Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can a fan do to get that interest back into playing?

2»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by SteeJanz

You should try Engineer.  It's pretty cool and the Kits make it truely unique.  The Engineer is the only profession that gets to choose its Class specific skills (F1-F4).  They are based off your utility skills.  You will truly enjoy setting off your first Big ole Bomb.  I would save the first time for a large group.   Gather everybody up and place your bomb and watch them fly.  It's awesome.  You wanna clear a spot, it will do the trick.  They can be pretty tanky as well.   There was no way I was going to play one, started one for my son to try in beta, and Itsbeen my main ever since.    Plenty of options. 

p.s. giving someone a wrench beat down is something special.  It may cause you to tear up a bit.  Some people think the wrench kit if for a turret healer like in TF2.  It's not, it's for bashing peoples face in.

i wish i could enjoy engineer but i don't enjoy grenades or bomb kits which really puts a hamper on the class overall for me:(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Yea I actually thought of leveling up another Warrior, it too was my favorite class.  My main Warrior is a GS/LB and I had a notion a few weeks ago to level up a Rifle/Hammer or Rifle Axe/Mace Warrior.

If that sounds interesting, perhaps it's your answer.

Another angle is personal perspective.  Even if it's not magical anymore, consider yourself ahead just for having something worth playing.  You could do much worse.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Personally I think you might want to wait unless you are itching to do the living story stuff. I am just kinda waiting and checking out each update and find myself more and more satisfied with each patch.

Still hoping for a big end game instance like FoW, UW, Urgoz or The Deep

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

You should try Engineer.  It's pretty cool and the Kits make it truely unique.  The Engineer is the only profession that gets to choose its Class specific skills (F1-F4).  They are based off your utility skills.  You will truly enjoy setting off your first Big ole Bomb.  I would save the first time for a large group.   Gather everybody up and place your bomb and watch them fly.  It's awesome.  You wanna clear a spot, it will do the trick.  They can be pretty tanky as well.   There was no way I was going to play one, started one for my son to try in beta, and Itsbeen my main ever since.    Plenty of options. 

p.s. giving someone a wrench beat down is something special.  It may cause you to tear up a bit.  Some people think the wrench kit if for a turret healer like in TF2.  It's not, it's for bashing peoples face in.

i wish i could enjoy engineer but i don't enjoy grenades or bomb kits which really puts a hamper on the class overall for me:(

I can understand that.  However, there is much more to the Engi.  All you described is two skills, yet with the engi, it change so much.  I only grenade uderwater, I don't like it that much.  Bomb kit however, I use all the time in dungeons but I can see people not liking to be up close and personal.  Melee guys can't used to the guy standing next to them, "Oh I aint gunna touch hit you, but I will kill you."    However, even if you dislike it, its worth dropping in occasionally to get the toolbelt skill, big ol' bomb.   Then you get to say things like, "Where did everybody go?" or "Which spot did you want me to clear a 300 raduis circle?"

You could run a duel pistol, elixir build and ignore the kits all together or go elixir kit for support or grab a flame thrower kit and go pyro all over everything, or my personal favorite, drop in a tool kit and smack someone in the face, whack them in the face, thwack them in the face and then crowbar them in the face.  When the get tire off it and run, then you use your magnet to bring them back and smack them in the face again.   :)

I can understand that.  However, there is much more to the Engi.  All you described is two skills, yet with the engi it they change so much.  I only grenade uderwater, I don't like it that much.  Bomb kit however, I use all the time in dungeons but I can see people not liking to be up close and personal.  Melee guys can't used to the guy standing next to them, "Oh I aint gunna touch hit you, but I will kill you."    However, even if you dislike it, its worth dropping in occasionally to get the toolbelt skill, big ol' bomb.   Then you get to say things like, "Where did everybody go?" or "Which spot did you want me to clear a 300 raduis circle?"

You could run a duel pistol, elixir build and ignore the kits al together or go elixir kit for support or grab a flame thrower kit and go pyro all over everything, or my personal favorite, drop in a tool kit and smack someone in the face, whack them in the face, thwack them in the face and then crowbar them in the face.  When the get tire off it and run, then you use your magnet to bring them back and smack them in the face again.   :)

yea i have my charr engineer sitting there to level.. think my issue is they already have a limited weapon sets due to the kits.. when you write off 2 kits that narrows my choices down even more.. i'm the type of player that generally likes to switch out builds every 10 or so levels when leveling..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I can understand that.  However, there is much more to the Engi.  All you described is two skills, yet with the engi it they change so much.  I only grenade uderwater, I don't like it that much.  Bomb kit however, I use all the time in dungeons but I can see people not liking to be up close and personal.  Melee guys can't used to the guy standing next to them, "Oh I aint gunna touch hit you, but I will kill you."    However, even if you dislike it, its worth dropping in occasionally to get the toolbelt skill, big ol' bomb.   Then you get to say things like, "Where did everybody go?" or "Which spot did you want me to clear a 300 raduis circle?"

You could run a duel pistol, elixir build and ignore the kits al together or go elixir kit for support or grab a flame thrower kit and go pyro all over everything, or my personal favorite, drop in a tool kit and smack someone in the face, whack them in the face, thwack them in the face and then crowbar them in the face.  When the get tire off it and run, then you use your magnet to bring them back and smack them in the face again.   :)

yea i have my charr engineer sitting there to level.. think my issue is they already have a limited weapon sets due to the kits.. when you write off 2 kits that narrows my choices down even more.. i'm the type of player that generally likes to switch out builds every 10 or so levels when leveling..

I can understand that.  I am trying to get my thief to level 80 and after all this engi talk, i getting the itch to jump back on him.  Good thing my Theif is at level 78.  :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Would really like comments from those who still play and still enjoy the game but I know that will be hard.

I find there are more people here that like the game than not, so not that hard.  Me, I still haven't finished with the game yet, but taking a break and playing something non-MMO usually gets me back in the mood for a game like GW2. 

You can try completing all the jumping puzzles for a change of pace.
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

You might try this, because its what I have been doing lately. I'm been running around farming gold just for no reason whatsoever. I don't know, its just kinda satisfying to get t6 mats and rares in orr even though I have no use for gold at the moment. I too have hte best gear in the game and best infusions. I also have a Legendary, yet I still find myself out farming gold in Orr zones. WHen I hit DR in one zone I move to another.

Use http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/events.php?serverKey=117&langKey=en to check for boss times and run the boss events. Those are pretty fun.

Look for a guild that enjoys running dungeons because there are kinda 21 different dungeons since all 9 have 3 different paths. Dungeons can be pretty fun if you run them with comrades with voice communication.

Fractals at 20+ is a pretty decent challenge. Makes it fun.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Zzad
    OP try to play a toon with "map completion" turned Off in your map (icon is found at lower left corner)

Game is A LOT more interesting with the handholding off ;) It plays a lot more like an open world like Skyrim...like

Try it & let me know how it feels ^^

been playing like that for awhile now:) just wandering around doing events following their stories.. best way to play imho:)

this is true. I am going to try this myself as well. Also, having the objectives on screen for completion not just "handhold" a bit but also is sort of an incentive to rush through everything because you get desperate when taking too long and your completion bar is not full.

The less you rush, the more you enjoy it too.

Originally posted by rojo6934
    OP try to play a toon with "map completion" turned Off in your map (icon is found at lower left corner)

Game is A LOT more interesting with the handholding off ;) It plays a lot more like an open world like Skyrim...like

been playing like that for awhile now:) just wandering around doing events following their stories.. best way to play imho:)

this is true. I am going to try this myself as well. Also, having the objectives on screen for completion not just "handhold" a bit but also is sort of an incentive to rush through everything because you get desperate when taking too long and your completion bar is not full.

The less you rush, the more you enjoy it too.

yea that's what i found.. when playing with the markers on the map the game turns more into i got to get here to get this skill point or this vista and you b-line to that location and maybe stop and do an event that passes by on your way.. you take that away it makes it easier to just play by just roaming the land and enjoying the stories and events

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Honestly I really wish the game had been made this way originally, without any renown hearts at all.  The game would have been a much MUCH better game if it had.

The problem is humans are a lot like water, if you give us an easier path most of the time human's will take it.  Even if it's not good for them.  Putting in the "option" to turn the easy path off is nice, but in reality it's really just personally setting the bar higher for yourself.  Meanwhile everyone else is zipping past you at the speed of light.  

It makes it impossible to be an explorer type player & uncover things before anyone else in games now days, unless you use the cheezy "cheating" way.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Sounds like a good idea thing is theres no other classes sans Mesmer that interest me so will have to go with that class.

Elementalists are very fun to play too! very dinamic class...very versatile & fast paced since you are constantly changing attunements! Give it a try too if you haven´t already ;)

Be patient though...you are not going to get maps solved like you do in normal gameplay...but it´s VERY interesting specially if you really enjoy exploring! Take your time with that new toon,and you´ll experience a whole new game "kind of" hehe

enjoy :)

Got my Ele to 17 but found out you need to always be changing attunements to maximize their potential and I do not like that.  Also tried Necro but it wasn't for me.  Currently playing a GS Ranger but disliek the pet.  My 80's are Warrior, Guardian and Thief so as you can see I like Melee. image

You can always deactivate the pet (there is a triangular arrow that says hide/activate) and play pet less, although I see no reason why since the pet generally does his thing and it is very useful to call the pet so he lure mobs to traps.

At the moment I use black bear and whiptail devour on swap, but bears are quite resilient unless they are overwhelmed.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I have 6 level 80 characters and leveling another one :)

What drives me to do more of that? I like leveling. And I like, everytime I go through zone, I find something new. Dynamic event, that I've never seen, some nice characters etc. First step is to turn off map points (apart from waypoints naturaly) and just go out and explore. Ignore map completion. This has two purposes: you will level much slower and you don't have "magnets" that drag you to certain places (while ignoring places, where no such magnets are).

As for level 80 characters. I would actually suggest smallish very friendly/family like guild. In my experience it's much easier to get more social in such guilds and you find people you want to play with (and it actually doesn't really matter what you play, dungeons/exploration/fractals/jumping puzzles).

And of course, GW2 is B2P, go buy an offline game on gog and come back in a month. As ANET kicks in the new living story content, we can expect some nice changes in near future.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you have leveled up 3 chars to level 80 and have map 100% and you have the best gear on them and you don't want to do PvP, I guess there is not much else to do for you.

You can try one of the below:

- Level up another character to lvl 80

- Go for some of the achievements - e.g. jumping puzzles, keg brawl thingie etc.

- Come back on the 26th Feb when they will expand the living story. What you played so far is just a setup, the real deal is supposed to be coming on the 26th Feb. They will also add guild missions and improve the achievement system.

Failing that then you shouldn't play the game. I usually can't give people like you a good piece of advice because I always play all aspects of a game. I am not a PvE only or PvP only person. I play all aspects of a game. But I understand that a lot of people don't like PvE or PvP for some reason (not just in GW but in general) and that's fine but obviously this limits the amount of content available to you.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Just take a few months off and wait for new content. 3 chars with 100% completion means you played a lot.

I played the first GW for 5 years but I took long breaks (3-6 months) at times to keep it fun. Try out something else for a while and go back when you feel for it, or at the next expansion.

Forcing yourself to play a game is not fun at all and might burn you out for good. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Like you do in most MMOs, take a break and play other games.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Loke666

Just take a few months off and wait for new content. 3 chars with 100% completion means you played a lot.

I played the first GW for 5 years but I took long breaks (3-6 months) at times to keep it fun. Try out something else for a while and go back when you feel for it, or at the next expansion.

Forcing yourself to play a game is not fun at all and might burn you out for good. 

This. I've never stayed in any game longer than six months. Once it starts to get to the point to where I'm hesitating logging in I stop, cancel my sub, and don't come back for a few months. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

Find a Guild that does regular events on a regular basis.  It will not only keep you interested, but you'll enjoy the time with fellow Guildies as well  :)

If you tend to hop games alot, then find an Organization that is into many games :)

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !