Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

14567810»

Comments

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by fixif

OP, you shouldn't have mentioned WoW in your post. GW2 fanbois are most obnoxius players around.

Well, GW2 is no different that any other title out there. Hype at first, people buy it, see it's nothing different, quit either GW2 or genre allthogether. Genre as a whole is in decline because it lacks inovation (please don't start what GW2 does is revolutionary because anyone that played anything else knows it really is not. People tend to forget what that word, revolutionary, actually means, but that's another topic to discuss). Game gets hyped to hell, fails at delivering, people quit. It is same old story since the beginning of MMOs. Except the hype is a lot worse nowadays.

As I said i my previous posts, GW2 devs should've really picked their words more carefully, as they said a while ago they are gunning for the WoWs place. If you are in that kind of thing, competition, WoW has more subs than GW1 and GW2 together have players, so it didn't only beat one B2P title, but two. But then again, if you are enjoying your game why the hell would you care about that. It goes without saying if GW2 had 15$ subscription or if WoW went F2P that would be just unfair.

With 2.2mil copies sold (now probably slightly more), which was the only thing that was announce since the beginning of GW2, and with average retention rate of a MMO of 30-35%, I believe it's safe to say GW2 has plenty of players.

Edit: Just to clarify, GW2 was not fastest selling anything, MoP sold 3mil copies in the 1st week, which was the last week of fiscal quarter, number probably got a bit higher, and just dissapointment when people claim GW2 is more of a world because it for more adventureous teleporting all over the place and not having mounts. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Just to clarify your clarification, GW2 is the fastest MMO to reach 3 million copies sold. MoP, an expansion of WoW, may have sold 3 million or so copies, but that was to a captive audience of an alleged 10 million or so players. If there's anything resembling truth to that number of players, only around 30% bought the expansion? OK.

I still get a kick out of the "see nothing different" lie, even though the stench of desperation gets cloying after a while.

See 2nd sentence. There is nothing notably different. If anything that GW2 does is revolutionary and different then every single MMO out there has a dozen 'revolutionary' features. Ok, I did make a mistake. I guess I missed the announcement. But that doesn't really change anything, does it?

Also I love it how you chose to ignore my other arguments. If you did just a fast google search you would see WoW sold 3mil in the 1st week, China wasn't included, and now everyone buys expansions immidiately (as that annoucement was at the end of the quarter so only the people that preorder and bought within those 5 days were included) and especially not after the Cataclysm flop.

Also, technically GW2 is a new MMO, but you can't compare it to actually new IP since GW1 has been around for ages. It's like if WoW2 released, technically it would be a 'new' MMO, but at the same time it really wouldn't be.

Way to focus the one mistake I made regarding annoucement.

And no, GW2 didn't get the same amount of hype as any of the games someone listed. That is just twisting the facts. GW2 had ridiculous amount of hype, mostly because of GW1. It's not even compareable.

On topic: Yes, GW2 was probably hyped even more than SWTOR, but as I wrote before - with average retention rate there are still a lot of players playing.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    Originally posted by Celcius
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 

I didn't really mention how well it did do or didn't. I know MOP sold more then 3 million copies in a week though. I think that is probably faster then GW2. Im not knocking people who like the game at all...im not saying it's unsuccessful...it's succesfull for a mediocre game for sure..a real record setter!

Mediocre is a matter of opinion. You play WoW correct? In my humble opinion.......the ultimate form of mediocrity.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

OP, you shouldn't have mentioned WoW in your post. GW2 fanbois are most obnoxius players around.

Well, GW2 is no different that any other title out there. Hype at first, people buy it, see it's nothing different, quit either GW2 or genre allthogether. Genre as a whole is in decline because it lacks inovation (please don't start what GW2 does is revolutionary because anyone that played anything else knows it really is not. People tend to forget what that word, revolutionary, actually means, but that's another topic to discuss). Game gets hyped to hell, fails at delivering, people quit. It is same old story since the beginning of MMOs. Except the hype is a lot worse nowadays.

As I said i my previous posts, GW2 devs should've really picked their words more carefully, as they said a while ago they are gunning for the WoWs place. If you are in that kind of thing, competition, WoW has more subs than GW1 and GW2 together have players, so it didn't only beat one B2P title, but two. But then again, if you are enjoying your game why the hell would you care about that. It goes without saying if GW2 had 15$ subscription or if WoW went F2P that would be just unfair.

With 2.2mil copies sold (now probably slightly more), which was the only thing that was announce since the beginning of GW2, and with average retention rate of a MMO of 30-35%, I believe it's safe to say GW2 has plenty of players.

Edit: Just to clarify, GW2 was not fastest selling anything, MoP sold 3mil copies in the 1st week, which was the last week of fiscal quarter, number probably got a bit higher, and just dissapointment when people claim GW2 is more of a world because it for more adventureous teleporting all over the place and not having mounts. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Just to clarify your clarification, GW2 is the fastest MMO to reach 3 million copies sold. MoP, an expansion of WoW, may have sold 3 million or so copies, but that was to a captive audience of an alleged 10 million or so players. If there's anything resembling truth to that number of players, only around 30% bought the expansion? OK.

I still get a kick out of the "see nothing different" lie, even though the stench of desperation gets cloying after a while.

"Just to clarify your clarification, GW2 is the fastest MMO to reach 3 million copies sold."

What no, no it isn't. Please send me a source for this and not a Forbes article or VG charts or an article stating the sales. I'm sure a certain GW1 expansion sold around 7 mil and diablo 3 sold 6 mil on launch. MOP sold 2.4 physical copies. And GW2 reached 3 million in 6 months....... 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

"Just to clarify your clarification, GW2 is the fastest MMO to reach 3 million copies sold."

What no, no it isn't. Please send me a source for this and not a Forbes article or VG charts or an article stating the sales. I'm sure a certain GW1 expansion sold around 7 mil and diablo 3 sold 6 mil on launch. MOP sold 2.4 physical copies. And GW2 reached 3 million in 6 months....... 

Lest clarify some of your confusion.

GW2 was the fastest NEW MMORPG, new meaning a new game, not expansions - that removes WoW xpacs from the list.

Diablo III isn't a MMORPG.

Some consider GW1 a MMORPG, some don't. Regardless no GW1 expansion sold 7 million - 7.5M plus was the number of boxes sold by the entire GW1 products.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders