Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Kate Flack Talks Design

2»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Wait so is this an ultima PC game? Or is it a tablet game. Either way that's kind of cool they are trying to bring it to new gamers.

To any new gamers I would recommend emulators to play the original classics.  They are quite fun.

Origin sold to EA in about 1992 and thats when the Ultima series sort of died.  UO went on, under Richer Garriott's direction, for some years.  When he left (EA fired him, to my recollection) UO suffered,  .. EA pumped out UO expansions, but not nearly as interesting or clean as when Garriott was in charge.  Through a court ruling, Garriott could keep the title "Lord British", because it was tied to his identity.  Hence forth EA could no longer use "Lord British".

What happened was a single person with huge creative talent that was replaced with a corporate PoS company.  The end result is not very creative.

edit - minor grammar

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

God damn it MMORPG. I had nearly forgotten that this abortion of a game was being worked on. Thanks for bringing up all that hate and loathing again.

Did they not soddomize the franchise and its fans enough with Ultima 8 & 9? Did they not feel that it was ruined enough? Do they just want to crush that last little speck of glimmering hope that someday the Ultima name might once again be associated with incredibly deep and complex RPGs?

'Virtue points?' ARE YOU KIDDING M.... fuck it. I need a drink and some aspirin now. Drown in shit, EA.

HUH?

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, first released in 1985[1] for the Apple II, is the fourth in the series of Ultima role-playing video games. It is the first in the "Age of Enlightenment" trilogy, shifting the series from the hack and slash, dungeon crawl gameplay of its "Age of Darkness" predecessors towards an ethically-nuanced, story-driven approach. In 1996 Computer Gaming World named Ultima IV as #2 on its Best Games of All Time list on the PC. Designer Richard Garriott considers this game to be among his favorites from the Ultima series.[2]

From Wikipedia.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

God damn it MMORPG. I had nearly forgotten that this abortion of a game was being worked on. Thanks for bringing up all that hate and loathing again.

Did they not soddomize the franchise and its fans enough with Ultima 8 & 9? Did they not feel that it was ruined enough? Do they just want to crush that last little speck of glimmering hope that someday the Ultima name might once again be associated with incredibly deep and complex RPGs?

'Virtue points?' ARE YOU KIDDING M.... fuck it. I need a drink and some aspirin now. Drown in shit, EA.

HUH?

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, first released in 1985[1] for the Apple II, is the fourth in the series of Ultima role-playing video games. It is the first in the "Age of Enlightenment" trilogy, shifting the series from the hack and slash, dungeon crawl gameplay of its "Age of Darkness" predecessors towards an ethically-nuanced, story-driven approach. In 1996 Computer Gaming World named Ultima IV as #2 on its Best Games of All Time list on the PC. Designer Richard Garriott considers this game to be among his favorites from the Ultima series.[2]

From Wikipedia.

That's one of the classics ...

Don't confuse that masterpiece with something EA is throwing at you :P

.. because that game was by Richard Garriott .. and this new Ultima crap is made by EA.  Different creaters.

It's like someone writing a new Lord of the Rings  .. part 4 ... new author, .. but totally bullshit.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174

Why will these people not make a UO 2 with a massive budget, real devs, and the old school ruleset? Of course the pvp aspect needs to be tightened up a bit but other than that, come on man.

I'm so tired of these little shit games and Ultima failures.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Cothor

Why will these people not make a UO 2 with a massive budget, real devs, and the old school ruleset?

Because they probably don't have data to suggest there is an audience big enough for that to justify the talent and budget required.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Surely you can't be serious, dude? You have a monster from doom 2 as your AVI if I am not mistaken, which means you are old school... surely you know there is a massive market for a new UO with relatively the same ruleset, just more polished? Surely you do relaize that, bro?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Cothor
    Surely you can't be serious, dude? You have a monster from doom 2 as your AVI if I am not mistaken, which means you are old school... surely you know there is a massive market for a new UO with relatively the same ruleset, just more polished? Surely you do relaize that, bro?

I am serious. Link me to the data to support that.

I would like to see a reboot of UO just as much as the next UO fan, but I realize both the cost to make such a game and the lack of clarity as to what size audience there really is out there for such a game, as well as lack of agreement across the board as to what rulesets constitute 'classic shard'.  Cal, UO's Producer pretty much explained it the best in a Feb 2011 HoC comment about all the classic shard talk at the time:

In constant review of the threads and other fansites that cater to Ultima Online, we realized that the classic shard comes down to a checklist. It becomes about if you have X rules then this is what a classic shard is. The problem with this is, when working inside this constraint it’s impossible to please everyone.

Also, we DID look into the possibilities of different rulesets and took a look at what had been done in the past, and there was no viable answer that works for everyone.

Source: http://uojournal.com/2011/02/23/classic-shard-uo-video-diary-house-commons-march-1st/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre