Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game had your favourite questing system?

I was just wondering if there were any other MMO's out there with actually enjoyable questing systems. Instead of having to download thousands of GB's of files just to test out games, I thought I'd ask the folks here for a briefing about the game which they think has the best questing system they've played.

Just to give you some background info: I play EVE Online. However, I play that mostly for PvP content which is more than enough for me. I do sometimes feel like doing some PvE but i've more or less exhausted all the PvE content there and it's quite old.

What Game had your favourite questing system? and why (just a little brief description)

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    GW had a great storyline missions. DDO was fun too. Some of AoC's quests and dungeons were also noteworthy.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    I actually enjoyed WOWs questing system back when it launched, now I am a bit burned out on it. TSW was probably my favorite out of recent MMOs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I enjoy the quality of the writing with wow quests and the original rpg feel of gw1 main questlines.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I have a soft spot for UO's bulk order deeds. 

You go to a blacksmith and pick up an order to craft X of item Y made of material Z.   You can go out, gather materials, make the items and turn it in immediately for a new quest or you can save it for a rainy day and come back for another order after a timeout expires.  The collected quests, you can save up and do in one huge binge, trade to other players or keep in hopes that you will get a rare large order that asks for a collection of small orders.

It's not that it's crafting (although I did enjoy that), it's just that extra layer of structure that comes from having quests be a collectable thing and having quests to collect subquests.  I would sometimes go out and buy a book of a few hundred surplus orders from another player and that would effectively become a mini-campaign for me.

( a high-end blueprint in EvE feels a little similar to this if you ignore being efficient and using the markets and just focus on gathering the materials yourself )

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94

SWG.  The quests themselves sucked, but the fact that there weren't giant icons or question marks above the NPC's heads made it for me.  I like discovering things and the community building that goes into creating guides outside of the game.  I also do not like cut scenes in a MMO.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I love the questing part in mmo's, especially if it's well-written, with a good lore and story. Actually it's a more important element to decide keep / uninstall a game than any other part of it. So based on that I could list games with good questing, but you asked questing system... which makes it more difficult. :)

I think questing system is pretty much the same in most games, pick them up, follow the to-do checklist, then give them in. My two favourite questing systems would be AoC and TSW, because both tried to somewhat differ from that "standard".

AoC changed the Accept / Decline buttons for actual conversations with the npc's, sometimes with different options based on the home country of your character. Sadly they couldn't ditch the standard entirely for not chasing the wow-crowd away, so (with only one exception) all quests in AoC are pickable with only repeatedly pushing 1. during the conversations...

TSW tried to change the system in elswhere. You take the quest the regular 1-click way (just with cutscene and not with written text), but you can have only 1 main quest and 3 side quests at a time. Next to that FC spreaded the quests all across the area, creating multiple 'questing threads' so with that way changing the regular quest hub system to a much more story-oriented, exploration kinda questing. It gives the questing a nice 'flow' :)

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Everquest. When the quests were optional, and if you did one it actually meant something.
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Ultima Online. You made your own quests. Every login was a different experience every time. 

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Although the mechanics of it are very dated now, I enjoyed questying in Everquest 1. You had to figure things out (until they reached EQ'Lizer or Allah at least), and the epic quests were truly epic to figure out.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Guild Wars 1 was one of the best I've seen.  Few quests, usually meaningful, and the storylines fit in nicely.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    GW had a great storyline missions. DDO was fun too. Some of AoC's quests and dungeons were also noteworthy.

Ditto on the DDO.  I didn't make it far in there, but the quests were memorable.  Also AOC's Tortage.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JuulpowerJuulpower Member Posts: 65

Runescape, definitely. Runescape's quests are actually storylines that make

sense in the world they are presented in, not just there to let you level up and

not part of some 'you're the hero!' story. They offer little rewards (again, making

sense according to what you have to do to complete them), but mainly help you

understand the lore and the game world better and to have fun. It might have

a smaller amount of quests than most games, but that's understandable :)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

SWTOR

Yes, give me the presentation.

Yes, give me the voice acting.

Yes, give me a story that is more than fan-fic level.

Yes, give me Light / Dark side choices.

Yes, give me a good Star Wars story that stays within the lore!.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

The Secret World has hands down the best questing system in the genre.  Fantastic voice acting, well written dialogue, interesting NPCs, fantastic locales, investigation quests that make you use your brain, awesome lore, intriguing storylines, adult themes, lovecraftian horror,and challenging content just to name a few reasons.

Runners up are SWTOR and AoC.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Guild Wars 1. It's full of well-designed missions, like, for example...

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assault_on_the_Stronghold

Pretty difficult at times, too. DDO is a runner-up and I really enjoyed Anarchy Online's randomly generated dungeons back when I played it.

Some of TSW's quests are great, too, but it also has lots of boring kill/fetch quests.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Draemos

The Secret World has hands down the best questing system in the genre.  Fantastic voice acting, well written dialogue, interesting NPCs, fantastic locales, investigation quests that make you use your brain, awesome lore, intriguing storylines, adult themes, lovecraftian horror,and challenging content just to name a few reasons.

Runners up are SWTOR and AoC.

true, except SWTOR questing is way below standards. The only memorable quest was getting HK51 which felt like an RPG at times, that´s about it.

For the rest of SWTOR I only remember clicking X crates or killing X mobs.

So for me it´s Secret World followed by Age of Conan

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    WoW when it had epic attunement quests, long and fun regular quests.
    TSW immersed me with what I saw. Well done.
    Your title diverges from the OP.
    Going by the title alone: Skyrim.
  • GrumpyBuddhaGrumpyBuddha Member Posts: 8
    WoW for its non intrusive style. I don't need story or voice acting, just give me this task and be done with it.
  • keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    old Everquest quests were trully epic
  • DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I prefer the Asheron's Call system of simply paying attention to the monthly progress of the story and then hitting up the Town Criers for hints of where new quests might be.  For previous month's quests you just had to rely on word of mouth or exploration to find them.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

FFXI and Lotro.  FFXI because every single quest had a reward you will either use or sell for a ton of gil and you really had to explore and find them and basically "unlock" quests the more you do them for each city.  Yeah, the quest log could have been better, but for overall immersion, they were the best.

Lotro, while it has it's run of the mill go kill x boar quests, the Book quests and a few side quests are just awesome and very well written.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I liked the story lines in SWTOR. If the game wasn't a buggy nightmare at end game I'd probably of kept playing.

As for actual quest system I've never really seen a game that "breaks the mold " GW2 has a different take on quests with it's hearts but it's still just a go do pointless things that don't matter for xp.

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96
    TSW had the more diverse set of quests due to investigation missions and such. My favourite game to quest in was DDO, they seemed more complete.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Guild Wars 2 for the execution and presentation.

The Secret World for the lore, diversity and ambiance.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

As i truly love stories, atmosphere and riddles, there is nothing that comes near The Secret World quests.

Runner Ups would be some of the newer WOW Quests. They really got some nice ideas, but unfortunately Blizzard copies their own quests now for the last 5 years. /yawn

and SWTOR had a great agent storyline. But nevertheless the usual "Kill 50 droids" quests were not very innovative.

Hodor!