Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the longest running profitable MMO?

1235»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    If you are just going by time the oldest game still running will likely be it.  How about measuring player months? 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It's gotta be pretty close between UO and Lineage

Lineage only managed to pull in 1.3billion lifetime. NA servers were actually shutdown due to the game being unprofitable in 2011. 

Sadly we don't have figures for UO. But box sales + expansions + cash shop sales + subscription + merchandise for 16 years should put them pretty close if nothing else. 

That's only true in the west.  Lineage is insanely popular and profitible even today.  It's probably more profitible than most triple A western MMOs.  Here is a link to their server page: http://lineage.plaync.com/board/server/list

It's really hard to navigate if you don't know Korean (I don't) so I used Google Chrome.  I found the list of servers in a dropdown.  I counted 50 servers including the Test server.  That's about as many servers as Rift and EQ2 combined.

The game really was that good.  It's too bad NC crushed it in the west, but hardcore isn't as popular here as people claim.

Regardless of lineages popularity or its profit margin. It is not the longest running profitable mmo :-D We all want our old school games to be that game! But, alas, we have to put our fanboy issues aside and be honest. I for one believe EQ is top dog :-D But it still does not change the relative question asked by the OP. Which is "what is the oldest mmorpg that retains a profit quarterly above 15%. Hate to say it. But by all accounts we lose if we choose our fanboy game. :-D

Lineage so far is the longest running confirmed profitable MMO, and that doesn't come from a fanboy (I didn't even knew it was top down perspective until this thread, actually). UO, for example, has been around longer, but we have no idea whether it's profitable or not because there's no mention of it on the quarterly reports, which is really the only confirmed information we as outsiders have access to. 

Also, Lineage would be the game according to the wording of the question "something that represents at least 15%(or more) of the parent company's earnings every quarter.". Of course, it's not 100% fair, since for all we know UO might be earning more each quarter than Lineage but since EA is much bigger than NCSoft, it doesn't show in the reports, but that was how the question was worded.. :)

Of course, that's of what I know so far, for all I know there might even be a text only MUD or something like that running that has been online for 20 or 30 years with a company so small that even if 10 or 20 people still play it, it's still more than 15% of their earnings.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

Lineage only managed to pull in 1.3billion lifetime. NA servers were actually shutdown due to the game being unprofitable in 2011. 

Sadly we don't have figures for UO. But box sales + expansions + cash shop sales + subscription + merchandise for 16 years should put them pretty close if nothing else. 

That's only true in the west.  Lineage is insanely popular and profitible even today.  It's probably more profitible than most triple A western MMOs.  Here is a link to their server page: http://lineage.plaync.com/board/server/list

It's really hard to navigate if you don't know Korean (I don't) so I used Google Chrome.  I found the list of servers in a dropdown.  I counted 50 servers including the Test server.  That's about as many servers as Rift and EQ2 combined.

The game really was that good.  It's too bad NC crushed it in the west, but hardcore isn't as popular here as people claim.

Regardless of lineages popularity or its profit margin. It is not the longest running profitable mmo :-D We all want our old school games to be that game! But, alas, we have to put our fanboy issues aside and be honest. I for one believe EQ is top dog :-D But it still does not change the relative question asked by the OP. Which is "what is the oldest mmorpg that retains a profit quarterly above 15%. Hate to say it. But by all accounts we lose if we choose our fanboy game. :-D

Lineage so far is the longest running confirmed profitable MMO, and that doesn't come from a fanboy (I didn't even knew it was top down perspective until this thread, actually). UO, for example, has been around longer, but we have no idea whether it's profitable or not because there's no mention of it on the quarterly reports, which is really the only confirmed information we as outsiders have access to. 

Also, Lineage would be the game according to the wording of the question "something that represents at least 15%(or more) of the parent company's earnings every quarter.". Of course, it's not 100% fair, since for all we know UO might be earning more each quarter than Lineage but since EA is much bigger than NCSoft, it doesn't show in the reports, but that was how the question was worded.. :)

Of course, that's of what I know so far, for all I know there might even be a text only MUD or something like that running that has been online for 20 or 30 years with a company so small that even if 10 or 20 people still play it, it's still more than 15% of their earnings.. :)

Yes,  your fanbooism is showing. As regardless of what statistics you give to us the reader. Lineage is not even in the comparision. As it is still newer than some of the other titles mentioned. Here I will break it down for you in simple terms.

1.Lineage 15% or greater  quarterly profit <CHECK> 2. Lineage oldest mmorpg <NOT CHECKED>. 3. Lineage, has checks for both 1 and 2< NOT CHECKED>.

You could always start a Lineage thread :-D

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Thanks xpowderx; exactly the type of hair-splitting discussion I had absolutely zero interest of entering.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Yes,  your fanbooism is showing. As regardless of what statistics you give to us the reader. Lineage is not even in the comparision. As it is still newer than some of the other titles mentioned. Here I will break it down for you in simple terms.

1.Lineage 15% or greater  quarterly profit 2. Lineage oldest mmorpg . 3. Lineage, has checks for both 1 and 2< NOT CHECKED>.

You could always start a Lineage thread :-D

Go ahead, as I said all I knew of lineage was the name, didn't even knew it had closed in the US since this thread kindled my curiosity at a slow day at work so I looked around on the net, and the whole reason I saw the name was that on a thread earlier I was looking at the NCSoft Q4 report and noticed it on the profit by games section.. :)

BTW, the question was "What's the longest running profitable MMO... that represents at least 15%(or more) of the parent company's earnings every quarter.".... the question as was written is not two independent parts, as you say, the oldest and that represents 15% quarterly profit, the question, at least how I read it (granted, as someone whose first language isn't english) is the oldest THAT has had 15% or greater profit, which I do believe is lineage. It is not the longest running MMO, it's not the best MMO (can't say, never even seen it being played, but I can say that I don't particularly like diablo perspective games so I'm not interested either), it's not the most profitable, but it is, which is how I understand the question, the one that has represented 15% of greater profits quaterly for the longest time so far.

Of course, that is of all we know.. for all we know UO might be bringing in more money and be the one that fits better (since it is older), or maybe even (pulling numbers out of my behind), there might be some older game that, for example, might be bringing in $1,150 a month for its parent company but with an upkeep of less than $1,000, which would also put it on the ballpark of the question asked.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Nexus: The kingdom of the winds first released in Korea under the name Baram in 1996, and it's still running and making profits, granted, the amount isn't that high, but it's still running and profitable.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

This question and it's integrity reminds me of the random guy in every MMO general chat that says every 2 hours or so:

'WoW was the first MMO'

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

^ im not a guy but what the heck... for me it would be wow :3

kekekeke

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Thanks xpowderx; exactly the type of hair-splitting discussion I had absolutely zero interest of entering.

A good hair stylist does WONDERS!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I would say it all depends on what a person considered profitable. 

I personally would say Everquest simply in the fact some of us have been playing it 15 years now over those 15 years we have been loyal enough to buy 18 freakin expansions.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Swell, 114 guesses and not ONE definitive answer.  I'm not sure where you would find an absolute answer, but it would be more interesting than all these pages of guesses.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Most profitable and longest running would have to be Everquest 1. Been around since 99 and they have gotten 18x40$ for expansions off me, plus probably 8-9 years of sub fees. The coolest part is, I feel like I have ripped them off over the years for all the fun I have gotten.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Most profitable and longest running would have to be Everquest 1. Been around since 99 and they have gotten 18x40$ for expansions off me, plus probably 8-9 years of sub fees. The coolest part is, I feel like I have ripped them off over the years for all the fun I have gotten.

wow made much more, just because they have alot more subs.

seriously, just google for the most profitable mmo, you will find the answer.

no matter how much i or you like other games, wow is the titan of mmos.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

The question is not able to be answered due to the fact that we do not have access to all of these companies complete financial records. No one is privy to all of the relevant information.

There is no way to know which are crossing the 15% threshold the OP asked in his question.

The question is unanswerable.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

wow made much more, just because they have alot more subs.

seriously, just google for the most profitable mmo, you will find the answer.

no matter how much i or you like other games, wow is the titan of mmos.

Key words, longest running.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

When MMOs go red beyond a certain age they get shut down, plain and simple.

Its Gemstone(an MMO mud) , which has been around since 1988 on Genie, which is probably longer than some of you folks have been alive.  It pretty much trashes Lineage and UO in longevity.   I know a couple folks who have characters that and over 20 years old, I haven't played in 5-6 years and the toon I made in 1995 is still sitting on that server he was at level 160 or something ridiculous like that before they compressed it down to 100 because of power creep.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Swell, 114 guesses and not ONE definitive answer.  I'm not sure where you would find an absolute answer, but it would be more interesting than all these pages of guesses.

Amphiboly.

Our most popular threads. We love to argue about these vaguely defined terms.

And the trolls definitely knows it...heh.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.