Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: NCSoft Reports Healthy Earnings

124»

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Healthy earnings.

As a Big Four auditor, I move a little further in the report to P&L, perform analytical review, find out that the net income decreased by 61%.

You should take a look at COS as well. Sales on their own dont provide you with enough information to make a conclusion. Especially not the one that they are healthy.

Luckily we are here to discuss games not finance, right.

Net income increased 31%. The 61% decrease wasthe parent company only.

Their gross profit margin was 20% in 2012, with 20% in 3Q12 and 40% 4Q12.

I guess you should have moved a little bit further.

In the consolidated financial statements yes.

However, the declining parent company should not be ignored completely due to its significance in the consolidated FS.

Saying that the earnings are healthy in spite of the fact that revenues of parent company which represent 63% of the consolidated revenues decrease by 5% while it`s cost of sales which represent 55% of consolidated COS increase by 30% is quite bold, dont you think?

If the parent company keeps declining, I would not be so certain that the relatively small subsidies can ensure the consolidated result to be profit in the future.

Not saying it will inevitably happen. In fact, if I was to guess, I would probably say that the company (group) will do fine in the future, but I would not be so certain to put my money on that.

Since the side I care is GW&GW2, that is healthy. :)

Which should mean Arenanet has a ltittle more muscle in negotiations with NCSoft.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Asamof
    amazing how many people still play lineage 1

That came is like a crack. Hard to break the habit once you are in too deep lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Which should mean Arenanet has a ltittle more muscle in negotiations with NCSoft.

...or it could mean that NC Soft rape the hell out of GW2's cash shop in order to make up some figures....

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Vesavius

...or it could mean that NC Soft rape the hell out of GW2's cash shop in order to make up some figures....

There are a ton of complains about the cash shop being a bit bland.

If Arenanet wants, they can add a ton of cosmetic stuff in there and even sell things that are at the moment hidden under RNG like the permanent trade contract.

With GW2 already paying for itself (sorry but there is no way GW2 budget was over $75M and it already brought back $150M) there will be less urgency to get the money back.

Especially with an exp pack this year (that will cost much less - 1 year development or so) that will probably generate a much higher profit even it brings less absolute revenue.

NCSoft can rape the Asian market with RNGs. :)

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't care about NCSoft so much as I care about ANet.  And ANet is one of their best companies and they know it.  Good people there.. can't say the same about NCSoft themselves.

I've said it before, ANet deserves the success they're experiencing.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius

There are a ton of complains about the cash shop being a bit bland.

If Arenanet wants, they can add a ton of cosmetic stuff in there and even sell things that are at the moment hidden under RNG like the permanent trade contract.

With GW2 already paying for itself (sorry but there is no way GW2 budget was over $75M and it already brought back $150M) there will be less urgency to get the money back.

Especially with an exp pack this year (that will cost much less - 1 year development or so) that will probably generate a much higher profit even it brings less absolute revenue.

NCSoft can rape the Asian market with RNGs. :)

I hope that's the case for the game... though we have seen strong use of RNG in the cash shop here already. Let's hope it wasn't *that* successful and encouraging to NCSoft.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not digging at the game here. I think GW2 deserves it's success fully and I only wish it well. It might not have been a long term game for me personally but it was certainly fun enough for me to play as a solo RPG for a month that I didn't feel in any way ripped off.