Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After GW2 do you want the holy trio back?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

So as the title asks. We have seen a game launch now that tried to break the mold and offer us a game that didn't rely on the holy trinity. Some like it some don't.. So how does everyone here feel that has tried a non holy trinity game? Do yu think games are better  with the trinity or witha massive hybrid system like GW2 offered or something close to it..Vote and discuss below.

Comments

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I figure I will post my feeling on my own question. While I enjoyed the hybrid system and am still enjoying it.  I think it is good to have dedicated roles for some classes. After all it is a ROLEplaying game. Honestly I think the way champions did it was best. Where players could swap out the role they wanted to play with their character when they wanted to. I think having some hybrid options is great but having everyone playing a hybrid is just to much.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I've never really liked the holy trinity. I'd like to see more games without it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

While GW2s system wasn't bad because it was somewhat fun and nice that you didn't have to rely on anyone i'd still rather the trinity, it's a fun system and I like to have a particular role, I lot of people do.

I know many people who specifically only play healers or tanks, mainly healers though, a lot of girls I know ONLY play healers and nothing else. In GW2 they couldn't really fulfill that role unfortunately.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    I figure I will post my feeling on my own question. While I enjoyed the hybrid system and am still enjoying it.  I think it is good to have dedicated roles for some classes. After all it is a ROLEplaying game. Honestly I think the way champions did it was best. Where players could swap out the role they wanted to play with their character when they wanted to. I think having some hybrid options is great but having everyone playing a hybrid is just to much.

Um, roleplaying has nothing at all to do with the trinity and the word was invented long before a "trinity" ever existed.  Roleplaying came from the tabletop gaming world, and it basically means taking on a different role than your real life role.  So in real life you are a banker, but this week you are playing a secret agent, or a commando, or a wizard.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing#Role-playing_games

Gods, I hope that's not what most people think RPG stands for these days.... 

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    I wouldn't mind seeing a workable alternative; but at the same time I would rather have the trinity than the messy GW2 system.    
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Yes i definitely like to have a specific role. GW2's praised "no trinity, everyone's welcome" thing just turned into "4 warriors + mesmer" fast runs just a few months past release. The rest of people, with a few exceptions, are just considered sub-par. Rift's class system is perfect, too bad the game is WoW-like at endgame (not enough open world content)
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Um, roleplaying has nothing at all to do with the trinity and the word was invented long before a "trinity" ever existed.  Roleplaying came from the tabletop gaming world, and it basically means taking on a different role than your real life role.  So in real life you are a banker, but this week you are playing a secret agent, or a commando, or a wizard.  

image Very true it seems that even D&D has veerd of course when it comes to true roll playing games. Games like Fable and Bards Tale were true RPG games while games like WoW and other fantasy MMO's who could only offer RPG realms that in which point players who rolled toons on these servers should of rolled on normal servers. Only a small comunity of a handful of guild aculy were true RPG guilds. Even some of those did not RPG properly thier missuse of EMOTES was lacking indeed.

I also fear that most players do to lack of lore and contact aculy understand the true meaning of a RPG game.

I also feel that it is impossible to make a true RPG MMO for they will always have players that will ruin the game expirence. Only way for you to have a true MMORPG would to host a private server on your MMO of choice or for that matter belong to a private server of your MMO of choice.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

While GW2s system wasn't bad because it was somewhat fun and nice that you didn't have to rely on anyone i'd still rather the trinity, it's a fun system and I like to have a particular role, I lot of people do.

I know many people who specifically only play healers or tanks, mainly healers though, a lot of girls I know ONLY play healers and nothing else. In GW2 they couldn't really fulfill that role unfortunately.

I hear lots of guys who like to let on they are girls play Healers ....perhaps that's where you missed your calling in GW2?

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    I really enjoy playing healers and distance mages. That's why I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV. Good bye Guild Wars 2, turns out I did like the trinity afterall.
  • MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    It limits the PVE aspect in GW2 without a trinity.
  • DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36

GW2 took a chance at making a "holy trinity" free game. In my humble opinion it didn't succeed and many don’t like the way GW2 dungeons feel. On the other hand because GW2 did not deliver doesn't mean that “holy trinity” free games are to be condemned .  It just means that we have to wait for a better implementation . 

I also disagree with the poll , you should add an option for people that want to have the opportunity to play both style games. In case we get bored ... 

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Holy Trinity and games with such tend to have far more bad gamers. Take any game with 25+ man raids. You could literally have people in raids that are garbage as hell but there because they are a sibling or sponse of one of the main raiders. They stand in garbage and cost valuable mana where the healer should be focusing on keeping tanks up.

At least without the trinity gamers are forced to learn to play better. You dont have some dedicated class healing you after standing in the wrong spot or trying to stab stuff in the face as a rogue when you should be behind them.

If i had to choose one i like a more hybrid set up but i dont hate either set up.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

GW2's trinity less setup is a good start but I'd like to see it improved upon further. I do not want to go back to the trinity at all. 

GW2 has shown its a popular idea so you can expect to see it more in future MMO's.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    There has to be a happy medium between having freedom in character building and team play imo.  Gw2 is fun, but in group play you just feel like you are all trying to dish out as much dps as possible.  In a trinity system, it gets stale fast doing the same thing over and over, but you also get that pride in being good in your role...there has to be a point where those two systems can compliment each other, that would be nice to see

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Holy trinity is far too limiting, no thank you...hell, even games like WoW that have the trinity have evolved to the point of allowing several builds allowing healers to be DPS, DPS to be tanks and tanks to be healers (paladins). Just lose the roles all together and let people be whatever they want when they want or as its needed.

But no, really...lets keep the trinity and the messed up waiting for groups for your "role". Oh wait, no healers around? NP just sit there and WAIT until you find one as you tell the 47th DPSer that you dont need them.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

GW2's trinity less setup is a good start but I'd like to see it improved upon further. I do not want to go back to the trinity at all. 

GW2 has shown its a popular idea so you can expect to see it more in future MMO's.

I do belive WildStar will follow the mechanics to a degree of GW2 so I do hope that if this is the case then yes by all means we could be seeing less and less of trinity.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I want trinity back? i didn't know it was gone ;) having a blast in  MMOS which are trinity based. currently playing a tank in AOC, EQ2 and Vanguard. And TESO and neverwinter both are trinity based so nope it isn't going to just disappear. Although GW2 fans would want you to believe that it will. But then who takes them seriously anyways lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• darksaber8570darksaber8570 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Yes, its true roleplaying was invented long before the word trinity ever existed in games but it does not mean it was not ever there. As for the whole trinity system and the hybrid system that GW2 created I would say I favor the trinity system. 

It is nice to know who is healing... who is Mting and who are the dps.  I went into GW2 with an open mind since I was not familiar in this concept of hybrid role system. I find often too many times I have died alot during fights...this happens frequently.  Now keep in mind I was spec mage for healing and I tried several experiments during groups I joined up in and just did dps (fire spec). Half way into these runs we were always dieing alot so i switch to healing mode.

Now the fights went a little longer ...especially the boss fights but we all were living and not dieing but with a success outcome. Then at the end of these runs I would confidently say 70% of the time someone always complained about my DPS not being up to par. I have to ask myself ...seriously? I kept us from having repairs and kept all of the groups alive!  I will not go on any further then this but i think i made my point... i think.

Personally the trinity system is good for the community . In every game we play there are roles to play. I know the common arguement that there is never a healer when you want one or there is never tank . Did you ask yourself why there is always DPS ... they are everywhere? Maybe all the crazy arse nerfing being done to healers and tanks in other games make it so that it becomes an undesirable class to play. Yes I am biased on this topic because I do play a tank and healer.

Now thats my take on this subject but keep in mind this view point is both for PvE, WvW and PVP and so forth.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    The holy trinity isn't going anywhere. Especially if it means that there won't be ridiculous manoeuvres (i.e. "kiting", "flailing around mobs") needed to do content.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    What I dont like in GW2 is in dungeons people run from boss to boss not playing. Some run in one direction and others in another in this zurg game play style. I think this is partly because of no trinity. I would try another non-trinity game agian if teams had some other dynamic that made people work together with tatics. Trinity has that down pat so for now Im looking for a trinity game. I have no MMO home right now and a little put out bu that fact.
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

The weird thing is GW2 do have holy trinity in a sense.

Guardian is by far the best class in high level dungeon(fotm) because it is the best defensive class.  So every group would want 1 or more guadian for high level dungeon.

And warrior is by far the best dps class, so people apparently "only" invite warrior for speed run.

So unless every class have the same defense and dps capability, there will always be 1 class outshine in certain situation.  Where as in holy trinity you don't have those problem.  Because the healer rely on dps rely on the tank, everyone is doing different things.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I want trinity back? i didn't know it was gone anywhere ;) having a blast in a lot of MMOS which are trinity based. currently playing a tank in AOC, EQ2 and Vanguard. And TESO and neverwinter both are trinity based so nope it isn't going to just disappear. Although GW2 fans would want you to believe that it will.

I don't think all us say or think that at all.  In fact I'm sure it won't either becuase it's to much of a comfort blanket for a lot of people.  Until more people can think outside the box or play games in a different way instead of the tried and true trinity, quest hub, gear grind and raid, games will keep being churned out the same old, same old.  However, at least a lot of us will have more options to scratch all those itches.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

The gw2 dungeon feels like a mess and is easy and random at the same time.

I would love to see no more games using this kind of hybrid. I would however like all classes to fill each role.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    I've never liked the trinity.  It's completely unrealistic, yeah I know, realism in a fantasy game???  Combat is chaotic.  Having a person basically hurling insults while everyone else beats the hell outta a mob is unimaginative mechanics.  The trinity forces an order where none should exist.  I think GW2s approach is a step in the right direction.  The combat is somewhat chaotic like it should be and if the players are selfish and don't work together then failure is an option just as in real combat.  People are resistant to change and since this is a change, many won't like it and can't accept that they have to do something besides, throw insults, heal or DPS to the max.  /shrug. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Latronus
    I've never liked the trinity.  It's completely unrealistic, yeah I know, realism in a fantasy game???  Combat is chaotic.  Having a person basically hurling insults while everyone else beats the hell outta a mob is unimaginative mechanics.  The trinity forces an order where none should exist.  I think GW2s approach is a step in the right direction.  The combat is somewhat chaotic like it should be and if the players are selfish and don't work together then failure is an option just as in real combat.  People are resistant to change and since this is a change, many won't like it and can't accept that they have to do something besides, throw insults, heal or DPS to the max.  /shrug. 

very much agree.. trinity combat in MMOs is extremely boring to me after playing games without it.. maybe some of the new games with more trinity based combat will have some new ideas to spice things up more..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg