Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

A shift in online gaming journalism?

thinktank001thinktank001 oasisPosts: 2,027Member Uncommon

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/01/29/path-of-exile-a-truly-free-to-play-arpg/

" The term “free-to-play” often conjures up notions of experience potions, energy bars, “cash shop” perks, gated content, and a myriad of other pay-for-power perks and/or convenience options. "

http://gamerfront.net/2013/02/path-of-exile-doing-microstransactions-right/27079

" Now what makes these microtransactions so ethical is the idea that you’ll never be forced to pay real world money for anything that is more or less necessary to win the game. Now, that isn’t to say you can’t win any free-to-play games without dipping into your wallet, but a lot of them make the game a whole lot harder for anyone not willing to pay. If you’ve ever tried to play any Facebook games that feature microtransactions, you’ll know what it is I’m referring to. "

++++++++++

When was the last time any of us have actually seen cash shop based games described for what they are?  

Is gaming journalism finally breaking free from the mold, or is this just because both articles were from independent contributors?

Comments

• MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by thinktank001

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/01/29/path-of-exile-a-truly-free-to-play-arpg/

" The term “free-to-play” often conjures up notions of experience potions, energy bars, “cash shop” perks, gated content, and a myriad of other pay-for-power perks and/or convenience options. "

http://gamerfront.net/2013/02/path-of-exile-doing-microstransactions-right/27079

" Now what makes these microtransactions so ethical is the idea that you’ll never be forced to pay real world money for anything that is more or less necessary to win the game. Now, that isn’t to say you can’t win any free-to-play games without dipping into your wallet, but a lot of them make the game a whole lot harder for anyone not willing to pay. If you’ve ever tried to play any Facebook games that feature microtransactions, you’ll know what it is I’m referring to. "

++++++++++

When was the last time any of us have actually seen cash shop based games described for what they are?  

Is gaming journalism finally breaking free from the mold, or is this just because both articles were from independent contributors?

Look at the last line of the second quote (red). I wonder how much experience he's had with non-Facebook F2P games.

------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,657Member Uncommon

You seem to be jumping the gun a bit. Two things:

1) Some dude wrote something on the web. That's not a shift in journalism, that's some dude - one who is barely familiar with the subject matter - writing the equivalent of a blog post. I wouldn't get too excited just yet. :)

2) The game isn't live and they haven't started generating revenue, so we don't really have any proof that PoE's business model is economically viable. Personally, I'm very interested in seeing how well it does, especially with that 1,000 dollar customization item in there. It's entirely possible that they may have hit a sweet spot there that can move the business model toward a profitable cosmetic-only system. It remains to be seen.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It's entirely possible that they may have hit a sweet spot there that can move the business model toward a profitable cosmetic-only system. It remains to be seen.

Valve found that sweet spot long ago with TF2 and DOTA 2. Let players make your CS items for you and give them a cut. Works quite well.

------

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,657Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

It's entirely possible that they may have hit a sweet spot there that can move the business model toward a profitable cosmetic-only system. It remains to be seen.

Valve found that sweet spot long ago with TF2 and DOTA 2. Let players make your CS items for you and give them a cut. Works quite well.

Since then the only one that seems to have taken that ball and run with it is SOE and their Player Studio. I'm curious whether other devs are just cautious of the idea or are currently working on their own strategies to go that route.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FearumFearum Cinnaminson, NJPosts: 1,166Member Uncommon

They should just start calling "F2P" games "we can't get people to pay so f'it, we will just give it away for free and sell crap in a cash shop".

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Since then the only one that seems to have taken that ball and run with it is SOE and their Player Studio. I'm curious whether other devs are just cautious of the idea or are currently working on their own strategies to go that route.

They probably can't do it because of engine limitations/licensing issues. To allow players to create their own items for the CS, they usually have to use the same engine that is used by the game (at least I assume that's the case). Valve already has the Source Engine public, and I assume SOE have their own engine that they customized a portion for their Player Studio (which I wasn't aware existed).

I definitively would like to see more studios heading in that direction though, it's a great F2P model.

------