Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Yawn Fest

I'm not sure where the love for GW2 comes from, but I'm going to give my 2 cents of the game after getting 80 multiple times, dungeon running, crafting, world PVP and more.

Guild Wars 2 had a great deal of potential. It has beautiful artwork and great concepts to stem from. They had ability to tell a story to engage the player and do wonders for immersion, but it just seems undone.

First, there is no Guild Wars in Guild Wars 2. You don't fight other guilds, so you might as well just called it "Fantasy Land". You have no guild bases, so there is no rading of guilds, you can't even duel in the game.

The quest system of running around and exploring engaged me right away. Do a heart and get experience and rewards, seems great! At about level 40 you really never want to see another heart again, ever. They are no longer enjoyable and become even more repetitive than a normal quest system, because at least in a normal quest system you can follow a story.

The level capping so you can do whatever content you wish seemed like a great idea to play with friends when I'm lower level, but then I realized every zone I run through all the enemies want to kick my ass the same. This made me question the whole concept of leveling to 80! What was the point when at 80 all the level 30 content is near as powerful.

Realm vs Realm was annoying. Essentially it was Zerg vs Zerg, and PVPers know what I'm talking about. Bigger zerg pretty much always wins, and tactics are nowhere to be found. You sit beating on keep walls and doors for entirely too long and hope nobody kicks your ass while you do. It felt very much like the late Warhammer Fantasy MMO (RIP) which was dry in that regard. Only difference is you can setup seige equipment anywhere and it's a little more effective. It's also required for seige breaking. Yet the gameplay offered nothing over this. People sit on walls, shoot down at you, pour oil, you beat on keeps, kill keep lord, and it's yours.

The lack of class roles and variation is literally the most annoying part of the game and when you run a Dungeon this is where it becomes clear. Dungeons are sooooo much chaos due to this idea. A person pulls aggro and can't really take the damage so you end up getting knocked on your butt, pulled up, constantly running in circles and what not while your party attacks and waits their turn to do the same.

I could go on, the gear management and longevity are lacking as well. Especially when getting top gear takes a week.

Overall, lots of potential, but the devs don't seem to want to interact with the player base too much to get feedback and change things.

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Opinion filed with others in over-stuffed cabinet! :)

Thank you!

edit: also, if you have multiple 80s you need to read the lore associated with the game next time. Read up on why the game is called Guild Wars. It might be more fun if you understand the world you are playing in rather than just going around bashing things to level! :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

You, like many of us, have graduated from "themepark" to "something else".   Themeparks are basically all the same once you play for a bit, and it's no longer enough for a lot of people.

I suggest you start playing / following some of the many hybrids and sandbox games coming down the line for 2013 /  2014.  Things are about to change in this market.  I've been waiting about seven years for this change, and it's finally coming.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RevenantBobRevenantBob Member Posts: 3
    I am waiting for Archeage so badly. As "Anime-ish" as it seems, at least somebody thought to themselves "Maybe people want to be actual pirates and run around raiding cities?"
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

You, like many of us, have graduated from "themepark" to "something else".   Themeparks are basically all the same once you play for a bit, and it's no longer enough for a lot of people.

I suggest you start playing / following some of the many hybrids and sandbox games coming down the line for 2013 /  2014.  Things are about to change in this market.  I've been waiting about seven years for this change, and it's finally coming.

No many of us just want a game that delivers endgame content worthy of months & years of play time.  Plus the deep character progression systems that games of yesteryear had.  Has nothing to do with Themepark vs sandbox especially considering sandboxes are a niche endeavor and players who prfer themeparks greatly outnumber sandbox fans at least 10 to 1.

I still like GW2 but it does not have the 2 things I look forward to in an MMO and as such my play sessions have dwindled to once or twice a week for an hour or 2.  Those 2 things?  Deep Character progression and Endgame content worth sticking around for or at least worthy of repeating.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    @OP, I agree with you completely.  Thanks for the post.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by RevenantBob

I could go on, the gear management and longevity are lacking as well. Especially when getting top gear takes a week.

Actually the top gear is ascended and if you calculate what you will need to gear your toon with that system it will take about 10-16 months. Just wanted to make a minor correction there. Carry on.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    First of all, OP - welcome to the website and creating your first thread.  I'm glad you're enjoying Neverwinter and I hope it brings you what GW2 could not.  GW2 certainly isn't for everybody and I disagree that it's a yawn fest.  I'm still loving GW2, but hey - I'm just one person.  There wasn't a criticism in your post that hasn't already been hashed out dozens of times so it makes sense that you would notice them too in your first hand experience with the game, which your post is surely based upon.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

OP try to play a toon with "map completion" turned Off in your map (icon is found at lower left corner)

Game is A LOT more interesting with the handholding off ;) It plays a lot more like an open world like Skyrim...like

Try it & let me know how it feels ^^

BTW Wellcome on the forums :)

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

No many of us just want a game that delivers endgame content worthy of months & years of play time.  Plus the deep character progression systems that games of yesteryear had.  Has nothing to do with Themepark vs sandbox especially considering sandboxes are a niche endeavor and players who prfer themeparks greatly outnumber sandbox fans at least 10 to 1.

Considering that themeparks out number sandboxes 20 to 1 while at the same time there hasn't been a AAA Sandbox since SWG. If there aren't any quality sandbox games available, it will be quite hard to generate fans. IMHO the great majority of players haven't even experienced a sandbox MMO so they in a way live in ignorant bliss.

My prediciton is that TESO will hit, peeps will be dissapointed yet again and burn out in mere months but this time around they will have a sandbox to try as an alternative (Archeage). Once some of these player get to experience what a sandbox really is, they wont want to go back to themeparks.

• smurfmasterxsmurfmasterx Member Posts: 9
    This game single-handedly brought about the term "Thempark," which I can tell you is not in anyway a compliment.
  • XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Zzad

OP try to play a toon with "map completion" turned Off in your map (icon is found at lower left corner)

Game is A LOT more interesting with the handholding off ;) It plays a lot more like an open world like Skyrim...like

Yeah, tried to do this as well...but it's nothing near Skyrim's experience. You roam around without markers and in just 15 minutes you end up in a zone that is 10+ levels above you. Yes, because GW2 is absolutely not like Skyrim. It's still plagued by the same "WOW LIKE" zones restricted by level range. You have to complete a zone / levelup before you can take the portal to the next. Now of course you can always visit zones from other races, no offense but it's nothing like what you are trying to describe...not an "open world experience like Skyrim"

I agree with OP about the hearts system...in the end they just replaced the " ! " over NPC's head by " Heart " symbols and althought you don't have to speak to the actual NPC to get the quest and get the reward, you're still spending your time chaining these. I really miss side activities in this game...like, Fishing for example?

Crafting is awesome tho (really liked it and the fact you can level up crafting things)

• strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48

I agree with OP.

GW2 is like a nasty poo in a gift wrap. Looks nice at first, but when you open it, brain of the devs starts to smell and all you want to do is to smash it into the ground.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by smurfmasterx
    This game single-handedly brought about the term "Thempark," which I can tell you is not in anyway a compliment.

What?  No it didn't.  Read up on your facts buddy.

Anyway, GW2 has kept me busy for almost an entire year now, which people said it wouldn't, and everyone I was in beta with is still logging in to try out the new content.  The game to me has been far and away beyond value for the price I paid so many months ago, more value than I've ever gotten out of any game in probably 20 years.  If you don't like it, that's cool, personally I think they succeeded in doing something fresh and I, among others, needed a break from the same old same old.  I won't play GW2 forever (though its content updates have been generally well-received), and I'm actually looking forward to the so-called sandboxes and hybrids, so here's to the future of all the games we enjoy.

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth
    @OP, I agree with you completely.  Thanks for the post.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I started playing again a couple of days ago. I am struck by how this game routinely puts you in one of two situations in combat: 100% safe or 100% dead. All within about 1 second.

The TTK is extremely fast and I think that is why it feels so zergy. They should have just brought the damage dynamic down for both players and monsters, by maybe 40% or so.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Elfahiar

Yeah, tried to do this as well...but it's nothing near Skyrim's experience. You roam around without markers and in just 15 minutes you end up in a zone that is 10+ levels above you. Yes, because GW2 is absolutely not like Skyrim. It's still plagued by the same "WOW LIKE" zones restricted by level range. You have to complete a zone / levelup before you can take the portal to the next. Now of course you can always visit zones from other races, no offense but it's nothing like what you are trying to describe...not an "open world experience like Skyrim"

I agree with OP about the hearts system...in the end they just replaced the " ! " over NPC's head by " Heart " symbols and althought you don't have to speak to the actual NPC to get the quest and get the reward, you're still spending your time chaining these. I really miss side activities in this game...like, Fishing for example?

Crafting is awesome tho (really liked it and the fact you can level up crafting things)

This is where a level cap of 20 would have been beneficial. After the starter zone, every zone you could go to would be 'end-game' and built for max level.

Instead we got more unnecessary middle level tiers that are vacant of people.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by strellok

GW2 is like a nasty poo in a gift wrap. Looks nice at first, but when you open it, brain of the devs starts to smell and all you want to do is to smash it into the ground.

Agreed!!!

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by stayBlind
    Originally posted by Elfahiar

This is where a level cap of 20 would have been beneficial. After the starter zone, every zone you could go to would be 'end-game' and built for max level.

Instead we got more unnecessary middle level tiers that are vacant of people.

I soo agree with that statement...

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I started playing again a couple of days ago. I am struck by how this game routinely puts you in one of two situations in combat: 100% safe or 100% dead. All within about 1 second.

The TTK is extremely fast and I think that is why it feels so zergy. They should have just brought the damage dynamic down for both players and monsters, by maybe 40% or so.

Depends on if you're a noob or not. Learn to play the game before you start to say it's either instant death or instant win. I don't know what class you play, what weapons you use, utility skills and traits and what stats on gear but i think it's pretty safe to say you're a noob.

I was a noob in GW2 once as well but i played the game for months and slowly adapted to this new playstyle and learned how it worked. ArenaNet have done a lot of fixes to the game which enhances the experience in GW2, it plays a lot better now than it did at launch but it's laso because i've adapted to the game.

In GW2 you have to think about movement a lot, about boons and conditions, weapon swap. What can i do to avoid damage? What can i do to do damage? What can i do to support my allies? What can i do to get out of this situation? etc

Edit: I agree about levels and how at low level you're restricted on what zones you can go to without getting 1 shotted.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I'm not sure where the love for GW2 comes from, but I'm going to give my 2 cents of the game after getting 80 multiple times, dungeon running, crafting, world PVP and more.

Guild Wars 2 had a great deal of potential. It has beautiful artwork and great concepts to stem from. They had ability to tell a story to engage the player and do wonders for immersion, but it just seems undone.

First, there is no Guild Wars in Guild Wars 2. You don't fight other guilds, so you might as well just called it "Fantasy Land". You have no guild bases, so there is no rading of guilds, you can't even duel in the game.

The quest system of running around and exploring engaged me right away. Do a heart and get experience and rewards, seems great! At about level 40 you really never want to see another heart again, ever. They are no longer enjoyable and become even more repetitive than a normal quest system, because at least in a normal quest system you can follow a story.

The level capping so you can do whatever content you wish seemed like a great idea to play with friends when I'm lower level, but then I realized every zone I run through all the enemies want to kick my ass the same. This made me question the whole concept of leveling to 80! What was the point when at 80 all the level 30 content is near as powerful.

Realm vs Realm was annoying. Essentially it was Zerg vs Zerg, and PVPers know what I'm talking about. Bigger zerg pretty much always wins, and tactics are nowhere to be found. You sit beating on keep walls and doors for entirely too long and hope nobody kicks your ass while you do. It felt very much like the late Warhammer Fantasy MMO (RIP) which was dry in that regard. Only difference is you can setup seige equipment anywhere and it's a little more effective. It's also required for seige breaking. Yet the gameplay offered nothing over this. People sit on walls, shoot down at you, pour oil, you beat on keeps, kill keep lord, and it's yours.

The lack of class roles and variation is literally the most annoying part of the game and when you run a Dungeon this is where it becomes clear. Dungeons are sooooo much chaos due to this idea. A person pulls aggro and can't really take the damage so you end up getting knocked on your butt, pulled up, constantly running in circles and what not while your party attacks and waits their turn to do the same.

Overall, lots of potential, but the devs don't seem to want to interact with the player base too much to get feedback and change things.

First - it is called Guild Wars BECAUSE the world was shaped by 'Guild Wars'. If you ACTAULLY took time to read the lore you might actually know that.

There is variation in class roles but not as in the Trinity which you seem to be enamored of.

The developers do interact but they also collect data and base much on that. Unlike Rift which seemed to follow every whine from the players.

• Ic3CroWIc3CroW Member Posts: 11
  • hakiredhakired Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 30
    I am waiting for Archeage so badly. As "Anime-ish" as it seems, at least somebody thought to themselves "Maybe people want to be actual pirates and run around raiding cities?"

Man I'm so excited for this game as well!!! I'm a big one piece fan and would love to be a real Pirate. DROOOOLLL.

I'll get my Nakama with me and Find the One Piece and I'll be the PIrate King and use Conqueror's Haki

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by smurfmasterx

I have to agree. Who the hell wants to be in a "Thempark" when we can enjoy ourselves in the "Us-park".

@OP: Hope you will find what you are looking for in Archeage. Completely different design and audience - I wonder why you even bought GW2 in the first place?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I think people on this board would whine about any game. Even the ones that game them everything they want.

These are not forums, they are whine fests.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by botrytis

I think people on this board would whine about any game. Even the ones that game them everything they want.

These are not forums, they are whine fests.

after being on these forums for a few years i am coming to the same conclusion.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

This discussion has been closed.