Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did they make this game ?

UO was already out there.My understanding is this version is a reiteration of what the game used to be.So why make it ?

Comments

• couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

UO was already out there.My understanding is this version is a reiteration of what the game used to be.So why make it ?

Judging by what has been released about the game thus far, it is nothing like Ultima Online. Another key point to your post is "game used to be", EA Games ruined UO with Trammel, and every expansion following. They added item insurance, neon weapons, stupid "classes" etc. I don't think anyone who played UO in the early days would even touch the newer versions of UO, I know I sure wouldn't.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    It seems more like what Ultima X was going to be. Ultima IV with Online elements?.  Anyways, I will try it cuz it's an iPad chewing gum remake of my favorite game ever...Ultima IV. I have no expectations of greatness..just pure curiosity.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's some sort of continuation or remake of orignal classics, made by peoople who were never involved in the success of the level of creativity that went into those classics.

Original game = Origin Systems, Inc .. New Game = Electronic Arts.

The mastermind behind the Ultima creativity was Richard Garriott, but he was fired a few years after EA bought Origin Systems in 1992.  It's EA policy to fire / force to resign original developers after they acquire a company (see Mythic, or BioWare + dozen other EA acquirisions).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• thorsanvilthorsanvil Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by couponfork

Judging by what has been released about the game thus far, it is nothing like Ultima Online. Another key point to your post is "game used to be", EA Games ruined UO with Trammel, and every expansion following. They added item insurance, neon weapons, stupid "classes" etc. I don't think anyone who played UO in the early days would even touch the newer versions of UO, I know I sure wouldn't.

UO ruined by Trammel? please Trammel was an awsome idea, the only people hated Trammel where the people who hovered on the fringes attacking people who wanted to play the game.   PVP was so bad in this game, it stunk.

The only thing that ruined UO, is Time and EA,  I guess they believed that UO would just last for ever. so they shit canned UO2.

Maybe it was leading edge, and too much for the hardware, but they would be soo much further ahead if they hadnt killed it.

ZOMG

NO Way!

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    I presume because they, like any other business, are in the business of making money and they think that this will make money.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Why did they make this game ?

Because EA want to make money (and juice yet another IP). Duh. :P

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Because EA wants to rape the corpse of the franchise they killed. It's not enough that they drove a dagger through its heart with shit like Ultima 8 & 9, no, they need to desecrate the remains and spit on old-school fans of the franchise as well.

I swear if I ever run across the person responsible for this atrocity they'll be shitting their own teeth for a goddamn week. Virtue points? VIRTUE POINTS? AIRSHIPS? LADY BRITISH? God damn it EA I hope your HQ gets flooded with raw sewage.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by thorsanvil

UO ruined by Trammel? please Trammel was an awsome idea, the only people hated Trammel where the people who hovered on the fringes attacking people who wanted to play the game.   PVP was so bad in this game, it stunk.

The only thing that ruined UO, is Time and EA,  I guess they believed that UO would just last for ever. so they shit canned UO2.

Maybe it was leading edge, and too much for the hardware, but they would be soo much further ahead if they hadnt killed it.

Trammel was a virtual world breaking disaster. I wasn't the ganker or hardcore pvper, and I know for a fact that UO pvp'ers weren't as bad as people say. Sure you got caught now and then, but that was an added element of surprise. I guess you just like your games to be predictable and bland.... 

Either way, PvP in the original was easy to avoid.

Damn you trammies... damn you all to hell!

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Without Trammel, UO would have died long ago. The reason why they added it is because of the massive player bleeding due to the non stop ganking from the no life griefer kiddies.

Trammel saved the game, like it or not, it's the truth.

My computer is better than yours.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I swear if I ever run across the person responsible for this atrocity they'll be shitting their own teeth for a goddamn week. Virtue points? VIRTUE POINTS? AIRSHIPS? LADY BRITISH? God damn it EA I hope your HQ gets flooded with raw sewage.

You must be the person I see on TV all the time getting arrested for assaulting a fast food worker because he got your order wrong, since you somehow have the impression that physical violence is justified as a response to just about anything.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by thorsanvil

I hated trammel, and I was not a pvper. I was a miner, blacksmith guy who had a smith shop.

Trammel was the first part of what killed UO. They shouldn't have created it, and instead put in a system to curb the ever growing gank problem. But still if you were smart you could get away from PKs almost every time. All you had to do was hotkey recall, and have a rune ready to target. It was pretty easy.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's some sort of continuation or remake of orignal classics, made by peoople who were never involved in the success of the level of creativity that went into those classics.

The mastermind behind the Ultima creativity was Richard Garriott, but he was fired a few years after EA bought Origin Systems in 1992.  It's EA policy to fire / force to resign original developers after they acquire a company (see Mythic, or BioWare + dozen other EA acquirisions).

Actually it's rather a policy to fire or force to leave ppl that think differently (aka don't want to make a quick cash products). Unfortunately it doesn't seem that RG falls under this category as he left recently (he was one of those dudeds involved in WAR). But in general I agree. Simply following publisher commands is never a good thing for development of any kind of software. Always fails.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Actually we discussed this years ago on this forum.

figures shows uo was bleeding badly customers prior to trammel but actually grew for a few years post trammel.

you can argue that from a personal view trammel was bad but it actually probably saved uo from been a ghost town and is simply alive now due to this.

also the same  people who like to player kill would have left too if there was too few to player kill.

remember shadwbane anyone?

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

Trammel straight up ruined ultima online I remember the day they created it and I started a forum war where I called all the trammy's carebears...  Well that term sure has spread since I used it to belittle trammelites!!!

Also Shadowbane was a great game one of my top 5 games

Ultima Online Pre Trammel

SWG Pre NGE

Shadowbane

Atlantica Online before they took away item drop and KJ...

Wurm Online in its current version one of the few games that's getting better each year

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    This is the part where I would normally chime in "UO copied WoW" but I am above that and will not do it this time.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    EA... stahp, just stahpit!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by alterfenix
    Originally posted by Karteli

Actually it's rather a policy to fire or force to leave ppl that think differently (aka don't want to make a quick cash products). Unfortunately it doesn't seem that RG falls under this category as he left recently (he was one of those dudeds involved in WAR). But in general I agree. Simply following publisher commands is never a good thing for development of any kind of software. Always fails.

No he wasn't..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson