Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I stopped playing.

boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

The combat is clunky as hell. ALL skills root you into place for way longer than they should.

I like the skill system (the gems, leveling up, passive skill tree) but the skills themselves make playing not fun. If only the skills felt as good as D2/D3 it would be a great ARPG.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "root you into place for way longer than they should"?
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I played it for a few hours. It was boring as hell and didn't hold a candle to D3/Torchlight 2.

The skill system was interesting but the combat did feel clunky, the quests were very poor and the class balance was unbelievable to say the least.

A good attempt from an indie company but overall a pretty bland experience; i'd say look elsewhere if you want your APRG fix.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah i have to agree with this the combat was very clunky and not mobile at all. I was playing a ranger and spent more time trying to stop myself from running to a target than i did killing things. The skill system itself looked awesome though and i enjoyed the dark graphics but combat for a game like this is 100% of the game and its just not good enough yet for me in terms of responsiveness.
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I hate to be that guy but...

What level did you get to? Movement/Cast/Attack speed bonuses that you typically don't really get the chance to stack until level 50+ all have a *massive* change on how the game plays.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Zezda

What level did you get to? Movement/Cast/Attack speed bonuses that you typically don't really get the chance to stack until level 50+ all have a *massive* change on how the game plays.

you are not being that guy.... but with that said it doesnt really matter much if players decide from early on in the game that the combat is to clunky for them even if you play a hour or a week. I know my main issue was responsiveness which might of just been my naga but every other game works fine on my settings.

• element22389element22389 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Zezda

^ This

I had the same initial impression of the game when i started playing it back in beta. The game picks up immensly though as you progress. Also as there's no class specific skills it may be difficult to figure out which skills have great syngergy and can make the game feel odd. However, once you get a synergistic build going and you've leveled a bit the game outshines D3 and T2 by leaps and bounds. I cant even count how many builds I played the game through with and am still coming up with new ideas.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Wait...............................................yeap still Beta.

OP lemme guess you didn't submit a report here:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Or look at the known issues.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    The game is very clunky and overall worse quality then D3. With that said it's better in every other aspect and graphics don't mean much to me so PoE wins. But yes the mechanics are way worse and the skills are pretty boring.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Plays like Gauntlet that arcade game. All games are deverted to old school game play with no content. This is the worse!
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

The early game combat plays nothing like the later game combat. Its almost as if it was designed as an rpg....

ALL skills root you in place....HAHAHAHA...what a straightout lie!

Whirling blades, leap slam, shield charge and flicker just to name a few that have you rushing at mobs of enemies one after another until - in my case - you die spectacularly upon a mountain of corpses. Try combining these with support gems to make a hilariously fun character.

PS - use default mode to train for fun antics before going hardcore. Fun antics ARE hazardous to your health :D

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I got to around 50 in beta, the real beta, and i think my highest character now is 40 something.

I havent logged in for a week or so, dont really feel the urge to.  Most of my reasons revolve around combat and pace of play, mixed with a bit of fight style (i kite or shoot down mobs off screen).

I know most will say get a new character that isnt a bow user if you dont like the run&shoot or shoot down mobs off screen, however, i find melee to be terribly boring and fustrating.  For me melee really highlights the slow and clunky nature of the game.

Lack of multiplayer and community i guess are a big factor on my feeling towards the game as well, dont like the public group race to loot, especially when theres still mobs attacking...seems to be the number one concern is whos getting the loot.

The skill system has you somewhat skill capped early, unless you spec a ton into int and mana regen, less you be hitting a potion every pull.  Theres also the common and often required tactic of popping a town portal during boss fights to allow escape and potion refill...i find this to be a massive flaw in combat design that this is needed, it shouldnt be needed and should be common or allowable.

I know theres a sizable part of the D2 purest fanclub that are loving this game as the anti-D3.  Theres a lot of things hated with D3 that this game doesnt do...most i feel have a huge drawback, or are just overinflated system such as the passive skill tree which should be called the stat aquisition tree, which is what it really is.  99% stat boosts or slight damage/mitigation/resist/skill boosts...the handfull of real passive skills make no sense and will shoe horn you into a very specific use that in most cases isnt even applicable in more than a handful of situations.

I feel if it wasnt for the games decision to go photorealistic and dark/gritty, and for D3 not being an exact replica of D2, that this game wouldnt have a shred of attention devoted towards it.  Its just not a very good game.  The look of the game, especially some act3 dungeons, are fantastic.  Mechanics are aweful, and the depth of the game isnt nearly what everyone has made it out to be.  Its tiresom to play past the first difficulty level, with almost no change in skills through out your trip to endgame other than an off passive gem or your choice to not level a gem and keep the skill spammible, or level it and use it rarely due to MP consuption. 

If this game had better combat, a passive skill tree with usefull and interesting passive skills, more of them less of the fillers, better itemization (yeah i know this will get flack..theres just a very limited selection of gear effect, and they dont even have pants in the game...im going for resists and elemental damage since theres really nothing else other than the off item drop boost stat...theres really nothing more than resists, your main armor/evasion/energy shield, elemental damage, regens...and a few im sure im forgetting...that can go on gear.)

Sorry, take away the hate towards D3 and this game is nothing...perhaps with a lot of time and a lot of people spending money in the cash shop they can get a proper combat and active skill system, liven up items, add pants (how the fck do you not include pants in gear...in a game like this...seriously..) this game will be something decent.

For now, i just dont have any urge to log in, hide global and trade chat since both are worthless and full of garbage, ignore multiplayer loot races, and trudge through the hardest difficulty shooting mobs off screen, just so i can get those random map drops with stats on intances...which has potential..its just not fun playing.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ya I wasn't too impressed after a first run through. No individuality among classes just different builds. Combat is kinda clunky. 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I got a 73 marauder, and i can say this game wasn't bad at all, it's the community that got me to quit.  It got to the point that I was playing solo almost always, or with a few trusted friends.  My long time friends from other games are all gone now, so i stopped playing as well, since soloing in the higher tiers is really really hard, and bosses are impossible.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I really do not understand at all what people mean by clunky combat. I have played every class past level 40, have never noticed such a thing. Maybe its the mechanics of the game you do not understand or your PC is weaksauce because I have never had any issues with "clunky combat" on any of the 6 classes.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Ok well I'm just sayin.. until you do get a decent portion of cast/attack speed it will feel clunky partly due design and partly because there's no animation cancelling. It works the same way as D2 did, once you have cast/attack speed the animations are drawn quicker and the combat becomes more responsive.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by atuerstar

The early game combat plays nothing like the later game combat. Its almost as if it was designed as an rpg....

ALL skills root you in place....HAHAHAHA...what a straightout lie!

Whirling blades, leap slam, shield charge and flicker just to name a few that have you rushing at mobs of enemies one after another until - in my case - you die spectacularly upon a mountain of corpses. Try combining these with support gems to make a hilariously fun character.

PS - use default mode to train for fun antics before going hardcore. Fun antics ARE hazardous to your health :D

Seriously? I tried whirling blades because it looked interesting(kind of diablo whirlwind-like) but it was the worst of them all. First of all it roots you for like 1 second after you stop travelling and it constantly gets me out of sync. This is the skill that made me stop actually. Leap slam is next on my list to try (when i get the courage to give the game another chance)

Also I stopped enjoying softcore in ARPGs back in 2000. It's HC or nothing (damn you diablo 2)

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• HoramHoram Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by cronius77
    yeah i have to agree with this the combat was very clunky and not mobile at all. I was playing a ranger and spent more time trying to stop myself from running to a target than i did killing things. The skill system itself looked awesome though and i enjoyed the dark graphics but combat for a game like this is 100% of the game and its just not good enough yet for me in terms of responsiveness.

You realize if you hold the shift (default) key it'll hold you in place so your ranger/witch doesn't go charging at a group of skeletons or other baddies, right?

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Horam

You realize if you hold the shift (default) key it'll hold you in place so your ranger/witch doesn't go charging at a group of skeletons or other baddies, right?

As well there is a "move only" button. cant remember that one beause i use the stop (shift) button only. Im a range/witcher.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i kind of like the "clunkiness" of the combat, it reminds me more of D2

its really not that clunky either, its just not as fluid as D3.

• ThaneSolusThaneSolus Member Posts: 32
    The game was not made for instant gratification drones...
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

yaaaaay another "idontlikethisgamesoitsucks".......*facepalm*

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

You fail at gaming, plain and simple. Just bind walking to one mouse button and the rest to skills, then you either run or use skills but never run when you miss-click a target. You can even run and shoot in different directions in a limited way.

I had the same problem as you initialy, but I figured out the issue and adjusted the controls. I can even run in front of an enemy, turn, shoot, turn, run again in split seconds ....

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Holding Shift kinda remedies that issue..

Bland skills? I don't really see that when you can customize any and every active skill in the game with up to 5 different support gems to customize it in many many different ways lol.

As for being rooted in place I can kinda see where your coming from but really doesnt bug me at all, its only a split second upon use for the vast majority of skills. Guess it jsut depends on what kinda build/skills your using. Playing a marauder I was never stationary and constantly flying all over the screen lol. Leap Slam and Shield Charge are pretty fun or you got Flicker Strike and some otehr skills that are far from stationary lol.

As for class balance I don't really see how this is much of an issue at all considering class determines nothing whatsoever except where you start on the skill grid lol. Any class can use any weapon, any skill, and go anywhere on the skill grid they so choose. I've seen marauders using bows and casting summons, witches running around meleeing with 2hers, etc etc and they are all perfectly viable and playable. I haven't seen any skill/passive combo that is op that is not accessible to every class in the game..

Either way it's still beta and there are issues and areas that need work yet but thats kind of what betas are all about.. working out the bugs, polishing the game in general, and evolving it into a better finished product. To many spoiled little brats expect everything to be perfect these days even though it's clearly stated they won't be, is pretty sad lol.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by boxsnd

The combat is clunky as hell. ALL skills root you into place for way longer than they should.

I like the skill system (the gems, leveling up, passive skill tree) but the skills themselves make playing not fun. If only the skills felt as good as D2/D3 it would be a great ARPG.

Melee was pretty horrible in the game.  constantly running around my targets when I'mtrying to click to attack them got super annoying.  Not a huge fan of the long run back times to get to boss fights either.  I think the game is tuned a bit to hard because I died 3 straight times to the boss that showers you in falling firestorm and I havnt played since then.

Trusting Neverwinter to be my ARPG of the future.  Good thing it actually plays like an MMO as well.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Melee was pretty horrible in the game.  constantly running around my targets when I'mtrying to click to attack them got super annoying.  Not a huge fan of the long run back times to get to boss fights either.  I think the game is tuned a bit to hard because I died 3 straight times to the boss that showers you in falling firestorm and I havnt played since then.

Trusting Neverwinter to be my ARPG of the future.  Good thing it actually plays like an MMO as well.

If only it played like a D&D game......lol