Mega server could make different instances with alternative rule-sets; non-combat explorer mode, wPvP, or even private instances that could double as sandboxes. Lets players choose how they want to play!
What we know so far about the Mega-server:
"When you want to enter the game no server list appears. You just click “Play” and you are in Tamriel. All players are housed on one “mega server” but in several separated worlds. But these worlds are not stable. The system can add new players to the world or can merge several worlds into one. It is a new technology that sets new MMO standard." - Source
Can they convert that technology to create instances with different rule-sets, thereforth making a character who can jump between choices like wPvP, PvE, or Exploration instances. I've seen this suggestion before and it's a great one. It allows players to pick how they want to play and then groups them with others.
Different rule-sets would include;
- Official ESO PvE servers
- Official ESO Cyrodiil campaigns
- wPvP PvE servers - Players can choose to play the game inside a wPvP zone or Invade another faction's zone. If they invade a territory then they are spawned from secret camps inside the area with other PvE players who wish to participate in wPvP. It would replace battlegrounds to something more like queue'n for organized world PvP.
- Exploration - All areas of the map are open to players. There is limited NPC interaction but players are even allowed to travel in Cyrodiil without conflict. This is so players can explore and meet with other players who like to do the same. There could be manual flagging system which players can choose FFA or Faction based wPvP.
- Private Server - For $14.99 a month you can have your very own private version of the game (like playing ESO with no one else). This version would be linked to their official progress meaning they would have to play the game to get more options. As time continues the developers could add content to the private servers such as housing or other roleplaying elements (mimicking mods). Players are encouraged to invite others into their private server and it could tie into other PvE elements like raiding and dungeons.
* After time developers could release modifiers. Modifiers could add features such as a first person only rule-set , food and water needs, or open racial appearence.
By allowing mega servers to give us mega options they could link ESO more closely to it's TES brothers. One of the overlooked elements is TES is player mods, if developers could offer these options to change their game but still have a persistent repersentation of our character then the possiblities are endless.
With the private server feature you would get 2 games in one; an ESO MMO and a TES sandbox with multiplayer.
- Instead of the classic PvE, PvP and Roleplaying servers, would you like PvE, wPvP (home), wPvP (invador), Explorer and Private Instance (for the subscribers)? There is a good chance that the mega server could create different instances to mimic "server types".
- Would you like modifiers (dev mods) to alter your private instances ? ~ things like; housing, castles, titles, first person rules, need for food and water, cold weather mod, and character appearence.
- How would you like an explorer version of ESO? In this version the NPCs could be unactive and you'll meet with other players who wish to explore. You could go anywhere, across Cyrodiil (good for scouting), other factoin territories or cities. People who play the normal game would not see these explorers, only other people who are playing the exploring mode.