Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's The Point?

WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package.

Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Warley

Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package.

Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

why would i need to? game is free to play

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Too late! Oh, if only you'd been here yesterday, then you might've persuaded me with your mighty arguments.

But you're probably right. What is that saying? A fool and his money are soon parted? Hopefully I'll get a few hours of enjoyment from the game but in retrospect I probably shouldn't have been so eager to buy a founder's pack.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I'm still trying to figure out how it is different from DDO.

So far, it sounds like, not much.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    im looking forward to playing it, wont spend a time since its F2P. Actually looking forward to this more than TESO...BUT that is why were getting Archeage....
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    To have fun is my point hopefully.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Already gave them my $200 and proud to do so.  Game follows and accomplishes every thing I want out of an MMO at this point in my life.

God its going to be fun to actually play a themepark (THE BESTEST GENRE OF MMO's) and never run out of content because the game is setup first and formost as a dungeon adventurers ultimate game.  Neverwnding content thanks to the Foundry UGC.  No longer will I play an MMO and grow bored of it in 2 months because the developers cant keep up with content demand. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Punk999
    To have fun is my point hopefully.

but how can you have fun if you can't spend 18 hours a day for 10 years playing a "deep meaningfull" game? but yea i agree game looks fun and if it plays well ill give it a go.. if i play the beta and I'am sadly let down like i was for defiance ill move on.. plenty others out there and many others coming soon:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Yeah like the Foundry was something we've seen in MMO in the past years... Nothing new at all....

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Here's where you lose alot of your steam, you're trying to lay this IP on the dev. The IP is stronger than the dev. It's the first time the actual IP is being used in an MMO. As someone important once said 'This is a big F-in deal.'

Someone mentioned DDO, but DDO is a seperately written universe (Eberron) with it's own rulesets, it actually was never true to D+D and didn't have to be.

This game is said to be true to the rules, which is a huge undertaking, by any dev. Cryptic and PWE have chosen to do it (some cred may go to Atari, not sure how much of their stuff is still left in it).

So regardless of the dev, it's an IP I and many others have loved longer than any game, scratch that, it is the reason we play MMORPGs in the first place, the core being. So yes, I'm going to hope for the best, but I'm not going to hype it. It has enough pressure on it just trying to assume the mantle of Neverwinter in the Forgotten Realms campaign world. The expectaions are very black and white, on paper to be exact.

So no, this game has never been done before, it's been copied, bastardized, abused, and comepletely misinterpreted and called 'fantasy', but it has never been done before. This is Dungeons and Dragons we are talking about, the real deal. Where do you think all those roleplayer servers come from anyways?

Oh, and as many others have said...it's Free to Play. What money are you giving them again to play this game?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Warley Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online. Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package. Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!
    why would i need to? game is free to play

Very thin argument..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

What's The Point?

1) For fun

2) for shitzz, and

3) for giggles

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

1.) It is F2P, no sense NOT trying it out to see how it is.

2.) It actually has foundry which gives players the ability to CREATE CONTENT which, last a checked, is extremely rare in an MMo to the point of basically being nonexistant. If your going about 'something we haven't seen before' then sorry to say but a game like that hasn't really come out in a good 10+ years since every game is basically working off the formula set before, just changed a bit with the times.

Originally posted by Purutzil

1.) It is F2P, no sense NOT trying it out to see how it is.

2.) It actually has foundry which gives players the ability to CREATE CONTENT which, last a checked, is extremely rare in an MMo to the point of basically being nonexistant. If your going about 'something we haven't seen before' then sorry to say but a game like that hasn't really come out in a good 10+ years since every game is basically working off the formula set before, just changed a bit with the times.

and for #2 you can hear the dev talk here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY&t=23m5s new foundry will be a huge step up from cryptics past content creation systems.. so this is something im really looking forward to as a past RPG creator nut i'm looking forward to a robust quest/dungeon designer with decent graphics

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by paulytheb

I'm going to speculate here. If all things go as planned (no I have no specific info other than the TSR games themselves), Wizards bought TSR long ago and all it's lore.

They own the IP over DDO/Eberron. Eberron is treated like Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, Krynn (Dragonlance), etc... That being alternate realities to the Prime Material Plane of the Forgotten Realms (Neverwinter being it's main city). They all have slightly different rulesets too.

Recently DDO released an expansion into the Underdark, that is the world underneath the Forgotten Realms, so since Wizards hold the IP to both titles, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to think something may crossover in the distant future. I say distant because both devs have a ways to go before even considering anything like that, but the possibility is definitely there.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Already gave them my $200 and proud to do so.  Game follows and accomplishes every thing I want out of an MMO at this point in my life.

God its going to be fun to actually play a themepark (THE BESTEST GENRE OF MMO's) and never run out of content because the game is setup first and formost as a dungeon adventurers ultimate game.  Neverwnding content thanks to the Foundry UGC.  No longer will I play an MMO and grow bored of it in 2 months because the developers cant keep up with content demand. 

This ^^

Not to mention, Resources you can get from playing come from quests that link with quests that players create which means you can have fun by not being stuck doing the same old dungeon runs 40 million times in a 6 month period because the game is ever changing. I plan to add my contribution to the Foundry as well. I loved being a GM back in the day now I'll have a living canvas to work with to convey my stories! I hope people like them!

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Rider071

I'm going to speculate here. If all things go as planned (no I have no specific info other than the TSR games themselves), Wizards bought TSR long ago and all it's lore.

They own the IP over DDO/Eberron. Eberron is treated like Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, Krynn (Dragonlance), etc... That being alternate realities to the Prime Material Plane of the Forgotten Realms (Neverwinter being it's main city). They all have slightly different rulesets too.

Recently DDO released an expansion into the Underdark, that is the world underneath the Forgotten Realms, so since Wizards hold the IP to both titles, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to think something may crossover in the distant future. I say distant because both devs have a ways to go before even considering anything like that, but the possibility is definitely there.

Ooo, a Planescape MMO would be interesting.  Unrelated to MMOs but Torment was top 3 all time for me in srpg's.  The heart of the game would be Sigil....sigh.  Too many freakin IP's out there to do them all.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    This hasn't really been on my radar until fairly recent. I like a lot of what I'm reading so far about the game and doing what I can to get a beta key. Looks like I'll be out of luck until the PCGamer weekend but oh well. If the $20 founder pack would have had beta access I wouldn't have to worry...but it doesn't. :(

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I would have prefered a Neverwinter Nights 3 not made by Cryptic.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

easy one...

DDO is a main D&D MMO that is in its own lil world.

Neverwinter is a branch D&D world thats branched in another "Plane"

Now to make things a lil clearer. D&D is the first "game" that introduces the mainstream fantasy genre for well over 30 years. it started as another name but im not going into nitty gritty details here folks.. if someone else wants to give a history lesson feel free.

so Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO) takes place in Ebberon.. or something like that.. hard to kkep up with the ever evolving stuff.. its got all kinds of crazy things in it and well it just didnt sit well with alot of die hards.

Now Dungeons and Dragons: Forgotten Realms is the setting for Neverwinter. name of the realm that most of this takes place is Faerun. It has a rich history, wonderful Lore and many iconic characters that have been protrayed in books around the world. Just to name a few that are iconic in Forgotten realms:

Drizzt Do'Urrden

Elminster

Dove Falconhand

Elustriel

jarl'axel (my favorite by far..)

Bruenor Battlehammer and his daughter Cattie Brea also his adopted son Wulfgar of the tribe of the Elk.

So many stories have been written about the Forgotten Realms that its only fitting an MMo be made.. Was Cryptic the right choice? who knows but if you check out the wtf is...? video youll hear Zeke explain that he and several on the developement staff are huge fans of Forgotten Realms and worked closely with Wizards of the coast to bring this game to us.

If they have a personal love for the story and world of Forgottem Realms i cant see why they wouldnt be a good choice.

In my opinion Cryptic was the right company with the right people to make this game. the Devs love the game and they want to make sure they keep it to the standard that is expected from one of the most beloved Realms of D&D.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

It's a completely free-to-play MMO with the same engine they used for Champions and Star Trek Online. The production quality is average and the development time has been short.

To summarise this game:

It's a cashcow for them, which will be mildly enjoyable for a short time i'm sure. It won't be anything groundbreaking and it won't have sustainability - but they know that. Have a look at the model for asian MMOs if you're curious. Fast turnaround, somewhat enjoyable and you'll be moving on in 3-12 months maximum.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by SuperNick

It's a completely free-to-play MMO with the same engine they used for Champions and Star Trek Online. The production quality is average and the development time has been short.

To summarise this game:

It's a cashcow for them, which will be mildly enjoyable for a short time i'm sure. It won't be anything groundbreaking and it won't have sustainability - but they know that. Have a look at the model for asian MMOs if you're curious. Fast turnaround, somewhat enjoyable and you'll be moving on in 3-12 months maximum.

The devs working on the project have a vested interest in making a good game. they have a deep understanding and love of the Forgotten Realms. People you need to check out the videos and press statements that were made at other places. just from Bills and WTF is... i have managed to get a better understanding of how this game came to be and how its prgressed, and to be honest im actually looking forward to something i didnt have any faith in a year ago. A Forgotten realms Neverwinter created by Cryptic.

Ill say this in closing. Zeke and theothers that helped out in the vids have a deep love for the lore and story of the forgotten realms. they went through alot to get this game to the level its at. yeah not everyones going to like the 4e rule set.. so what. its a game set in a realm that has been the focus of attention for a few decades now. millions of books based in the Forgotten realms have been sold around the world. It is legendary in its own right. The pressure on the Devs to make a game tht meets the standards of Forgotten Realms is huge.. Far more than any other game ever created.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    looks like another wow clone with less skills :D
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

In DDO when you finish a mission or kill a boss you get an item, in NeverWinter, you will probably get a lockbox that you will need to pay a dollar for a key to open and then find you get +1 pair of socks.

Is anyone else scared of how PW plans to monitize this game?  It surely wont just be from cosmetic items in the shop.   Lets be honest for a moment.  Cryptic has never made a profit that I know of.  Atari sold them off and then PW stopped them from releasing this game in December of 2011.  They have worked on this game for an extra year with no extra revenue coming in.  Now the game will launch with no box cost.  At least STO had a box fee so they got a nice chunk of money up front.  With no inital revenue coming in from box sales, this game had better be fricken amazing and make people want to buy stuff or the lockboxes will be activated shortly after launch.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by SuperNick

To summarise this game:

Disagree.. The quality here is far better than your saying right off.  Second it's not just any license.. it's DnD.. and Neverwinter.  The way I play mmos nowadays doesn't fit your model anyways.. sure I might last three months.. and then jump to something else for a while (like ARR or GW2... or even TSW.) and then I'll feel the desire to come back at some point..  The game could be amazing and still I'll want to spend tome elsewhere here and there.  So?  F2P games are predicated not on just the people who stay for years but for those who keep coming back.  The game looks to be a quality product that we're getting it free.  If the game is as good as it looks I'll spend money.  I'm sure there are others that will agree.  Your all or nothing statements don't fit in my mind.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Nhoj1983

Disagree.. The quality here is far better than your saying right off.  Second it's not just any license.. it's DnD.. and Neverwinter.  The way I play mmos nowadays doesn't fit your model anyways.. sure I might last three months.. and then jump to something else for a while (like ARR or GW2... or even TSW.) and then I'll feel the desire to come back at some point..  The game could be amazing and still I'll want to spend tome elsewhere here and there.  So?  F2P games are predicated not on just the people who stay for years but for those who keep coming back.  The game looks to be a quality product that we're getting it free.  If the game is as good as it looks I'll spend money.  I'm sure there are others that will agree.  Your all or nothing statements don't fit in my mind.

Been around the MMO scene for long enough to recognize the signs of a mediocre production quality game. (Been playing since Asheron's Call days) - still, it is only my opinion.

I never said it'll be a bad game, my opinion is that it will be a fairly generic experience. The graphics are in my opinion subpar for 2013, the combat looks uninventive for what is supposed to be and I quote "a revolutionary action combat experience" and the world is supposedly very instance/dungeon based.

If you want a suitable comparison for how this game will likely turn out then look at D&D Online by Turbine. A game that enjoyed moderate success with a niché market and slotted into the industry as an 'OK' MMO.

I'm expecting NWO to enjoy more success than Champions and STO, which will be an achievement for the company in itself since both of those games were borderline bad.

I guess the reason this game annoys me more than entices me is the Neverwinter universe deserves more than an old rehashed engine, 2 years development time and what appears to be a  severely lacking open-world environment. It deserves the AAA treatment, not the F2P treatment.