Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not allowed to say anything negative or you will get a warning

Comments

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Anyone who so much as remotely even agrees with the OP will be getting a warning.

I agree with the OP. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    I found that out my first day here. Never criticize GW2 on this site for sure, it's like asking for butthurt people to report you. Age of Paytowinshu is another. Fans can be rabid anywhere, it's not just MMORPG.com, it just happens more often here because I think the warnings are issued without an actual human looking at the complaint.

What are you talking about? There are more threads about, 'GW2 is dying or dead' or my favorite 'GW2 sux' than almost anything else on this forum.

I thnk you need another forum - this one is not for you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I found that out my first day here. Never criticize GW2 on this site for sure, it's like asking for butthurt people to report you. Age of Paytowinshu is another. Fans can be rabid anywhere, it's not just MMORPG.com, it just happens more often here because I think the warnings are issued without an actual human looking at the complaint.

You have to admit, though, with AoW it has become ridiculous to the point of amusing. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The moderation is awful on these forums.

You pretty much get instantly warned for every single report on your posts.

If you try to contact the mods about the warnings they will only send you an automated reply and completely ignore any appeals.

I received multiple warnings from my GW2 posts when I stated the downfalls of the game (which turned out to be true).

Best move on these forums is to report everyone who disagrees with out instead of trying to make a proper discussion. If your report goes through they won't post their opinions for awhile, if you try to make them realize how wrong they are you only get warned for flaming.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

If you try to contact the mods about the warnings they will only send you an automated reply and completely ignore any appeals.

I received multiple warnings from my GW2 posts when I stated the downfalls of the game (which turned out to be true).

Best move on these forums is to report everyone who disagrees with out instead of trying to make a proper discussion. If your report goes through they won't post their opinions for awhile, if you try to make them realize how wrong they are you only get warned for flaming.

I agree with this entirely.  I don't even think the reports are checked by a human, and there are people on here who just click report everytime someone disagrees with them.  

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Surprised this thread has stayed open as long as it has...

I agree the moderation on this forum is absolutely biased towards the advertisers. And they do seem to send a warning for every report button click regardless of whether or not there were any 'official house rules' being broken. Sadly, this site is a business, so thems the breaks. Don't expect fair moderation here.  

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    I'll never say anything bad about GW2 again. Don't do it. Just don't. Bad things will happen

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Your mistake is going through mods, MikeB is the person to contact, and for me he has always been a stand-up guy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by botrytis

What are you talking about? There are more threads about, 'GW2 is dying or dead' or my favorite 'GW2 sux' than almost anything else on this forum.

And I would say you need another forum for worshipping the ground GW2 walks on, and getting upset anytime someone says something bad about it. Amazing how 2 people can have different opinions. This crazy crazy world.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

You can say what you want just suffer the consequences of their rules. Remember it is their rules dictating what you can post. In the beginning we where allowed to tell tell the truth and this site was famous for true review of games and rates that where backed by the gamer. Not anymore they now use lawyers to keep the truth from coming out.

We need to demand standardization on gaming companies and regulation on their releases.

I will tell you right now a real company with real pride in their product, yes pride is something of the past, would release every single game with no cost for two weeks than you pay if the product meets what you want in a game. But no us stupid gamers keeping throwing money to receive nothing in returm.

Note nothing I said was bad but I will be banned again for saying it!

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

And I would say you need another forum for worshipping the ground GW2 walks on, and getting upset anytime someone says something bad about it. Amazing how 2 people can have different opinions. This crazy crazy world.

I have no problems with people of different opinions. I do have a problem with people who think their opinion is fact and should be taken as such.

Not a crazy world at all - crazy that people can't discuss things without going into 'This game SUX!' and name calling without any explanation or anything else. Declarative statements do not allow for a conversation to ensue. Try being less demonstrative and give more true explanations.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    But...I kind of liked Computer Graphics in the 1950's... :-(
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

I agree with this entirely.  I don't even think the reports are checked by a human, and there are people on here who just click report everytime someone disagrees with them.  

Naw, I've reported (what I considered at the time) blatant trolls or those instigating one-liner non-dicussion wonders who didn't get infracted.  But then again, when I look back at the flow of the conversation I find out why - because I was wrong.  So posts are checked by a human first :P  ie .. not every reported post gets infracted.

Don't believe me?  Next time you disagree with someone who speaks truth that you don't like to hear, even providing rationale and sources, report them.  100 credits in SWTOR says no action will be taken. :=D [caution though, not a nice thing to do against mods willy nilly .. save it for when you are really heated] .. if you do this enough times, you will get a ban yourself, hence proving humans read reports :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

Naw, I've reported (what I considered at the time) blatant trolls or those instigating one-liner non-dicussion wonders who didn't get infracted.  But then again, when I look back at the flow of the conversation I find out why - because I was wrong.  So posts are checked by a human first :P  ie .. not every reported post gets infracted.

Don't believe me?  Next time you disagree with someone who speaks truth that you don't like to hear, report them.  100 credits in SWTOR says no action will be taken. :=D [caution though, not a nice thing to do against mods]

I generally don't report people.  But I know on one occasion at least when I have been reported and received a warning that there is no way any reasonable person read the preceding messages.  Unfortunately since I am not allowed to discuss said warning I can't really 'prove' this.  

I have no problems with people of different opinions. I do have a problem with people who think their opinion is fact and should be taken as such.

Not a crazy world at all - crazy that people can't discuss things without going into 'This game SUX!' and name calling without any explanation or anything else. Declarative statements do not allow for a conversation to ensue. Try being less demonstrative and give more true explanations.

So it's okay to stifle opinions because they aren't fact? Makes sense. That's not why they are opinions. Every post I make nearly says IMO or it's my opinion that. You can look at my post history.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I used to think that they go over the top with giving warnings, bans and mod editing, too.

But nowadays i think that the selective deletion of posts without any further comment is much worse, as it creates a false impression of an ongoing discussion.

*edit: also watch you stars magically disappear for negative comments. LOL

Originally posted by Distopia

Your mistake is going through mods, MikeB is the person to contact, and for me he has always been a stand-up guy.

Agreed. MikeB is genuinely unbiased and he's equally straightforward. If it was a reasonable warning/ban, he'll explain why. If it was BS, he'll take care of it for you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    I don't understand what kind of negative we're talking about, here. I've been critical of so many games here over the last 7 years, most of them very popular, without any kind of warning, moderator editing, or deletion...

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Distopia

Agreed. MikeB is genuinely unbiased and he's equally straightforward. If it was a reasonable warning/ban, he'll explain why. If it was BS, he'll take care of it for you.

I'll +1 this, I believe he was the one that explained why I got a warning or two for me :)

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Volgore

I used to think that they go over the top with giving warnings, bans and mod editing, too.

But nowadays i think that the selective deletion of posts without any further comment is much worse, as it creates a false impression of an ongoing discussion.

I think it's a combination of a software limiation and a friendly gesture (a shoulder bump) - if you get another "warning" then that will be a ban.  So mods delete posts with no feedback, instead of sending feedback, which generates a warning..  My interpretation is they do this for valued forum posters, not for everyone.  If posts are just habitually foul, mystery deletions won't even happen, just a flat out ban.

If you are a good poster and you get some posts mysteriously vanishing .. it won't last forever, essentially.  But I do wish they would update their software to keep tabs on vanishing posts, all the same.  They seem to be just a reminder that "someone" likes you.  It was in the site suggestions some time ago as well.  Feedback would only help future posts, and such. (although having someone like you is warming).

edit - Posts also vanish without incident if they are in response to someone who got infracted and their post deleted.  Imagine if someone said "this game sucks < insert derogatory sexual preference here >", and 10 people responded.  Assuming the subsequent posts were just questioning the OP's position, without lowering themselves to the OP, they would just vanish, and the OP would get infracted.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

So it's okay to stifle opinions because they aren't fact? Makes sense. That's not why they are opinions. Every post I make nearly says IMO or it's my opinion that. You can look at my post history.

Now, wait aminute. :)

Here's three statements for you:

1. I'd rather pay a $15 sub than spend the average $28 per month on cash shops.
    2. You know, players spend an average of $28 per month on F2P games, instead of the $15 per month sub. Except you of course, I'm sure. I meant everyone else that plays F2P.
    3. I'd rather pay a $15 sub because it seems to me that it costs more to play free to play.

The third one is an opinion. The first two are not opinions. They are stating facts. Incorrect facts. Opinion and fact are two different things, but a lot of people here either don't seem to realize that or are incapable of accepting that. Worse, when presented with the truth, they will either argue they are correct or, worse, consider their statement valid because it's their opinion and opinions can't be wrong. At that point it isn't discussion, it's just being argumentative, and I have no problem with them being modded... repeatedly.

Originally posted by Volgore

Is this really how the stars work?  I have seen some five star's trolling repeatedly.  

2. You know, players spend an average of $28 per month on F2P games, instead of the $15 per month sub. Except you of course, I'm sure. I meant everyone else that plays F2P.
    3. I'd rather pay a $15 sub because it seems to me that it costs more to play free to play.

The third one is an opinion. The first two are not opinions. They are stating facts. Incorrect facts. Opinion and fact are two different things, but a lot of people here either don't seem to realize that or are incapable of accepting that. Worse, when presented with the truth, they will either argue they are correct or, worse, consider their statement valid because it's their opinion and opinions can't be wrong. At that point it isn't discussion, it's just being argumentative, and I have no problem with them being modded... repeatedly.

Haha strong points, but I think you may be digging too far with this one. This is going to go over nearly everyone's head you do realize? :p

Haha strong points, but I think you may be digging too far with this one. This is going to go over nearly everyone's head you do realize? :p

haha, nice way to ingratiate yourself with one person by insulting everyone else on the forums.  

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

OP......here is a mmorpg guidebook to help ease your way into the community.

1. Join the hivemind.
    2. Never voice opinions that are not widely accepted here.
    3. Post openly and freely, any statements, regardless of accuracy or basis in reality.
    4. Convince yourself that your 13 years of MMO experience qualifies you as a developer of MMO's.
    5. Never accept a developer's vision for his/her MMO. If you complain enough, game developer's may abandon thier game philosophy based solely on your expert suggestions. You certainly know better than they do.
    6. All MMO's suck.
    7. Enjoy your stay here.

This discussion has been closed.