Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why TESO won't become the biggest mmorpg around

13»

Comments

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Elandir90

it won't become the biggest mmorpg around because, imo, its not a TES game at all. 

You can dress a mmo with the setting you so desire but if you have a strong game series focused on freedom of choice, seamsless open world, deep character progression, insane replayability and AMAZING modding community that pull off better mods than no expansion can top, there is no way you can pull it off using the same mechanics as every other MMO out there.

If there was a MMO that i was so eager to play  it was the TES mmo, but now they are releasing a generic crap with looks and names pretending to be a TES game. 

I dare you to name 1 freaking game franchise that comes close to TES in the RPG genre. There are better games, but none so epic and so open as TES. 

So yeah... TESO will be just like LOTRO, they will pack a pickle with chocolate wrappings. But hey you can still enjoy your pickle.

Very well said. I couldnt agree more.

One thing that is consistant in a discussion about TESO is that people keep bringing up DAOC.

DAOC had RvR, Realms, Faction Locked Zones, Classes, etc. Great. So what? I dont care what DAOC has.

This isnt Camelot. This. Is. TAMRIEL!

I dont care if there are similarities or if you can tweak and rework the Lore to make it work and fit together.

This is Elder Scrolls which is a unique and ORIGINAL IP. All on its own.

To change it in any way shape or form is doing it an injustice.

Especially as a base to remake/relaunch a 10 year old game that, in its heyday, was popular with only about 250k gamers.

An Elder Scrolls MMO shouldnt "remind me" of things done in DAOC, or WOW or GW2 or any other game.

An Elder Scrolls MMO should break new ground. Be a true "Next Generation" MMORPG. One that evolves the genre.

Not just rehashes the same old thing done over the last decade.

How are they changing anything with the lore? It takes place in a different time than any other TES game so since it's their IP, they can do what they want with it. The injustice you may see is only your opinion on what the setting should be like, but you aren't a developer for the game so it makes no sense in complaining about setting. As for DAoC, 250k subs at that time was pretty high and the mix of PvP and PvE helped it cater to a more broad crowd. EQ1 was for PvEers, AC2 and DAoC were for both. So, if TESO wants to take notes from systems that DAoC had, then that should be praised and not looked down upon, in my opinion.

I'm keeping my eye on the game and although I have my reservations about it, I can only hope they make it at least feel like an Elder Scrolls MMO instead of an Elder Scrolls with co-op slapped on. There are some things that have been revealed that I'm not too happy about, but if that's what they choose to do, it's their place to do so and I'll either have to suck it up and play or find a different MMO to mess around in.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

If it's going to fail it will be 3 things.

No seamless world

bad combat system

Not beeing deep known as carebearism

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Maybe its just me but a remake of DAoC pvp seems kinda blah. Ya back in the day it was fun even though  it wasnt that popular of a game. 

My hopes are still on WoD a mmo like EVE but on the ground that is the kind of pvp i want. But hell knowing mmo devs track record the second game they make will be a complete $h!ty 180 of the first one. What the hell were they thinking with WAR and AC2 and EQ2 etc...

I dont get why some are hyped about another game with a cheesy pvp zone. Didnt SWToR have a pvp zone with quest in it. Its not the first time devs try to pass "end game" off as a pvp zone with quest sprinkled around it.    Woot three premaid factions of strangers fighting over a quest hub or generic dungeon for 2 to 3 years sounds uuuuubbbbbeeeerrrrr ffffffuuuunnnnn //sarcasm

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

it won't become the biggest mmorpg around because, imo, its not a TES game at all. 

You can dress a mmo with the setting you so desire but if you have a strong game series focused on freedom of choice, seamsless open world, deep character progression, insane replayability and AMAZING modding community that pull off better mods than no expansion can top, there is no way you can pull it off using the same mechanics as every other MMO out there.

If there was a MMO that i was so eager to play  it was the TES mmo, but now they are releasing a generic crap with looks and names pretending to be a TES game. 

I dare you to name 1 freaking game franchise that comes close to TES in the RPG genre. There are better games, but none so epic and so open as TES. 

So yeah... TESO will be just like LOTRO, they will pack a pickle with chocolate wrappings. But hey you can still enjoy your pickle.

One thing that is consistant in a discussion about TESO is that people keep bringing up DAOC.

DAOC had RvR, Realms, Faction Locked Zones, Classes, etc. Great. So what? I dont care what DAOC has.

I dont care if there are similarities or if you can tweak and rework the Lore to make it work and fit together.

Especially as a base to remake/relaunch a 10 year old game that, in its heyday, was popular with only about 250k gamers.

An Elder Scrolls MMO shouldnt "remind me" of things done in DAOC, or WOW or GW2 or any other game.

An Elder Scrolls MMO should break new ground. Be a true "Next Generation" MMORPG. One that evolves the genre.

Lets see if you understand some basic concept here

Does it have "The Elder Scrolls" as part of the name? Yes. Then it is a TES game. I dont really care if you like it or not, if you play it or not, you prolly feel the same about me, but... the fact that you like it or not doesnt really mean that it isnt a TES game just because it doesnt fit YOUR idea of a "TES game". Is WoW a Warcraft game? Yes. Does it seem anything like the other warcrafts? No. Is it still a Warcraft game? Yes.

As much as it pains me, the Cayenne is a Porsche - it doesnt fit MY IDEA of a Porsche, but it is!

Again for the ADD crowd: Does it have "Elder Scrolls" as part of the name? Yes? Then it is a "TES" game.

Thanks

I guess you understood our point but is playing the dumb card. 

They will release it as a TES game, so itll be a TES game. At least for history purpose. 

We are talking about the gaming experience. With the features announced and the info we have i can surely say this game is no "TES game".  Just another generic crap mmo, it might turn out a good game, but its aimed to be a generic crap. 

A TES mmo deserved better.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    What?!  You mean playing the same phased landscape over and over at endgame won't keep players' attention for years to come?  Nonsense!  Nonsense, I say! 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Because it's another contrived themepark.

/thread

enter the "hipster trendy sandbox police". Sure... it will fail because its not "sandbox"... as you've seen, sandbox games have had TREMENDOUS success... lol

Yes I do hope that TESO will appeal to Darkfall / DAoC fans (actually DAoC players know how to pvp and like to pve as well) and leave all WoW carebears outside of it - yep thats my most sincere hope regarding TESO.

But... then again, how is that a bad thing?

I'd take the time to sit here and explain (again) why there aren't any sandboxes on the market today, and why there are about 20 of them coming in 2013 and 2014, but something tells me the pure obviousness of it all would slip right by you.  I'd get into the market trends over the past eight years, something I have watched closely as a business man, but I don't want to bore you with "facts" when you are clearly stoked to live in imagination land.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Yes I do hope that TESO will appeal to Darkfall / DAoC fans (actually DAoC players know how to pvp and like to pve as well) and leave all WoW carebears outside of it - yep thats my most sincere hope regarding TESO.

DaoC was the first game to try to make PvP for Carebears and seeing as how easy it was to roll over the other realms on the server my guild was on...its blatantly obvious. People who had their first taste of PvP in DaoC wouldnt know real PvP if they suddenly found themselves at a rez point before they realized WTF just happened to them. DaoC = zerg PvP that requires little skill from the individual and THAT is why guilds from previous PvP games dominated their servers...individual skilled players, playing as a group in a game made to force grouped PvP...worse yet, CC heavy PvP. DaoC made it all too easy to control everything, get 3-5 skilled PvP vets and watch them stop a large group of carebears that believe they know what PvP is all about while you take your medium sized group and take control of areas that require 50+ mouthbreathers to take. BTW, anyone targetting players of an old game that never topped 400k players at its peak is just asking for a whole lot of fail unless they go with F2P/B2P right from the start.

Good post here ....most folks try and use Daoc as a badge of honour while looking back through rose tinted glasses where time has smoothed all the rough edges

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by jtcgs

DaoC was the first game to try to make PvP for Carebears and seeing as how easy it was to roll over the other realms on the server my guild was on...its blatantly obvious. People who had their first taste of PvP in DaoC wouldnt know real PvP if they suddenly found themselves at a rez point before they realized WTF just happened to them. DaoC = zerg PvP that requires little skill from the individual and THAT is why guilds from previous PvP games dominated their servers...individual skilled players, playing as a group in a game made to force grouped PvP...worse yet, CC heavy PvP. DaoC made it all too easy to control everything, get 3-5 skilled PvP vets and watch them stop a large group of carebears that believe they know what PvP is all about while you take your medium sized group and take control of areas that require 50+ mouthbreathers to take. BTW, anyone targetting players of an old game that never topped 400k players at its peak is just asking for a whole lot of fail unless they go with F2P/B2P right from the start.

Good post here ....most folks try and use Daoc as a badge of honour while looking back through rose tinted glasses where time has smoothed all the rough edges

Yea... time does pass and let you see things in a different way, you get to keep the memories of what was good and since nothing bad was left, you actually think that was all good... because its your memory...

Wait... whats that on my desktop? Oh my god...! Its the shortcut to Dark Age of Camelot... and still with an active account! Oh wow...

Please do tell me about those rough edges that I seem to have forgotten since.... last night.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Does it have "The Elder Scrolls" as part of the name? Yes. Then it is a TES game. I dont really care if you like it or not, if you play it or not, you prolly feel the same about me, but... the fact that you like it or not doesnt really mean that it isnt a TES game just because it doesnt fit YOUR idea of a "TES game". Is WoW a Warcraft game? Yes. Does it seem anything like the other warcrafts? No. Is it still a Warcraft game? Yes.

As much as it pains me, the Cayenne is a Porsche - it doesnt fit MY IDEA of a Porsche, but it is!

Again for the ADD crowd: Does it have "Elder Scrolls" as part of the name? Yes? Then it is a "TES" game.

Thanks

You obviously do care a great deal otherwise you wouldnt have replied to me by quoting and then telling me how much you "dont care"

And I doubt Ill be needing any basic concept understanding help from someone who uses the word "prolly" in a sentence when trying to simulate an intelligent argument.

Having TES in the title just makes it a TES game in name only.

You can roll a turd in candy sprinkles but it still isnt a party treat

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it already has more likes on facebook than GW2.  just sayin'. 

Thanks

You obviously do care a great deal otherwise you wouldnt have replied to me by quoting and then telling me how much you "dont care"

And I doubt Ill be needing any basic concept understanding help from someone who uses the word "prolly" in a sentence when trying to simulate an intelligent argument.

Having TES in the title just makes it a TES game in name only.

You can roll a turd in candy sprinkles but it still isnt a party treat

I was talking about the game, not you. I dont care if you like it - the game - It still is a TES game.

Put it even in more simple terms - it doesnt matter if I like it, or what do I think of it, if it is a TES game or not - as long as it has TES on the name, its a TES game.

It was not about you - people are really sensitive these days lol... Actually its not about you, me or anyone else but Zenimax and Bethesda - if they say its a TES game, it is a TES game. Like that stupid Porsche Cayenne. Porsche says its a Porsche although I cant look at it as a Porsche - but is still a Porsche.

Got it?... maybe it was confusing...

Originally posted by muffins89

Thats prolly cause you can "unlike" after you taste the crap fest... lol... just sayin' :)

hehe

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

I am well versed in TES lore and have played all the games to death.

There really is no particular problem with calling the Dwemer, 'Dwarves'.

They are referred to as such in books found in TES games.

They are referred to as such by TES NPCs.

They built cities and armour etc. that had all the hallmarks of more traditional fantasy Dwarves with a dash of steampunk thrown in.

They lived underground and were great miners, smiths and architects - now which fantasy race does that remind me of, hmmm...

It is a litlt ridiculous to get hung up on the fact they were a race of Elves that acted JUST LIKE Dwarves for no better reason than putting people down and buffing your lore skillz till they outshine everyone elses (at least from one person's perspective eh!?).

Now lets let it go and talk about something constructive.

Well Elder Scrolls Dwemer or Dwarves were human sized i.e. same size as Dwarves.  The reason why certain elemts of lore talk of them a being is small is becasue they first to encounter them were giants.  But yea another name given to them by the new races of Nirn are Dwarves.

directly from the wiki:

Biology

The Dwemer are often referred to as "Dwarves" in western cultures, although they were no shorter than a human and the name seems to have been derived from a supposed encounter with giants who saw the Dwemer as short.

Those books ( author unknown)  were written out of passion for whatever sect, race,  that author was connected too.  There is biased shit in every book you read in the game.(s) It IS NOT FACT.   

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Because it's another contrived themepark.

/thread

enter the "hipster trendy sandbox police". Sure... it will fail because its not "sandbox"... as you've seen, sandbox games have had TREMENDOUS success... lol

But... then again, how is that a bad thing?

Its a bad thing because you need the carebears money to keep your game solvent.

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I believe I have read somewhere they wanted the game to be playable in many ways, from the solo to the group pve centered to the pvper and so on. I did not have the idea till now that pve oriented folks would be forced to engage pvp to access that type of enviroment, though that Q&A that was presented by the OP sure does suggest it. In any case too early to draw a final conclusion. Maybe the megaserver "playerstyle mode" (for lack of better words) could help with this or maybe Cydoril will not have what people call end game pve content but raher pvp centric quests and some side content, like contested bosses in the form of public dungeons.
  • FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Hype doesn't neccessarily have to correlate with the quality and success of the end product.

I wonder how many TES players that are used to an immersive single player PvE experience will eventually be disappointed with the PvP centered multiplayer TESO.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Findariel

Hype doesn't neccessarily have to correlate with the quality and success of the end product.

I wonder how many TES players that are used to an immersive single player PvE experience will eventually be disappointed with the PvP centered multiplayer TESO.

It really doesn't correlate, SWTOR currently have 2.1 millions likes on Facebooks. The last sales number of SWTOR before it turned F2P was around 2 millions copies.

GW2 sales are over 3 millions after 6 months...