Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obsidian looking to return to making Star Wars games .. could this be Star Wars MMORPG #3?

2»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    It'll be single player (maybe co-op thrown in like NWN). No way they'll make 2 Star Wars MMO's this close together.

They have not even pitched the idea to Disney yet, and so doubt it will be released until at least 2015. If it takes as long as SWTOR did, then it will not be released until 2018. Think SWTOR will have run its course by then, if not by the end of this year!  So it will be the only SW MMO when it releases! If it is not a MMO then there will be no SW MMO to play.

Even if it'll be 2018 when it launches, that's still too close together IMO for another Star Wars MMO. Thanks for the laugh of SWTOR running it's course by the end of 2013 though.

If that is how LA views thing then SWTOR would not have been created either. From what I can tell Bioware pitched a SW MMO to LA in 2005, that is 2 years after the launch of SWG. Even in 2008 LA reckoned that SWG and SWTOR could have co-existed, due to very different games, and things are different now with Disney. What they will do / allow no one knows. This game by Obsidian is said to be between episode 3 and 4 so is from a different timeline like SWG - SWTOR. If the new MMO was to be in the old republic era again, then it probably would be too soon.

IMO SWTOR has already run its course, and content is just being drawwwwn out (Makeb). If they only got a 2 year licence I doubt they will renew it.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

My guess would be on SP RPG as well, though I'd love a Co-Op mode!

Since they are aiming for the same time period it makes me wonder if it will run alongside The Force Unleashed, or completely ignore it - I'm gonna guess it'll be the second one.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

IMO SWTOR has already run its course, and content is just being drawwwwn out (Makeb). If they only got a 2 year licence I doubt they will renew it.

If the game stays around it's last subscription count (not including the money being made off the Cartel Market) then there is no way they'll shut the game down. Income is income, and it'd be a stupid move to shut the game down while they can draw out the content/charge for what they planned to be free and still have a healthy playerbase.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

If the game stays around it's last subscription count (not including the money being made off the Cartel Market) then there is no way they'll shut the game down. Income is income, and it'd be a stupid move to shut the game down while they can draw out the content/charge for what they planned to be free and still have a healthy playerbase.

EA said that they need 500k subs to break even, which is $7.5 million per month, so as long as they get that in subs and cartel market, then yeah it will be ok, but as history has proven it will not (subs / active players are constantly declining), unless the game gets a major change like a reverse NGE, where it is good instead of bad. Then it depends on what Disney will charge for the SW licence, and how long EA bought the initial one for. Considering the game cost loads to make, they may have gotten a short term one, with the intention of getting a longer one with the profits, which does not seem any now. The way they have handled the game by merging servers, and going F2P so soon, and then the drawn out content, indicates that they have no more plans to sustain the game long term. Even SWG in its final days had more of a plan for a future than SWTOR is getting atm, plus when they decided to shut down SWG was at a time when the servers were growing.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379
    Hopefully it's not an MMO, however it really doesn't matter since I was really interested in the Old Republic time period. I felt that KoToR 1 and 2 really caught the feel of that era. However BW/EA ruined it with the MMO. I would however be interested in the events took take place between EP III and IV, so that could work if it's a singleplayer game.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Hope its a single player game from a point of view or story that is not the same as every other star wars story. So tired of the predictable theme in star wars, bad jedi create a ruckus, good jedi make things right, till the bad jedi create a ruckus... Yawn.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Very probably a Star Wars product containing Disney era lore.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

F2P era has different dynamics. There is room for more products. They are not getting my money with SWTOR, they might with something new.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

If Obsidian Entertaintment does not have any experience with MMOs they better stick with single player games or they will get the same hate that BioWare got :)

The best MMOs (by "best" I mean most successful) have all been from first time MMO producers (EQ1, UO, Lineage, Wow and even SWTOR).  Almost all of the game companies that have produced multiple MMOs have been very hit-and-miss (EQ2, AC2, AoC, Champions, Star Trek, WAR, etc.).

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63326-obsidian-is-lobbying-to-develop-a-new-star-wars-rpg/

^^ Let these guys know if you are one of those who would like to see another SW Game. Showing support may motivate them in pushing for a new title.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Star Trek: New Vegas

Sign me the fuck up