Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundation Principle 3 is Up

2»

Comments

• DemerzelDemerzel Member Posts: 21
    Additional character slots is a great idea for cash shops. People will pay for it.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

I liked what i read.  Honestly if you want to make this game uber, just stick to the way DAOC was in its first 3 years.

No auction houses

No mounts or fast travel

15-30 minute wait period to get back to action if you die in rvr or pve

Long hard tough level up to 50

No instanced dungeons

I mean doesn't everyone remember to glory days of daoc before trials of atlantis.  I'm not saying make a pre-TOA clone, but stick to those awesome principles. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by redcapp

Sounds pretty good, although to be honest it is a little off-putting the way he blames / ridicules casual players for the way devs have dumbed down their games. 

He actually blames the management and shareholders. Of course the casual players were the one whining that they want an easier game, but it was the suits who said they should buckle and give into those whines.

• DemerzelDemerzel Member Posts: 21

Waiting time on death is great. Dying should be painfull.

The running side (aka Hib to emain) was a bit mouch thoug in the begginning of vanilla daoc..

unrelated note.. vanilla Thidranki was the most fun gaming experience, hands down, all categorys, ever.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm not an alt-a-holic, I tend to stick to one main and usually have an alt to craft something my main can't craft. In Daoc I had a healer and a shadowblade and on Albion side on a different server, I had a Friar and a theurgist. The limited respec never bothered me. There was always a "best spec" so you'd just farm for gold like crazy or do a raid to get a respec stone if the "best spec" changed. I never felt limited.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LedrirLedrir Member UncommonPosts: 69

I have no problem with making a game challenging but I fear Mark is in the same mindset that doomed DAoC.

When DAoC first came out some said it was EQ done right.  It was easier than EQ.  Quest rewards were shared in the whole group.  There were no corpse runs.  There were not incredibly long raids to go on or items to camp spawns for.  Then after release it seemed like every expansion was a step back towards EQ and making things as hard as EQ.

He is still being seduced by the hardcore gamers and the way they want the game.  When ToA came out I seem to remember it was even stated that not everyone was supposed to have artifacts but only a few players.  Well unfortunately people dont pay to play games where they get to be the punching bag of an elite few who have alot of free time on thier hands.

Many games have tiered levels of pvp where players can play against players in a somewhat equal environment.  DAoC had open frontiers and you could face very unpredictable opponents.  They might outnumber you, have better gear or abilites, be more skilled, etc...  (The unpredictability of DAoC rvr was actually a positive to me.)  However, there has to be a way for casual players to advance in pvp or you will have a very small niche game.  And from what I have seen, hardcore players will follow the crowd.  If a game loses its casual players the hardcore will soon leave as well.

Suggestions:

Do not put leveling in the game only have realm ranks.  This means the only difference between a new player and a veteran player is the gear, and realm rank of the player.  This means a new player would be like a new level 50 in the old DAoC.  The higher realm rank veterans would be more powerful but the new player could group with the vets and contribute.

Encourage grouping and community.  Have a realm point bonus given for each person in the group.  For example if there was a 5% bonus for each person in the group then a full group of 8 would have a 35% bonus to realm points earned.   Create many advantages to joining guilds and alliances and working together and holding and claiming keeps.  For me community is one of the most important aspects of an online game.

Have some form of pve in the frontiers like in DAoC.  Along with the monster camps, the Keeps also serve as pve.  As far as I know everyone loved Darkness Falls.  Having  a valuable dungeon open up to the realm which owned the most keeps was great.  Also let killing monsters give some realm points even if its only 1 point per kill or somethng.

Would it be possible to have a monster AI fight like an 8 man group?  What if there were roaming 8 man groups of npcs that used similar tactics as a human group would use.  This would make the pve much more fun if the monsters used crowd control and went after the most important player targets first and real players had to use smart tactics to beat the npcs.