary. If you have to put in a console command to allow players to over-come the failings of the game engine that's a serious problem. Hit detection and net-code have come ALONG way.

And that's not comming from a caster. I play warriors in almost every MMO.

• AddiktedAddikted Member UncommonPosts: 33
    yes.
  • BelgaarBelgaar Member Posts: 2

I cant even imagin playing daoc without the /face , /stick and /assist .

If youre saying you dit good in rvr without using these commands , youre either super human or a robot

if you wanted to use a backstabbing style, With a short stun the only way to pull that of was to run tru and hit /face

Not using /assist /stick in a 5 man would lose you the fight , or maybe you only played main assist and choose the targets

Oh and i almost forgot the line of sight , if youre a caster and gota stand still to cast Without the /face good Luck pulling that of , you either wil lose LOS or interupt cast moving

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

I used to find it irritating as hell in early wow when you were travelling to a dungeon and someone would put /follow on you.  

What?  Is your time that much more important than mine that I have to act like some bloody taxi service?  

Of course if they had the common courtesy to ask first I didn't mind so much, but that rarely happened.  

• BelgaarBelgaar Member Posts: 2
    LOL you can just shake them of in some agro mobs  or run faster ;P
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Muckbeast

1) /stick is one of the main reasons DAoC PvP was the best PvP in the history of MMOs. 

2) /stick solved the problem of idiots spaz jumping like fools and being able to exploit lag, latency, client-server miscommunication, etc. Jumping around as a way to have 100% mitigation is stupid. 

3) /stick is a huge step towards making melee viable. In almost every PvP MMO, melee classes quickly become fodder and there are huge problems balancing melee and ranged classes. /stick is the key to moving towards balance.

4) /stick solved a lot of problems with lag and client-server not knowing exactly where everyone was. There is no way for client-server information to always be perfect.

5) /stick isn't cheap. /stick removes things that are cheap. See above, especially #2 and #3.

6) /stick adds strategy, because you spend more time thinking about what you are going to do and less time fighting the UI to just be in melee range.

7) /stick is better for UI design, because you are able to use more buttons and keybinds since you don't have to constantly keep 3 or 4 fingers on WAD or WASD.

I sincerely hope CU has /stick. The lack of /stick in MMOs after DAoC is a huge reason they have been dramatically inferior in so many ways.

/stick is grossly underrated as a vital feature in MMOs.

QFT!

i think the most complaints against this particular mode are being made because they just aren't familiar with how it works out in practice, its one of those things where it makes a lot more sense to experience it, than to discuss itimage

• SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Yes. /stick does not last past a certain range and just makes the mechanics much more fun. In 1v1 the person doing side procs and the like usually stun anyways. I never found it to be disadvantageous in either way in daoc but i did find it to make things run smoother when chasing someone in a bg etc :)
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Without much more info on the combat mechanics of the game, I think it's impossible to know if /stick should be in the game. In DAOC, I think /stick worked great (for a variety of reasons based on the combat mechanics). Camelot Unchained could go either way - it just depends on how they design everything else.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

One thing Wildstar did right was the targetting and fun combat.  I wasn't aware how much I wanted it before I played Wildstar, but after it I knew I did.

When I quit Wildstar for pvp reasons (namely, lame gear treadmill...this might have changed but it was in place when I quit) I left for the MOBA Smite.  Smite is fun and really tiding me over nicely until anything interesting arises on the MMO front.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Complete depends on how combat is, works well with some games, helps hacks and bots in others. Till combat is revealed in detail (hands on), there is no reason to have an opinion about it.
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Huh? I don't remember being able to /stick enemies in DAoC...

Anyways, do you want the game to be played for you? /stick all around is a stupid idea. Just useful for lazy people and bot whores. 

• I think it was kind of needed in DAoC due to its clunky movement. This will hopefully not be the case for CU.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    I'd want to see something like that in a game that had no collision detection for other players. Running through/around people like a moron while spamming attacks is on par with bunny hopping and dolphin diving in BF2, as far as I'm concerned, and such a command would shut that right down.

I think CU will have a block button. No need to worry about that if it does. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I'm not a fan of /stick to enemies especially in a PVP game.  If your playing melee than your deciding from the beginning that you wanna be chasing folks around and moving to different sides for positional moves and such.  I do think /face should be in the game for archers and casters and /stick should work on team/realm mates.  However when /stick works on enemies I think it completely cheapens combat for melee.

Although my second main char (AlbION Sorc) I used to love it, cause you have the melee's in group all stack and than you have 1 real easy AOE Mez to stop your enemies and roll them 1-on-1 while the rest sit there watching, waiting their turn.  Down right funny and infuriating to your enemies. 

God I miss mez....