Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: Mark Jacobs On Subs, RVR, and Sandboxes

Comments

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    No pve? Meh

Nope, this game is not meant for Raiders / PvE'ers.

PvP or GTFO!

I wouldn't be so quick to think there will be no PvE.  Like Mark said in the interview, DAoC would not have been nearly as successful without its PvE content and like he also said, he and his crew have learned from their mistakes and triumphs.  So, not having PvE would be a huge mistake, but that doesn't mean the game couldn't or shouldn't still have a greater focus on the RvR aspect.

I agree with you here, I hope the intent is to make it focused on RvR out of the gate, so we arent faced with RvR rebalancing later down the road, due to a PvE focus at launch.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

Back in it's heyday when the BG's were always full in all the level tiers, it was immense fun leveling toons just in RvR alone. You could rank all the way up to max level and have some decent RR by the time you maxed out, without ever having to run all over hell and Hibernia to do quests. And then head on off to do RvR in the frontiers..

Ahh the memories..

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I'm just not interested in yet another PvP-focsed MMO.  Maybe it will do well, but not my thing.

You make me like charity

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Need to see some solid gameplay footage before getting my hopes up.
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Id rather have s sub to wipe out the buy to win mode of "ftp" games any day.

Played Daoc an loved it, my best mmo times where their.

I can only hope for a more serious look none of this panda quaggan backpack silly stuff :).

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

How can RvR cause a game to fail?  It was the center piece of DAoC.

DAoC failed because Mythic treated players poorly.

Edit:

This is in reply to Smoey

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    why name the game after 1 of the 3 factions? is Camelot the "good" or "light" faction? Id consider changing it to something more inclusive, but i guess you're also trying draw some hype by association.

What is the last word in DAoC?

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22

PvP done RvR style!!!    Good reason to be excited!  And as for people saying there won't be PvE, lol - The frontiers of camelot had lots of PvE mixed right in.  I always thought there could of been more roaming giants and creatures to mix it up with. 

Didn't UO mix in lots of creatures to kill and PvP was everywhere.  Why would anyone assume he won't have creatures to kill in his game?   Let's give the man time to tell us his entire vision. 

I for one am happy to hear about this game as I am planning to play and like TESO, however, I am already dreading doing 1,000+ quests.  (Maybe Mark will leave out quests in CU!!!)  lol

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
     I am curious if they considering this a direct sequel to DAoC or not. I'm sure there are legal implications if they actually said it. But since those mythological stories are not owned by anyone they can still use it.

• XcomVicXcomVic Member Posts: 50
    MAKE SUB GAMES UNDER 10/MONTH for FULL ACCESS+, you will MAKE HISTORY and A LOT of players will flock over...you can CHANGE the industry's milking of their customers....help US help YOU!
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    While I am extremely apprehensive about this and will not help fund the kickstarter I will continue to follow it.  As a normal proponent of F2P (or rather the B2P) model, a small part of me agrees with his statement here concenring small niche gaming.  Hopefully he can get the animations and combat right coupled with some sandbox features and you might have a successful startup game.  Will follow for now.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Stopped reading the moment I read that the entire game is based around RvR.  MJ has stated elsewhere that he has learned from the past but I think that he missed a spot, the spot where no MMO solely based on PvP has been even remotely close to successful.  The best he can hope for with this model is minor success as a very niche game.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm not a big fan of pvp, but I'm actually glad they aren't going to have any PvE for this game.  I've always thought of almost every MMO should be either a PvP or PvE MMO.  They try to add both, but there's always one that seems to do much better than the other.  I play different MMOs depending on what I want.  For PvE I'll play WoW or Rift, to play PvP I'll go play DAoC.

Edit: DAoC is the only game that I actually loved to PvP.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I think i'll make my own mmo and then make an expansion and call it 'mists of pandaria'.  Oh, wait, that is already a major MMO expansion name.  As matter of fact, it has come out recently so I better think of something unique to name my expansion.  Nah, I'll go with the copied name, because I'm too stupid to think of anything else.  There are a limited number of words in the English language, after all.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Hope the EU ppl can pledge on kickstarter aswell, or they do somthing like Chris Roberts did with Star Citizen, otherwise they might miss out a big junk of cash.

I would support it =)

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• cd3925cd3925 Member Posts: 29
    I am very excited about this. I also totally agree with the pay to play model. And please do not ask us to pay for beta! FTP  really seems to be bastardizing the gaming industry... I hope good ole DAoC rvr is coming back now- heck I loved the pve in DAoC also.
  • Deerhuntah60Deerhuntah60 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    why name the game after 1 of the 3 factions? is Camelot the "good" or "light" faction? Id consider changing it to something more inclusive, but i guess you're also trying draw some hype by association.

You're mistaken. :)

Actually the 3 factions were Albion, Hibernia, and Midgard. Camelot is just a time frame although camelot was the name of the city in Albion. Camelot was the main word in his original title Dark Age of "Camelot". :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

If they will aim for 30-50k subs, people will claim the game is a "failure". Because you can't make money unless you have 1M+ subs, right?

Originally posted by morbuskabis

Hope the EU ppl can pledge on kickstarter aswell, or they do somthing like Chris Roberts did with Star Citizen, otherwise they might miss out a big junk of cash.

I would support it =)

Why wouldn't they? I've pledged just fine on the US kickstarter with Amazon payments.

Originally posted by eric1000
    Stopped reading the moment I read that the entire game is based around RvR.  MJ has stated elsewhere that he has learned from the past but I think that he missed a spot, the spot where no MMO solely based on PvP has been even remotely close to successful.  The best he can hope for with this model is minor success as a very niche game.

Well then if you read it all you'll notice a niche game is exactly what he's after.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by tom_gore

If they will aim for 30-50k subs, people will claim the game is a "failure". Because you can't make money unless you have 1M+ subs, right?

Man I would just like to see 100k dedicated players. THe rest can keep whatever clone they are playing

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Wait... what? I thought the industry told us that the sub model was unprofitable and unsustainable?

Yet here we have, from a man very much in the know, saying he can run his game for a niche audience on it... makes you wonder why those other guys say they can't eh? Maybe it is down to making a sustanable profit or just profiteering, as some here have always maintained?

I admire a man who puts game design before high marketing numbers and a man who seems to understand how the cash shop model is awful for community building and core game design (I do disagree with him that this isn't important for PvE games as well though, but I feel he is being somewhat diplomatic towards his industry peers in what he says here).

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I really like waht this guy is saying..

1. RVR game

2. Sub based game

3. Niche game aimed at people who like RVR and pvp in general

4. Realistic about the amount of subs he is thinking about getting

Everything is ticking the right boxes here.. cant wait for the kickstarter page to come up..

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

I like how he was saying this morning, he was asking people not to cut down Zenimax/Bethesda he has a ton of people he loves who work there and he is friends with. You sometimes forget guys like mark have been in this buisness a long time. I know many people blame him for ruining games, but he has seemed to gain a great deal of humility and a pretty good sense of humor from some of it.

Really looking forward to this. plenty of games coming as well like TESO/AA and more to keep us busy. should be able to kill a few years out of those, of course unless project Titan turns out to be Starcraft Universe then I have the time to wait.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor