Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: February’s Flame and Frost Update Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the Guild Wars 2 live event ready to start in a couple weeks, we managed to sit down with Game Director Colin Johanson to talk about Flame & Frost and what it will bring to the game. Check out our exclusive interview before heading to the comments to continue the discussion.

MMORPG: Can we touch base on the Two-Team PVP stuff?  I’m not huge on sPVP, so consider me a layperson and speak to me in small words about what it means.

COLIN: It…is…more…gooder.

Slightly less simplified: two teams fight, we have ratings that track how well the players do, and the game uses matchmaking based on those ratings to determine which teams fight. In the future, we’ll use those ratings to show the best PvP players in the world based on their rating on our leaderboards.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: February’s Flame and Frost Update Detailed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Wow! This game just keeps upping the ante.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Great info, thx for dis good stuff.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    And the silence reguarding the WvW train wreck.....continues.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

what silence? March update is supposed to be mostly about WvW

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Cheaper waypoint cost... if this is an example of a new guild bonus it will be HUGE. I'm extremely excited about it.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    @shadan
    What train wreck?! Wvw is doing great! I go in literally every day and there are always fights going on and our servers are well matched.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Cheaper waypoint cost... if this is an example of a new guild bonus it will be HUGE. I'm extremely excited about it.

Between Guild Missions and the daily achievement changes, I'm incredibly psyched.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

OH man you forgot to ask the biggest question of them all.

When will they finally start focusing on class balance? I would assume them having only 2 on the job for all the profession is true then.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Still waiting for more information on guild missions.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    You should stop expecting big class balance patches. they said numerous times they won't make big changed to this part of the game. They believe it is better to take smaller steps. I'm not happy about that either but this is their plan and they are sticking to it.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

What train wreck? WvW is hoping on my server. I cannot remember the last time we didnt have at least one large group on each map.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    You should stop expecting big class balance patches. they said numerous times they won't make big changed to this part of the game. They believe it is better to take smaller steps. I'm not happy about that either but this is their plan and they are sticking to it.

They said that because they don't want to spend more $$ on staff for class balance, you can be naive and accept their excuse but i believe its just false.

Does big changes include bug fixes? Do you know how many bugs each profession have? I dont care about which class is better but the class bugs are insane. Its been months since release and still some classes face over 70 bugs.

Take a good look at their profession forums.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by xalvi

They said that because they don't want to spend more $$ on staff for class balance, you can be naive and accept their excuse but i believe its just false.

Does big changes include bug fixes? Do you know how many bugs each profession have? I dont care about which class is better but the class bugs are insane. Its been months since release and still some classes face over 70 bugs.

Class balance is not equal to class skill bugs. I really like their philosophy when it comes to skill balance updates. It was a mess in GW1, because they mostly updated the FotM with each update in the later years. That is not how you balance a game. One step at a time, especially in a game which is nowhere near esport-ready. People still need to learn the game and an observer mode would help others learn how to react to certain situations and builds. Until then who is able to define something as imbalanced.

That being said, GW2 got an issue when it comes to single target vs aoe skills, since aoe skills deal as much damage as single target skills. Remember what mess LoL or SC2 was in the first year. Things get better over time, but it needs to be done slowly and one step at a time. ANet has a lot to learn with GW2 as almost no system carries over from the prequel. It's like starting from scratch.
  • odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

you can truly say that nothing has been good sence release of this game..for those who dont know i along with many other was on the top server and top guild and a.net offered free server transfers to the wow kiddieo's that were pitchin a bioch in forums about the top server was dominating every week in wvw and it wasnt because we had more ppl than everyone..it was because we were just plain better...now the wow kiddieo's had banded together and now they are the top server only because of the sheer numbers they outnumber every server now no matter who they play..its stoopid<--  but before that they again panderd to the wow masses on forums and added even more dungeon grinds for badges..its sickening..now..NOW THEY ARE ADDING ctf? get the heck outta here -_- yet another wow flavored peace of gameplay ..this game is slowly dripping down the gutter..i really liked this game but as its life is going on / on its quickly faded to black..what ever happened to real pvp ..real wvw in rpgmmos

wvw has become nuttin but a merry-go-round..zerg take this..zerg take this ..zerg take this..no one defends ..why? because your truly cant no matter how organized you are ..sheer numbers rule all ..my final flame...a.net panders to the wow crowd and for those who are looking for a diff. and good mmorpg stay away..this isnt it..i dont think any new mmorpg will ever be diff. from wow ..a.net has showed their hand to everyone and now they are all in...all in on the wow factor and cash grab

and for those that say there was ctf before wow in mmorpg ..plz tell who had before wow i cant think of many or any at all..at least any that were good and had pvp

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by odinsrath

you can truly say that nothing has been good sence release of this game..for those who dont know i along with many other was on the top server and top guild and a.net offered free server transfers to the wow kiddieo's that were pitchin a bioch in forums about the top server was dominating every week in wvw and it wasnt because we had more ppl than everyone..it was because we were just plain better...now the wow kiddieo's had banded together and now they are the top server only because of the sheer numbers they outnumber every server now no matter who they play..its stoopid<--  but before that they again panderd to the wow masses on forums and added even more dungeon grinds for badges..its sickening..now..NOW THEY ARE ADDING ctf? get the heck outta here -_- yet another wow flavored peace of gameplay ..this game is slowly dripping down the gutter..i really liked this game but as its life is going on / on its quickly faded to black..what ever happened to real pvp ..real wvw in rpgmmos

wvw has become nuttin but a merry-go-round..zerg take this..zerg take this ..zerg take this..no one defends ..why? because your truly cant no matter how organized you are ..sheer numbers rule all ..my final flame...a.net panders to the wow crowd and for those who are looking for a diff. and good mmorpg stay away..this isnt it..i dont think any new mmorpg will ever be diff. from wow ..a.net has showed their hand to everyone and now they are all in...all in on the wow factor and cash grab

and for those that say there was ctf before wow in mmorpg ..plz tell who had before wow i cant think of many or any at all..at least any that were good and had pvp

Are you seriously going to blame your lack of PVP ability on WoW, or "WoW kiddies"?  Seriously?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

If any of those bugs would be high impact I would be worried. To be honest, they aren't.

Originally posted by rodingo

Are you seriously going to blame your lack of PVP ability on WoW, or "WoW kiddies"?  Seriously?

not lack sir ..you must have not read it correctly...adding and pandering to ppl / wow fan boies on their fourms that complain that "this game" isnt like their game

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

When will they finally start focusing on class balance? I would assume them having only 2 on the job for all the profession is true then.

No - they collect data from all the WvW, etc on  all the professions. They already siad they do that.  They believe data not people yelling ' OH MY GOD X profession IS SO OP'. First, every profession has a weakness, learn what they are and how to exploit them BEFORE WHINING about balance. I remember the yelling, and I will bring it up again because it is classic, in Rift players yelling about how OP Saboteurs were, when the game released. Sabs were glass cannons (a riftstalker would rip them apart, if they didn't flaa through themap while shadow stepping 50% of th time - different story) and people never tried to figure out how to deal with them, they just whined, The class got nerfed and it wasn't a viable role for 9 months to a year after the nerf. This is when Trion said, we are looking at data on the damage the roles ar taking/producing BEFORE balancing.

I might make the suggestion, learn to play your role before you actually whine. Playing one since the beginning does not mean you understand the profession at all.

Originally posted by botrytis

No - they collect data from all the WvW, etc on  all the professions. They already siad they do that.  They believe data not people yelling ' OH MY GOD X profession IS SO OP'. First, every profession has a weakness, learn what they are and how to exploit them BEFORE WHINING about balance. I rmember the yelling, and I will bring it up again because it is classic, in Rift yelling about how OP Saboteurs were, when the game released. Sabs were glass cannons and people never tried to figure out how to deal with them, they just whined, The class got nerfed and it wasn't a viable role for 9 months to a year after the nerf. This is when Trion said, we are looking at data on the damage the roles ar taking/producing BEFORE balancing.

I might make the suggestion, learn to play your role before you actually whine. Playing one since the beginning does not mean you understand the profession at all.

easy to say ..has u ever been 2stotted by a thief or mowed down within seconds on your main by a thief or warr.?these 2 classes alone can just look at you and crap out more dps lol..  bugs are a big problem as well..as he said already..theres still tons outthere that they havent touched sence release

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Not a big fan of GW2 but always find myself logging in week to week.  I like the direction they are going in having an over-arching story dictate the activites in the world.  Gives (more) reason for me to log in again... more frequently. 

Hoping they get around to adding more depth and complexity to the dialogue and of course more progression - but know that is taboo against the manifesto.  (I can still dream cant I?) ;-P

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

easy to say ..has u ever been 2stotted by a thief or mowed down within seconds on your main by a thief or warr.?these 2 classes alone can just look at you and crap out more dps lol..  bugs are a big problem as well..as he said already..theres still tons outthere that they havent touched sence release

Um I play Thief in sPvP and I can easily escape from a Warrior/Thief who tries to jump me and mow me down in a few seconds, then I almost always win the fight because they tried to frontload so much and failed so, so hard.

And no, I don't play the same insane burst spec as those thieves - I play a sustained dps through bleeds build with tons of survivability and escape tactics.

• UnderdogSMOUnderdogSMO Member Posts: 41

No - they collect data from all the WvW, etc on  all the professions. They already siad they do that.  They believe data not people yelling ' OH MY GOD X profession IS SO OP'. First, every profession has a weakness, learn what they are and how to exploit them BEFORE WHINING about balance. I rmember the yelling, and I will bring it up again because it is classic, in Rift yelling about how OP Saboteurs were, when the game released. Sabs were glass cannons and people never tried to figure out how to deal with them, they just whined, The class got nerfed and it wasn't a viable role for 9 months to a year after the nerf. This is when Trion said, we are looking at data on the damage the roles ar taking/producing BEFORE balancing.

errrmmm you do no that spike dammge thief and warriors are considerd low tear PVP builds right.

because thay can get you alot of fast and easy kills in the cluster ----- that is the low tear ranks's 

you get into the higher tears and the builds get alot more team focused and a spike build thief or warrior just get CRUSHED. 

if any one sounds like a wow kid around here its you.

((also this is not CTF its CTF like.  it still use's cap points but the flags are a secondary objective.  its actualy more like hut ball if anything))

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Um I play Thief in sPvP and I can easily escape from a Warrior/Thief who tries to jump me and mow me down in a few seconds, then I almost always win the fight because they tried to frontload so much and failed so, so hard.

And no, I don't play the same insane burst spec as those thieves - I play a sustained dps through bleeds build with tons of survivability and escape tactics.

Ditto.  I think FOTM build are to ingrained into us.  It's been how things have been, even in GW1.  I like how things are working out in GW2 when it comes to builds and the variety.  I was asked the other day what utility skills someone should use for a dungeon build.  My response, "Use all of them."

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Yes - initially - then learned what will deal with them - not so much any more. Had to do the same in GW1 - once learned, not a big deal.

Again - learn to play. The WHINE about thiefs is funny as hell as they are easy to deal with. Same with warriors. If you haven't figured out by now, you never will.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Wvw?1:faction imbalance on most server is ludicrous .
    2:see 1
    good for you if the 3faction are balanced cause on mine its not,go blue go go blue go.beurk !boring.