Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the MMO is nice at begining and bad in the end? (about leveling)

Guys I know that maybe someone already posted about this, but my doubt is:

Why does the developers do a system that you can level in a good timing when you are low level and them it gets so hard when you are on mid to high levels. Thats tottaly not nice. I played lots of MMO and all of them have this (almost all), you can level 4 or 5 levels a day at the begining but not even 1 level a day in the end!!!!

Other thing is that when you are starting a game, it's much more cool, more players, so it keeps you going... but as you level you become more lonely and it gets boring. This happens more in asians MMOs I believe.

Why do you think developers do this? Is that a lack of sense or perception, or maybe bad work, what you think?

Comments

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    GW2 don't have it, same for all levels and I really love that part.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    To reduce the speed at which you reach max level, because that is when you start to run out of content, and subsequently leave the game.  You see this tactic being used more often in P2P mmo's rather than FTP mmo's.  Although it's used in many FTP mmo's where they sell xp pots, because they want you buying the items from their micro transaction stores.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

exp curve ...

and to get players "hooked" at then by the time they are mid/high lvl cant leave the game :P

lots of ppl find the game fun at the begging , after the 200th quest of 0/20 boar liver ,with a 0.001% drop rate ~~

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Well I played GW2 but just level until 20 so I can't say much. But for me this really happen on MMO, you can level easy in  the start but very hard in the end, and that's too much time spent!!!
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by nebullae

Guys I know that maybe someone already posted about this, but my doubt is:

Why does the developers do a system that you can level in a good timing when you are low level and them it gets so hard when you are on mid to high levels. Thats tottaly not nice. I played lots of MMO and all of them have this (almost all), you can level 4 or 5 levels a day at the begining but not even 1 level a day in the end!!!!

Other thing is that when you are starting a game, it's much more cool, more players, so it keeps you going... but as you level you become more lonely and it gets boring. This happens more in asians MMOs I believe.

Why do you think developers do this? Is that a lack of sense or perception, or maybe bad work, what you think?

honestly man i think MMOs are far to easy to level in, and thats why there is such a drop off at high level. once you get to high level the game becomes boring and repetitive. the journy to the max level is alot of times way more fun than being max level.

take all the new MMOs that have come out the last few years, you can max level in any of them in the free month without really going hard core. to me if you can max level that fast then the game better have ALOT to do in its end game or else population is going to drop quickly. and im not talking doing the same raids over and over that gets old fast for alot of players.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    As a side note, EQ1 had one of the steepest leveling curve I've ever seen in an MMO.  And I would go back to EQ in a heart beat if it simply got a graphics overhaul & got rid of the hired NPC mechanic. (back to it's group based roots, instead of solo oriented direction it is going now)
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by ragz45
    As a side note, EQ1 had one of the steepest leveling curve I've ever seen in an MMO.  And I would go back to EQ in a heart beat if it simply got a graphics overhaul & got rid of the hired NPC mechanic. (back to it's group based roots, instead of solo oriented direction it is going now)

Thats how i am with Asherons Call, hell they raised the level cap from 126 to 275, im not even close to cap but its so much fun because every night people get together and go out questing. and im not talking go kill 20 rats or collect boar tails or deliver notes to npcs all over the world. i mean real quest for items you can use that are fun to do.

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    MMOs are like marriage. The leveling process is the honeymoon phase and the end is the actual marriage...

• nebullaenebullae Member Posts: 15
    Well but if the end game content is stupid and boring I think it's not worth leveling at all, it's not worth playing that MMO I believe right? I like a lot the PVP, right now I'm leveling in Tera and it's taking a lot of time, I don't see a problem with the endgame cause I wanna do PVP, that's it, but its a pain to level to 60 dude... This model of holding you in the game is bad.... boring... and stupid...
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I feel like older games took longer to level than games now , I liked slower leveling.
    The problem is not only slower leveling, but boring leveling. Tera is a great game, the combat system is awesome, but to do decent PVP (BG and Arena) you need to get to 60 and it's fackin boring!!!!!
    Well Stimos8 I have to agree with you, even that it pains! I'm sad about life, cause after I started playing MMOs I can't play other game style... I'm stuck to MMOs, but I'm bored with the leveling system and stay with the feeling that I can't never reach what I want (max level, max pvp gear) that is focus on PVP and thats it!
  • pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Ok guys but would it be possible to do a list of the ones that doesn't follow this stupid leveling curve? GW2 is one, more?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Exponential progression curve.  It is quite common, but the trend is away from this design.

They (devs) do this to get players out of lowbie zones quickly (to make room) and bunch them up at mid-levels (to keep mid-level zones populated).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by ragz45

Thats how i am with Asherons Call, hell they raised the level cap from 126 to 275, im not even close to cap but its so much fun because every night people get together and go out questing. and im not talking go kill 20 rats or collect boar tails or deliver notes to npcs all over the world. i mean real quest for items you can use that are fun to do.

Hit 267 last night on my main toon I started back in early 2000.  My first guy was gimped and shelved him after about 5 months of playtime.

Only 3.2 billion XP till the next level LOL.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    This is why it's important to have player-generated content as well as game content.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus
    This is why it's important to have player-generated content as well as game content.

i agree and its still odd to me how so many games release with 0 systems in place for player made content.. and many that do add it like housing for instance usually do it well down the line in the games lifespan.. really why I'm looking forward to NW and hoping their new foundry system is worth putting time into

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RovnRovn Member UncommonPosts: 3

Interesting how Stimos8 made a very insightful post, that I found helpful in regards to end game content in pay to play mmos and now that I refresh this thread, his post has been deleted.

I've been reading this website for at least 7 years, several times a week, sometimes several times a day and that post gets deleted?

He did take a funny stab at a poster, I will give you that, but really, I mean seriously, his entire posted is deleted?

His account too?  (not sure)

I would have much rather have seen the poster he was questioning have a response.

I am in no way shape or form assosiated with Stimos8 and maybe he was a little over the top but how far really?

Was he Rush Limbaugh over the top?

Not even close.

This is really sad, always loved this site and look forward to it everyday, but now I feel like this post (my first and only - not including a blog response) will also be deleted.

Let's see.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Simple, people like progression.

Leveling= progression

When gear comes as easy as it does any more by afking in a battleground there is no progression for gear.

When you max level and there is nothing to do you get bored. 

EQ did it right with AA.... always leveling.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by pongdun
    Ok guys but would it be possible to do a list of the ones that doesn't follow this stupid leveling curve? GW2 is one, more?

for MMOs with actual numbered levels i can't honestly think of any others offhand... hmm

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Good in the beginning, bad in the end IMO has very little to do with levels, or skills or any of that.

It's because we are used to it, thats it.  In the beginning no matter how many MMO's we've tried this is still something relatively new.  It's like the new bike or new car, yes it works the same as the old one but it's still nice and shiny. 

After a few hours/days/weeks/months years, we're bored, been there and done that.  The mechanics don't change, the way we interact with the game doesn't change.

Thats why it's bad in the end, we're just bored of it.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Ok but when I said good in the begining and bad in the end I mean not the end game but the last levels, about the leveling. There are other posts about the end game at all. The problem in my opinion comes before the end game, comes when you are trying to reach the remaining 20% of the last levels. Thats when it gets reallyyyy boring, really lonely.

And I can say more, if all of you (including me) are always saying that it would be better to level in a good way (not boring and taking so long) and to invest in the end game, why the "fack" the developers don't do that?????

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

After a few hours/days/weeks/months years, we're bored, been there and done that.  The mechanics don't change, the way we interact with the game doesn't change.

Thats why it's bad in the end, we're just bored of it.

It baffles me how men can grow bored with their wives in just a few years, but expect a hobby/games to still be "like it used to be" after more than a decade.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Asheron's call 2 is one of those games you eather love the grind or not.

It has a huge GRIND and still i almost don't hear any one complain ever about grind.

In the beginning its indeed as OP said few lvls a day but this process slows down consirable later on im now lvl62 and if i continuing grind for 4 hours im maybe get 1/5 th of my lvl if this same next 5 days i lvl 1 lvl in 5 or 6 days. This is even slow at offcorse higher lvls and game have 150 lvls.

But grind is fun and you realy build ingame relaltionship with other players who for long time around your lvls i hunt  in last few weeks with players ive never met before and we now hunt everyday and have fun.

Fellow is 9 players with many different classes we welcome every new player invited in fellow we chat alot and gratz when you achieve something all say when they leave and we all say goodbye cya next time. People also help alot

Grind in AC2 maybe steeb but loot is great and alot of fun.

We now have group of players al around lvl60+63 looking forward to next area we going to move that have lvl67-72 lvl mobss and nobody complain about being for maybe weeks in same area hunting those mobs.

I think AC2 is one few games that have done it right and make grind fun and players dont complain about it, enough divesity to keep it interesting.

Ac2 have one best communities ive seen in last 10 years with offcorse exception but thats in every game.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by phantomghost

Simple, people like progression.

Leveling= progression

When gear comes as easy as it does any more by afking in a battleground there is no progression for gear.

When you max level and there is nothing to do you get bored. 

EQ did it right with AA.... always leveling.

Leveling is progression, but you also have a strike a good balance between too short and too long. GW2 is a good example of a good balance. I would say on average it takes me anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes to hit a level (I haven't done an actual stopwatch test yet). 80-120 hours to hit a max level in a mmo seems to be a decent pace, it's about the pace of WoW as well, but the curve there is out of whack, way too short at the beginning and a little too long towards the end.

After playing GW2 and MoP, I find that the scaling content is a far better approach in the long run. If WoW had scaling content, you could go back to previous raid tiers and still find a challenge, but also be rewarded apporpriately. In GW2, you could literally stay in Queensdale and level 1-80, sure it might be slower to do so, and you miss out on higher level crafting materials, but the point is that you can do it.

The other thing that developers need to focus on, and improve upon is horizontal progression as well. Constant inflation of power will only complicate things over time, again WoW is a good example of this. Even ANet caved a bit and added verticle progression with Ascended gear. If horizontal progression systems can improved and perfected, leveling curves would become a thing of the past. Your path to power could look more like a staircase rather than a gradual curve, ending in a plateau, but the top becoming endless possibilities for character building without drastic increases to power.

Finding that system is the hard part apparently.