Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: RvR is the ONLY Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The newest blog post from the Camelot Unchained team has cropped up on the official site, marking the end of a very busy week. In this installment, the premise for the game is set: RvR isn't end game, it's the ONLY game.

If you looking for a game that captures the spirit, challenge and excitement of RvR, you have come to the right place. Oh, did I forget to mention territorial control, RvR leaderboards, extremely limited “normal” instances (special events, special unlocks, etc.) and most importantly, getting to know and hate your enemies with a passion and being rewarded for doing so? And no Virginia, cross-realm characters on a server is a no-no and of course, we will have multiple servers but there is a Santa Claus N.O.ME., at least in March on Oz. :)

Read more on the Camelot Unchained site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    This project is starting to feel likes it's getting high on itself... Cool down guys. We get you'll be a niche game.... More niche than they're probably are expecting with the plans they've unveiled so far... 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I'm liking what I'm reading. This game won't appeal to everybody just like WOW doesn't appeal to me. Bring on more details....

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

More and more of the stuff I like, and less and less of that I don't care for.

Pretty exciting stuff, and looking forward to more info. I've never thought twice about helping with kickstarter, but I am certainly considering it now.

• DredulusDredulus Member Posts: 1
    If its anything like Daoc it will be great! Best rvr / pvp ever!
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Have I mentioned how EXCITED I am for this?! Now I have to cry myself to sleep every night knowing that it's not out yet.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I want a world where 80% of players are engaged in pve.  And the other 20% warfare, and of those, a few % have the bawls to infiltrate the enemy homeland and make sport of the 80% and npcs and towns that they need to progress.  I want world pvp where it's actually felt, even if you can't gank people non-consentually. 

A game with just RvR and nothing else might not be as great as you guys think.  A lot of DAoC's fun for me was group PvE.    And one of my biggest peeves with the game was how consequences of RvR were limited to specialized areas. 

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This guy's writing style is so juvenile and amateurish that it makes me wonder if he really contributed anything at all to the world of gaming.

I'm starting to question if he hasn't been mistakenly given credit for other people's ideas.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Denambren

This guy's writing style is so juvenile and amateurish that it makes me wonder if he really contributed anything at all to the world of gaming.

I'm starting to question if he hasn't been mistakenly given credit for other people's ideas.

His writing style is fine. I'm guessing you're just a Mark Jacobs hater and will use anything you can as ammunition against him. Get over ToA or WAR, or whatever you're butthurt about.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Quoting a section of the blog post, looking disturbingly similar to the immature style of forum post I might have made on BBSes back when I was 12:

"Our crafters will never have to worry about whether the gear that they make, the arrows that they fletch nor the ring that they forged in the fires of Mount Doom…, whoops, wrong game, sorry, being eclipsed by something that is dropped by a hummingbird, even if it is the “WORLD’S LARGEST HUMMINGBIRD THAT SHOOTS LASER BEAMS FROM ITS EYES.”"

This guy is addressing the public and trying to garner monetary support and faith from potential backers. His design credibility is not exactly going to skyrocket if he posts like an adolescent boy.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Quoting a section of the blog post, looking disturbingly similar to the immature style of forum post I might have made on BBSes back when I was 12:

"Our crafters will never have to worry about whether the gear that they make, the arrows that they fletch nor the ring that they forged in the fires of Mount Doom…, whoops, wrong game, sorry, being eclipsed by something that is dropped by a hummingbird, even if it is the “WORLD’S LARGEST HUMMINGBIRD THAT SHOOTS LASER BEAMS FROM ITS EYES.”"

This guy is addressing the public and trying to garner monetary support and faith from potential backers. His design credibility is not exactly going to skyrocket if he posts like an adolescent boy.

Just go away if you are going to whine about what someone else finds humorous. You don't have to read it, and we don't want to hear you.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    So it will be Planetside 2 in different setting and worse death penalty.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

At least they know what they are aiming for. Hope they get it right and the RvR will be varied and rich.

I don't think I will be pledging unless they show something amazing when they launch their Kickstarter campaign. Could very well try the game when it launches, though.

• knallpulverknallpulver Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by QSatu
    So it will be Planetside 2 in different setting and worse death penalty.

That's one ridiculous comment..... You can't compare games like that.....

I for one love this concept..... There are probably many who don't like it.... but hey..... the most popular types of MMO's suck balls......

I hope the increase of the indie games popping up right now, will change how MMO's will be in the future.... 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Just go away if you are going to whine about what someone else finds humorous. You don't have to read it, and we don't want to hear you.

yeah seriously this guys whining about how someone is writing speaks volumes about him. There seem to be a few haters on here that just hate mark jacobs no matter what he says or does. The sad thing is he doesnt even know the guy personally but wants to nitpick about how hes wording things.

Maybe Mark Jacobs plays mmorpgs and thinks they all have just sucked since wow released? Maybe hes sick of watching wow clone after wow clone release and people complain and wants to make sure he gets the point across that hes making something much different than the normal mmo crap thats been released already?

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

I'm afraid CU won't be anything more than a pvp game which is a shame but thats the reality. Clearly they don't have the dev team for a full mmorpg project so they are going to rush CU out of the door with little tangible content and nothing in the way of true sandbox features. It's simply RvR....and thats pretty much it.

The problem is, there are no successful pvp-only mmorpg's....there just aren't and everytime someone tries it, it ends in failure.

The best pvp games all have a pve element and there is a simple, well established reason for this, like it or not, most mmorpg players want some pve in their gaming.

Perhaps in this modern mmorpg era when it looks like all modern releases are going F2P this won't matter so much as players can get their pve fix elsewhere, but this means CU will have to be F2P as well or people simply won't bother with it.

I think they are making a mistake and with no content bar RvR this game will come unstuck.

So, once again, like many others, im awaiting DAoC 2....a game that seems destined never to be made.....CU isn't DAoC 2....it's DAoC lite.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Sounds good for now. It's almost 10 years since ToA and no game has gotten open world PvP right. Hopefully this or ESO manage it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Sounds good for now. It's almost 10 years since ToA and no game has gotten open world PvP right. Hopefully this or ESO manage it.

war is fought to protect civilizations.  war without civilization means little.   That's how I've always felt about these pvp only games.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    this doesn't sound appealing to me at all, but g'luck with your game and niche
  • storm219storm219 Member UncommonPosts: 13

Sounds right to me!

That butthurt comments here are hilarious, if you don't like PVP don't wait for CU.

I enjoy DAoC, WoW Arena, Darkfall, Eve Online and Planetside 1&2. I don't care about the story & quests.

SWTOR was just  spamming space & 1 simultaneously & sometimes you fight, PVP was shit, even worse than WoW Battlegrounds.

Warhammer Online is/was weird, zones were too small and pipe-like, random drops from keep lords was just a shit idea.

WoW PVE is also shitty, while it tries to tell a story & be challenging it lacks depth. Killing bosses over and over again just to have small drop chance for an item which lets you kill the same bosses slightly faster is not fun at all. I don't have a problem with small drop chances but there is no possibility to kill those bosses a second/third/etc time (& getting loot) because of this weekly lockout.

I enjoy having fights with other players & I don't even need a reward for doing so. People in WoW already pissed me off with "I have capped my weekly conquest points, I don't need to do arenas, sorry"... Yeah, alright...

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    This is gonna be soooooooo awesome!!!!

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• EpoiisaEpoiisa Member Posts: 7
    "RvR isn't end game, it's the ONLY game."

I've been waiting for this phrase since I played original DAoC.

"territory control"... Waaaaaaaaaa FOR HIBERNIA!!!

Signature’s are a waste of space.

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

I like the idea of an MMO that has one focus and stick to it.

I do not know why PvE players complain about it. There are a lot of othe games that try to please all types; they do not do it for all sides, but they try.

I like a game that has a main focus on RvR and with this it could make crafting a very viable component of the game considering that 90% of the time you'll fight players that do not drop items, maybe just crafting materials (or those could be pludered from enemy teritory? that would rock!).

SInce GW2 release I decided not to jump into hype wagons again (stayed away from TESO and Neverwinter), but this game is getting me worked up!

Can't wait to see the real deal!

V.

P.S. I hope there will be collision in the game, it makes the RvR so much more strategic.

EDIT: Coffee did not kick in yet, my fingers are all in the wrong places on the keyboard!

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    To keep one's sanity, remember to sloooowly sip from the kool-aid filled goblet!

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• CerthaxCerthax Member Posts: 5
    When kickstarter will be available? I really want to play RvR.. been waiting for years.
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    good old daoc days, sneaking around with Shadowblade, giant 2hander, ganking lowbies, while staying in stealth.