Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What backer rewards would really make you consider backing Camelot Unchained's Kickstarter?

2»

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Backing a KS MMO is generally dumb, as the resources needed to make a decent MMO are HUGE (We have see crap that comes out, otherwise). Backing a KS MMO for the promises of swag is very dumb. Let the stupid, pay the penalty.
  • knallpulverknallpulver Member UncommonPosts: 41

I don't need any rewards to give money through Kickstarter......

I am however living on a tight budget (student), so if I'm going to give any higher amounts, then I have to get the game and beta access or something.....

I don't understand people that won't give money no matter what.... I mean you can give 5$.... that's nothing, and the game might not succeed, but it's not like you're broke after that... (I hope not) and it would show sponsors that people want this kind of games, witch could lead to a bigger budget project with new innovative features....

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

thanks for the breakdown there Hadati, and yea those numbers are inline with star citizens $63 avg per person. I guess i better pledge atleast $100 to makeup for some slackers....who am i kidding...i payed like $300.00 for a WAR beta account...

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by hadati

What scares me though is that the Wildman kickstarter just got yanked today and they were asking 1.1 million and only got 504K with around 9,235 backers.  That's an average of 54 dollars per backer.  CU is asking in the neighborhood of 2 million.  To make that happen with an average person backing at 54 dollars would require around 37,000 backers.  Yikes!

Let's keep going with backer ideas!  There's less than 20 days until March. :)

Yeah I have to admit I think this kickstarter will go down in flames especially since the project exists completely on paper at this point (if that). I guess the big question is whether Mark is committed to putting up his own cash to make this a reality or whether this will all be a one month fantasy that will be quickly forgotten and we'll all go back to following TESO's development progress.

On the more optimistic side, I had never even heard of Wildman until its kickstarter was yanked. CU should have no such problem with its kickstarter being visible to former and current DAOC players.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Backing a KS MMO is generally dumb, as the resources needed to make a decent MMO are HUGE (We have see crap that comes out, otherwise). Backing a KS MMO for the promises of swag is very dumb. Let the stupid, pay the penalty.

One thing in CU's favor as a kickstarter game is that it won't be a full, modern MMO. It doesn't need a $200 million budget to pay for voice actors or anything.

Anyway most of us here aren't thinking of giving thousands of dollars to CU's kickstarters. Considering what most of us have spent on retail boxes and monthly subscriptions for various MMOs, giving a few dozen or even a few hundred dollars to a kickstarter for a game we think we might love and play for years is not a big deal.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Id like for a small package.

Some game time

Founders recognition in game maybe a title that can never be earnt again.

Full beta access.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Burntvet Backing a KS MMO is generally dumb, as the resources needed to make a decent MMO are HUGE (We have see crap that comes out, otherwise). Backing a KS MMO for the promises of swag is very dumb. Let the stupid, pay the penalty.
    One thing in CU's favor as a kickstarter game is that it won't be a full, modern MMO. It doesn't need a $200 million budget to pay for voice actors or anything.

Anyway most of us here aren't thinking of giving thousands of dollars to CU's kickstarters. Considering what most of us have spent on retail boxes and monthly subscriptions for various MMOs, giving a few dozen or even a few hundred dollars to a kickstarter for a game we think we might love and play for years is not a big deal.

But think of what that money could do to expand your investment portfolio.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

$1k-$5k = Name one or more Points of Contention.  Not sure what they will be but for instance in DAoC land, $1k might equal a tower while $5k might equal a Keep.  Naming would obviously have to be compatible with the faction it would exist in and meet all other naming guidelines.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I'm backing it no matter what but I would appreciate beta access if I drop a couple hundred on the kickstarter. I would love to help test the lovechild of the best MMORPG ever made.
  • PeculiarJohnPeculiarJohn Member Posts: 8
    If you drop $2,000,000 for the project, Mark Jacobs comes to your house and washes your car for you.
  • hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Well Wildman was fraught with problems. Most notably 90% of Gas Powered Games was layed off right ad the Kickstarter started, calling into question whether the game would ever be created. I think that spooked a lot of wouldbe investors. It gave them Project Copernicus flashbacks.

What CU needs to do is not only have great kickstarter backer rewards but start generating massive buzz so that every current and former DAoC player hears about it, plus explain the magic of RvR and the coolness of a more hardcore MMO ruleset to folks who never played DAoC so they realize how this fills a lot of the void in the current far too easy, hello kitty peanut butter hula square adventure island MMO market.

Without that buzz, 2 million is probably unattainable. People need to know about this game in the midst of all the other MMOs planned for release this year and care about its success.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• EnwoodEnwood Member UncommonPosts: 9
    And if the made a FFA server like the dreds were in daoc, as a friend and I were discussing,  we would drop enough to get a merchant named after us or something similar
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    I'd be cool with early beta/alpha access ... No need for reservation stuff and titles :D
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by Burntvet Backing a KS MMO is generally dumb, as the resources needed to make a decent MMO are HUGE (We have see crap that comes out, otherwise). Backing a KS MMO for the promises of swag is very dumb. Let the stupid, pay the penalty.

Because investments are so reliable these days?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Originally posted by skyexile

Because investments are so reliable these days?

For myself, I won't even pre-order an MMO anymore, I have previously bought too many hyped-up pieces of crap games (yeah, thanks MMORPG.com writers). Throwing down money for for a KS MMO is even one step further back than that: there is not even a game yet. (And for the record, as has been said before, when you give money for any KS, you are not an investor: an investor gets stock, a share of the profits or other equity and has certain legal rights. With KS, it is a donation with a few strings attached, for which you get some swag, if the game ever comes out. That's it.)
  • hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28

Can I ask that we keep it on topic?  

The topic is: What ideas do you have for CU's kickstarter that would inspire you you or other people to back the game?

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

This discussion has been closed.