Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Microsoft endangering the Longevity of MMO?

124»

Comments

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Windows will be around a long long time.  Pc's are not going anywhere.  Yes tablets will be up in sales as people start to have multi devices including phones.  but the desktops will alawys be there in some fashion.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    Originally posted by clamo

I don't see Microsoft killing the MMO as they are really trying to kill PC gaming and force it to remain on the consol.

they are doing this because they think that piracy is hurtting sales and that most people will not try and bother to hack there consol to play pireted games.

I got news for them and other game manufactures.......they are wrong.......I got no plans on buying a next gen console this time around. got no job do the shit ecco and I am selling just about ALL my current games to keep my as alive. and I know others are doing the same thing as ebay has hunders of games posted.

BUT if you really wan't to know what is gona kill the MMO........then here me well.......the pour game development, Hi subscription prices and the assholes that treat other players on the MMO's like shit is what's gona kill them off.

No, Microsoft is not trying to move gaming from PCs to consoles.  Microsoft offers both an open platform (Windows) and a closed platform (Xbox), with the idea that whatever game developers want, they can get it on a Microsoft platform.  Game developers choose one or the other (or both) for reasons of their own, and Microsoft doesn't try to force game developers to do things one way or another.  The economic reality that you need strong anti-piracy controls if you want to make money on a game but would rather not have Microsoft take a large cut of your revenue if you don't need their anti-piracy controls, on the other hand, does push game developers to prefer open or closed platforms, depending on the game they're making.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Developers can't build games for Linux until the ecosystem is ready for it.  That means quality first-party drivers, and a stable OS.  Right now, graphics drivers on Linux is a real mess for the gaming stuff.  As for the OS itself, the biggest problem is the fragmentation.  For a long time, it was looking like Ubuntu was really making some strides to creating a standard, reliable Linux distribution that was easy to use, and easy to setup.  It still is, but the recent shift of focus to the mobile industry means gaming and desktop experiences will take 2 steps back.

It's ironic, in a way.  If Ubuntu had just stuck with their plan, they'd have a very viable Linux OS ready for the rather large enterprise and consumer market that doesn't like where Windows is going (touch screens, tablets, mobile).  Instead, they are just doing the exact same thing as Microsoft...

For that reason, MMO's will continue to be primarily Windows experiences.  I do expect more MMO's to be developed for consoles, however.  At least in the first half of the next-gen cycle.

And to come full circle to the original question: I do believe Microsoft has killed the longevity of MMO's but not for any reason you mentioned.  It has to do with XBOX, and how the current console generation has dragged on for about 3 years too long.  Since games are being developed for them first, then ported to PC's, this has resulted in very little gaming innovation.  MMO's have been directly affected by this, since much of the technology behind them is "second-hand" tech passed down from other genres that are generally more innovative.  As a result, MMO's have been largely unchanged in the last 10 years, aside from graphics and payment models.

You make me like charity

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    Originally posted by asmkm22

And to come full circle to the original question: I do believe Microsoft has killed the longevity of MMO's but not for any reason you mentioned.  It has to do with XBOX, and how the current console generation has dragged on for about 3 years too long.  Since games are being developed for them first, then ported to PC's, this has resulted in very little gaming innovation.  MMO's have been directly affected by this, since much of the technology behind them is "second-hand" tech passed down from other genres that are generally more innovative.  As a result, MMO's have been largely unchanged in the last 10 years, aside from graphics and payment models.

That may be true of many single-player games, but very few MMOs are released for consoles at all.  If you're making an MMORPG that is going to be PC-only, then you don't care what hardware consoles have.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by asmkm22

That may be true of many single-player games, but very few MMOs are released for consoles at all.  If you're making an MMORPG that is going to be PC-only, then you don't care what hardware consoles have.

My point was that MMO's pretty much never innovate, from a technical standpoint.  They use innovations made in other genres, for stuff like streaming worldspaces.  Since those other genres have been crippled by 10 year old hardware specs, MMO's have aso suffered.

You make me like charity

• clamoclamo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by clamo

I don't see Microsoft killing the MMO as they are really trying to kill PC gaming and force it to remain on the consol.

they are doing this because they think that piracy is hurtting sales and that most people will not try and bother to hack there consol to play pireted games.

I got news for them and other game manufactures.......they are wrong.......I got no plans on buying a next gen console this time around. got no job do the shit ecco and I am selling just about ALL my current games to keep my as alive. and I know others are doing the same thing as ebay has hunders of games posted.

BUT if you really wan't to know what is gona kill the MMO........then here me well.......the pour game development, Hi subscription prices and the assholes that treat other players on the MMO's like shit is what's gona kill them off.

High subscription prices? I'm sorry but that's just flat out wrong. A majority of games have a F2P option now even if they are limited, and 15 dollars a month isn't a high price even working minimum wage. Poor game developement and asshole communities? That I will agree on.

Have you ever added $15 a month up for say 10 years? the game's them selvs are $60 and @ $15 permonth thats hi way robery. 15 and 15 = 30 bud after 4 months you have already payed bouble for a game. that JUST after 4 months. BTW the min wage IS NOT the same in every location. yours may be what $12 but in my neck of the woods there ONLY $7.25 that don't hack it for NOTHING.