Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: A New Hope

124»

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I was hoping they would do one of the many books that wasn't in a game.  I've read most of the Warcraft books, and I know I'll probably get flamed for it, but I liked them more than the LotR books...

Edit: Like the graphic novel by Walter Simonson

That's alright. Many people actually prefer McDonald's to a good steak.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Be cool to see Rise of the Litch King and Fall of the Litch King as movies. But I have a feeling it might be about some random war from ages ago and probly about the birth of The Horde.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    with Blizzard behind I'm pretty sure there's a very good chance we'll get something epic out
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I was hoping they would do one of the many books that wasn't in a game.  I've read most of the Warcraft books, and I know I'll probably get flamed for it, but I liked them more than the LotR books...

Edit: Like the graphic novel by Walter Simonson

That's alright. Many people actually prefer McDonald's to a good steak.

Never seen a poster lose so much credibility with such a short post! Well done tom_gore!

You cannot make that comparison when it comes to books.

You can't.

Food there is obvious differences in quality. Even saying "good steak" is highly subjective. Some will take no less than a Filet while others would consider a "good steak" to be a massive Texas-style T-Bone.

Liking or disliking a particular book is 100% subjective.

I agree with Gravarg. I've only read a couple of Warcraft books, but they were really quite good. I've read LOTR, Hobbit, I've read a lot of other "popular" fantasy that is more recent, Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time, etc.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Just another carrot on a stick for Blizzard... MoP is doing dismal, time to announce that there will be a Blizzcon this year and necro the rumor of a feature film... having a Blizzcon is easy, getting people to believe there is a movie in the works requires proof of some sort... hey, lets hire some director again, have him sign an non-disclosure agreement about there being no such movie?  They get paid for doing nothing, our fanbase thinks we've actually moved forward on the project, the game gets some free PR and maybe we'll sucker a few people into buying the game?  We've got nothing to lose at this point.

• KoolVirusKoolVirus Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I never played wow and I never liked it. But I've been waiting for blizzard to come out with a wow movie for a while. I wish it was animated by blizzard instead of live action but oh well. I hope it's good.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by KoolVirus
    I never played wow and I never liked it. But I've been waiting for blizzard to come out with a wow movie for a while. I wish it was animated by blizzard instead of live action but oh well. I hope it's good.

It just kills me when I see that statement.

It's like seeing some say "I never tried ice cream, it's too gross"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    I'm curious what the story will be.

If it isn't about the Lich King or the demons from BC, I won't care much.  Everything after that was pretty hokey...

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Psychow

I don't like Oreo Cookies in the least. 

I never tried an Oreo Blizzard, but I think its safe to say I wouldn't like it. 

You don't always have to actually try something to know you wouldn't like it. If it were a requirement then people would be out munching on dog poo just to make sure they didn't enjoy it. Some times you can get to know enough about something to make the decision without trying it. 

DarkFall Online has FFA PvP and Full Loot. Many do not like FFA PvP and Full Loot (I happen to like FFA PvP and Full loot but fully understand many do not) at all and some even despise it. These people don't need to try DFO to know they don't like it. 

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Psychow

hahaha! kills me lololol

but on a serious note, whats not to like about wow? :<

you never played it so you never know, you might actually like it right? :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• easy-reasy-r Member Posts: 38
    i dont play wow and i wouldnt see the movie but this would be so embarassingly bad as a gamer if it gets made
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Single greatest problem - green muscular orcs would look hilarious out dated and cheesy. 2nd problem, huge shoulder armor is going to look out dated and cheesy. Third problem, actors spamming spells is going to look out dated and cheesy- it goes on and on ;)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    With all money here around wow I really do not understand why I can not go to watch some 3rd or 4th movie from wow ... immagine now waiting for first. For sure will go to see and know many many that would.
  • GenisideGeniside Member Posts: 1
    I read alot of posts saying they should make a movie about Arthas, but isnt that like saying "look its LOTR lets start by making a movie The Two Towers" and not The Fellowship of the Ring
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Geniside
    I read alot of posts saying they should make a movie about Arthas, but isnt that like saying "look its LOTR lets start by making a movie The Two Towers" and not The Fellowship of the Ring

Well speaking strictly for myself, the reason I say this is because:

1.) Arthas is a human character.  Whatever happened to him will/should be more easily identifiable with movie goers.  The Burning Crusade requires a lot more backstory and lore and you want to grab people right away.

2.) Wotlk was, I believe, the height of the WoW franchise, with around 12mil players claimed by Blizzard.  They haven't had that number since.  It was their most successful expansion (possibly due to most everything being easy mode).  A lot of casuals really enjoyed the game around then.

I'm fine with going the route of BC, but then, what's going to draw in more of a crowd?  A Darth Vader-like villain or a lot of blood elves, orcs, and demons?  I think it might come off as cheesy to do the latter.  I'm trying to look at this from a Hollywood perspective.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I am just expecting a lot of product placements in the movie since it is commercial sell out stuff from Blizz/Activation. Might sound hard to do in a movie based on a high fantasy setting, but I am certain they will pull it off somehow.