Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: A New Hope

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Blizzard's CGI videos are pretty epic. So, I figure they won't settle for a lackluster film.

Look at how WoW looks versus the CGI videos used to promote it... 

Advertisement for Mist of Pandaria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

Actual Mist of Pandaria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCJFs1pMDpE

If they can settle for lackluster with their bread and butter when the CGI videos are pretty epic I'm not sure anyone can be positive they won't settle for a lackluster film. 

The only way I'd have any faith in them is if they did a full CGI film lol.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Blizzard's CGI videos are pretty epic. So, I figure they won't settle for a lackluster film.

The only way I'd have any faith in them is if they did a full CGI film lol.

That would work for me. Same with the SWTOR videos...they would make for a very nice movie.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Blizzard has the money to make this an Avatar/LOTR quality CG/RL mix.

It all depends on whether or not they want to. The rumored 100 million budget points to a "yes."

Fellowship of the Ring spent 93 million,  Waterworld spent 175 million

however the WOW movie turns out -  it should be decent enough

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I smell competition for that other masterpiece - street fighter the movie.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It all depends on whether or not they want to. The rumored 100 million budget points to a "yes."

Warcraft universe has arguable better/more rich lore than LOTR and those movies were done exceptionally well.

How? Great director, great writing (yes, Tolkein-heads the movies were well written) and a massive budget with an excellent blend of RL and high-quality CG integration (hello Gollum anyone?!)

I'm curious to hear the argument string that Warcraft has a better richer lore than the Lord of the Rings.  A good portion of the Warcraft universe is based on Tolkien's world.

Based on sure, as is most modern fantasy.

Warcraft lore has great history and characters. Great conflicts, tragedies... best part is that it is modern, relevant, constantly expanding, being added to, improved upon. Warcraft lore is certainly a hell of a lot larger. It's fluid.

LOTR is really just 3 big books written a long time ago. The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. Doesn't change, doesn't update, you can read over and over and nothing is ever new or different. It's extremely static. No one will ever add to it. There will never be any more lore added.

And I'm sorry but Tolkein's writing style was an absolute bore.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Will there be people that never move with ! over their heads in the movie?

like the opening day of LK ?)

http://media.wow-europe.com/viewer/wow_video.htm?vid=wlk_eu_2008&dir=movies/wlk_eu_2008&img=wlk_openings

Wow... when people had to go to a store to buy a game... so last century ;-)

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Warcraft universe has arguable better/more rich lore than LOTR and those movies were done exceptionally well.

How? Great director, great writing (yes, Tolkein-heads the movies were well written) and a massive budget with an excellent blend of RL and high-quality CG integration (hello Gollum anyone?!)

I'm curious to hear the argument string that Warcraft has a better richer lore than the Lord of the Rings.  A good portion of the Warcraft universe is based on Tolkien's world.

Warcraft lore has great history and characters. Great conflicts, tragedies... best part is that it is modern, relevant, constantly expanding, being added to, improved upon. Warcraft lore is certainly a hell of a lot larger. It's fluid.

LOTR is really just 3 big books written a long time ago. The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. Doesn't change, doesn't update, you can read over and over and nothing is ever new or different. It's extremely static. No one will ever add to it. There will never be any more lore added.

But that is like saying that a soap is better than an oscar winning film because it updates.  

And video game movies don't have to be Oscar winners to be good movies.

Good movie can mean "entertaining" and "fun."

Ya'll are WAY too uptight.

It's like people who critique art or poems.

Sometimes, when the author says something is blue, it's not because it's a analogy for the feelings blah blah blah.

Sometimes, the thing is literally the color blue.

Or the artist really just threw some blue paint on there for kicks.

People who think they are highly intelligent often miss the blatantly obvious.

Originally posted by MightyChasm

But that is like saying that a soap is better than an oscar winning film because it updates.  

No, no it's really not.

Ya'll are WAY to uptight.

Sometimes, when the author says something is blue, it's not because it's a analogy for the feelings blah blah blah.

Or maybe they just dislike shit movies? 

Not saying there haven't been shit game movies, but also saying a lot of the crap that wins Oscars and critics think is so good is pretty much shit too.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

A movie feels like a big risk - you're taking an IP from a market it dominates and putting into a market where ambitious adaptations have generally flopped.  If a movie comes out looking weak relative to other IPs, that may change how customers view the game itself.

Not saying there haven't been shit game movies, but also saying a lot of the crap that wins Oscars and critics think is so good is pretty much shit too.

Very true.  I still remember the year that Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption came out, and the best film went to Forrest Gump.  Forrest Gump?  Godwful movie but it involved a mentally ill character so sure fire Oscar winner.  Perhaps the new WOW film should consider that.    

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Better late then never, which still might be the case. But it was in the leaked production slate, so we all knew it was coming  much to my shagrin and my  unwillingness to watch a poorly done video game movie, I think if they chose a portion of lore that Wows players hold dear, like the fall of arthas or the rise of the burning legion, and re-tooled with retcons to the new story, and provided a solid cast of actors, they could pull this off. Look at the movie 300, you know how many would love it done in that style, I would watch it twice if they did that.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    how will i get to the theatre without someone to hold a carrot out in front of my face?

played a million mmo's

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I don't intend to see this. I experienced WoW through countless years of repetitive gameplay and never cared for its storyline, there's no need to rehash it on the big screen. Hell, my friends and I wouldn't even watch it when WoW was trendy. In questing, I skip over text and CGIs, I can't imagine paying for and staying awake through a 2 hour cutscene, regardless how sewper hawt the Night Elves are (lol). I think it's too little, too late to revive WoW's former glory, and this will be worse than the Final Fantasy movie.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I hope there is no Heirloom gear in the movie or it will only be a 10 minute movie. :)

But seriously, I wonder what timeline they will have? If they want to include everything then the Movie will easily be 8+ hrs long.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

First of all...the movie will be a financial sucess regardless of it's quality. Just look at diablo 3..what a terrible game that is and it made money hand over fist..why? It was the brand...

I predict the same thing with "warcraft" the movie...I don't believe arthas will be in it at all..I think they will cover the orc vs human conflict and the fall of medivh first....personally the time for me to be excited about this movie has long past..it's gonna have to be a good movie on its own merits for me to care at all..

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    It has to be about the rise and fall of Arthas. IT HAS TOO!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Felicia Day better be in this...
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I smell competition for that other masterpiece - street fighter the movie.

It'll be duking it out with "GI Joe XIV", betcha.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    So Sam Raimi left the project to ruin the Wizard of Oz.  That movie looks awful.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I can't see this movie working as aan adult title. It has to be some sort of comedy, aiming for the lower to mid teen crowd.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I can't see this movie working as aan adult title. It has to be some sort of comedy, aiming for the lower to mid teen crowd.

They're better off making it a cartoon series.  Or will that happen AFTER the film? 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Yamota

They're better off making it a cartoon series.  Or will that happen AFTER the film? 

Yeah cartoon would fit it better. WoW has always struck me as a goofy cartoon with simplistic characters.