Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Converting email sign-ups to beta accounts

worldalphaworldalpha Milton, ONMember Posts: 403
Well, over the past year as we have developed WorldAlpha. We have been collecting emails of interested players.  Well we have had 4 closed beta weekends thus far.  Though we have collected over 10,000 valid email addresses, only about 1,500 players have decided to come and try out the beta.  Seems low for me.  I'm hoping they will come at some point to check it out.  What do you think?  Did they just change their minds?  Nobody uses email?  Waiting for the game to release?

Thanks,
Mike
Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYMember Posts: 1,930 Uncommon

I think the market is flooded right now with betas. I used to try all beta's that I got, but now I rarely beta test anything since the market is flooded. Beta's used to be rare and you were honored to get one. Now...every developer throws out keys on several different sites. So...I just don't think the interest is there anymore unless it is something that the individual is interested in.

Just my 2 cents

• worldalphaworldalpha Milton, ONMember Posts: 403
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I think the market is flooded right now with betas. I used to try all beta's that I got, but now I rarely beta test anything since the market is flooded. Beta's used to be rare and you were honored to get one. Now...every developer throws out keys on several different sites. So...I just don't think the interest is there anymore unless it is something that the individual is interested in. Just my 2 cents

I understand your point.  Thing is at one time, these people came to my site, and said they were interested in being a beta tester.  So, they actually had a time when they wanted to play.  Now that the betas have come, and we've emailed them.  Over 85% have chosen not to bother.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• ghstwolfghstwolf hampstead, NHMember Posts: 386

I'd ignore any signup over 3 months old, at least for gauging interest.  Both real life and "gaming" life can easily change in a year and easily back burner joining a beta.  Nevermind that there is a segment of people (I'm this type) that would have signed up with a burner Gmail sort of account, which even if still active could be long abandoned.

One misstep (IMO) was a lack of an official general access forum (I don't see one now anyways).  That is one of the major ways to keep people engaged with your game for longer periods and seems at odds with a game designed around community interaction.