Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So aside from the upcoming Kickstarter...

What else can we do to show our support? I mean other than spreading the word through various forums/friends. There's gotta be at least a few more things we can do while we wait for the kickstarter.

Comments

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    What else can we do to show our support? I mean other than spreading the word through various forums/friends. There's gotta be at least a few more things we can do while we wait for the kickstarter.

Spreading the word is extremely important.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Spreading the word to other sites and to friends on facebook can go a very long way to indie development . Also Mark is active here on this site every day for the last few days answering many questions from people interested or even not interested in CU. I would say also keeping the forums going with CU information and active community here is a great way to keep the hype up for the upcoming kickstarter.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Discussion.

Currently MJ is quite active on the forums, it won't last but at the moment it serves to keep the information trickling out..

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I find it amusing that a teaser video gives meaning to peoples lives.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    I find it amusing that a teaser video gives meaning to peoples lives.

Hey, some of us have been waiting for good RvR for years (almost a decade in my case) 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142

Wait till kickstarter campaign is up and there is a summary of what the game will be, that will be the time to ask people to check it out and finance.

You could get a part time job.. or drink less and buy one of the high premium option they will offer on Kickstarter :) I am thinking how high I can go without really pissing off my wife lol

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by tlear

Wait till kickstarter campaign is up and there is a summary of what the game will be, that will be the time to ask people to check it out and finance.

You could get a part time job.. or drink less and buy one of the high premium option they will offer on Kickstarter :) I am thinking how high I can go without really pissing off my wife lol

I was thinking along those lines. Happy wife, happy life.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Lets hope that EA isnt behind this one.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

He has already made it extremely clear that there will be no big company behind them pulling the strings. That's the whole point of going the Kickstarter route in addition to putting up his own money as well. This gives them the freedom to do what they want to without sacrificing the integrity of the game, as he has already said.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by collekt

He has already made it extremely clear that there will be no big company behind them pulling the strings. That's the whole point of going the Kickstarter route in addition to putting up his own money as well. This gives them the freedom to do what they want to without sacrificing the integrity of the game, as he has already said.

+1, this is why a lot of gamers are supporting kickstarters, this precise reason is why im involved in several currently.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    One thing you can do to support the company is buy March on Oz, the iPad app they created.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Right now, the best thing you can do is certainly just help spread the word about the game/project. If anyone is going to do so though, please, please do not engage in the kind of behavior that we were subject to when we were developing Dark Age of Camelot. Please don't flame other people's games, derail threads, spread false rumors, disparage developers, etc. I'm not looking for players/backers to act as "Online Reputation Managers" or paid/unpaid shills as I hate that stuff.  If you like what you see, fantastic, help spread the word but please don't do it at the expense of other developers/games.

Originally posted by boxsnd

Spreading the word is extremely important.

It's crucial. That's why I started talking/doing interviews prior to the Kickstarter. Going into the KS cold can be a huge mistake.

Originally posted by cronius77
    Spreading the word to other sites and to friends on facebook can go a very long way to indie development . Also Mark is active here on this site every day for the last few days answering many questions from people interested or even not interested in CU. I would say also keeping the forums going with CU information and active community here is a great way to keep the hype up for the upcoming kickstarter.

I certainly try to be. Keeping up here and 3 other sites is getting to be a bit time-comsuming though especially since I have more interviews/blogs and design/development work to do. :)

Originally posted by Zinzan

Discussion.

Currently MJ is quite active on the forums, it won't last but at the moment it serves to keep the information trickling out..

Hopefully it will be seen as more than a trickle soon. :) As to it lasting, well, it depends. I've been active on forums for over 25 years of online game development so this isn't new to me. I'll stay here as long as 1) time permits; 2) things stay nice and civil; 3) we're continuing to get constructive feedback from this community. This is also one of the benefits of not being part of a publicly traded company, I don't have to be extremely guarded about what I say because when I was an officer at EA (most GMs are also VPs like I was), things that someone at my level says publicly can get the Investor Relations folks rather antsy.  Now, all I have to worry about is pissing you guys off and not my boss, my boss's boss, etc. :)

No string-pulling, eye-gouging or wedgies either. My life is so much simpler now and I'm so much happier and I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks all!

Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

Originally posted by Zinzan

+1, this is why a lot of gamers are supporting kickstarters, this precise reason is why im involved in several currently.

Couldn't agree more and that's why we are also going to support Brian Fargo's Kicking it Forward campaign. If the Kickstarter campaign is successful, I really want to help other people get their funding too. Least I can do if Kickstarter  does the same for me. 

Originally posted by fanglo
    One thing you can do to support the company is buy March on Oz, the iPad app they created.

I really, really appreciate this but please, don't do it yet. Wait till our Kickstarter is launched and then, if you like what we are trying to do and want to buy the game as additional support, that would be fabulous of course. However, I don't want people to spend any money (even if it just for MoO) until they are really sure that they want to back CU. I don't want to disappoint people and I would hate to have people buy the game and then kick themselves for doing so if they don't end up wanting to support our Kickstarter. I thank you so much for your offer, it really means a lot to me.

Mark

Mark Jacobs

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Mr. Jacobs, i love your candid approach you have taken, maybe to alleviate some of the demanding burden of this unprecedented amount of communication you should encourage some of your team who might have "extra time" right now to chat it up with us also.

Can't see how it would hurt, and i would love to talk to others who share your vision and are on the front lines.

Lolipops !

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

...there seem to be quite a few people who indeed like to stuff other peoples pockets.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ostrich-pillow/ostrich-pillow

Seems like the days when people paid for products are gone...welcome days of paying for sheer promise.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Mr. Jacobs, i love your candid approach you have taken, maybe to alleviate some of the demanding burden of this unprecedented amount of communication you should encourage some of your team who might have "extra time" right now to chat it up with us also.

Can't see how it would hurt, and i would love to talk to others who share your vision and are on the front lines.

Funny, I had the same conversation with them at the end of the week.  We intend to do just that once we get past V1.2 and prior to the Kickstarter beginning. Our whiteboard has too many missing "check-offs" but once that's done... :)

And please, it's Mark.

Mark

Mark Jacobs

• MalenkaMalenka Member Posts: 26

I have so many happy memories of DAOC, not least that I met my partner in game, and we have been together ever since. I really wish you the best of luck. I just bought MoO for old times sake :)

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I think one thing i know i am gonna do, buy March on Oz. Looks kinda like an improved Plants vs. Zombies. Although i am sad i have to play it on my Iphone (hate it my wife bought it for me) I would be tons happier if i could play it on my Android Tablet.

So yeah even before Kickstarter happens i am already supporting City State Entertainment.

Lolipops !

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

Camelot Unchained  - normally being a more calm person when it goes to expecting much from a new accouned MMO - is one of the most anticipated games I´ve ever encountered personally. I know we still need to get a lot of information, Mark. But despite of that, you shared your vision with us once in a way that in my opinion stil couldn´t be reached again. And even though you admitted failures during WAR, I´m pretty sure having some publisher forcing certain deadlines did their own part in making WAR what it is and not what it should become.

There are a few reasons why I don´t need anything else right now to absolutely support this project:

1) Getting that succesfull with DAoC, somehow an underdog project, and "failing" (not calling it a complete failure) with WAR did , I´m pretty sure, let you learn some hardlearned lessons and as far as I can imagine, that might also be a major reason for reaching out to the community via kickstarter and not trying to get a big publisher into the boat. I fully support this, because too many great game-designs got squashed by publisher-deadlines.

2) Not announcing any form for DAoC 2, furthermore clearly stating it isn´t going to be a sequel, shows me, that you aren´t interested in just collecting the spoils of the old days by milking the clearly desperat DAoC-fans out there, since many of us from the old days still haven´t found anything remotely satisfactory since then. No - you do highlight your liking of the medieval setting and your niche-game vision and do make it clear, that any similiarities with DAoC aren´t meant to be any sort of "DAoC 2"-promotion.

3) You are focusing! I love it. As soon as I get into the branche myself I really hope I´ll be able to work for someone who does excactly that. No decision did more to ruin the MMO-market, then the decision trying to cater to everyone. Nowadays we have several MMOs out there all pronouncing the best PvE, PvP, RvR, Crafting, Housing, Collecting, RPing, Storytelling.....etc etc all at once. At least it feels that way. Having some mediocre nichegames out there, mostly denying some of those aspects you plan to focus on, I love this vision of yours. Actually you just announced a game-design I developed myself, at least up til now and I hope that we - also in detail - share a lot of other visions. Too bad I´m still studying and didn´t have the financial background to go this way myself :) But I happily support this game 100%, because I believe this is the way to go since WoW.

4) Reaching out to the community and speaking your mind. Mostly personal traits, but something a big part of the Gaming Industry does lack. I believe it to be one of the most important traits ever regarding the succes of a game, especially a MMO. So anyone with a clear vision and the guts to stick to it is an ace in my books.

5) Prefering subscrition-models is dead on with my own feelings and I´m pretty sure you still can be viable with this payment-method nowadays. Given you are going the right direction with the game design and it seems so here. So I hope the subscription-model does make it into one of the founding principles.

Well, it is just me - but I don´t need anymore than this :-)

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/