Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel bad for Wizadry Online

PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

They launched several days ago and...not a peep from the crack team of MMO news reporters here at MMORPG.com

So either the news crew is still hung over after a wild and crazy drunken Midnight SWTOR raid or this game is really bad and the team is doing everyone a favor by completely ignoring it.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    something is going horribly wrong because they removed it from steam right away. There was talk at giant bombs forums that the game had the WarZ problems where information on steam was not exactly what was in the game.

• DayneOrlyDayneOrly Member UncommonPosts: 5
    The game is horrible.  I played beta for about a hour, it was just plain bad design.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Yikes. And yet...that would have also been news people might have been interested in.

I'm going to stick to my hangover theory.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by DayneOrly
    The game is horrible.  I played beta for about a hour, it was just plain bad design.

Me too,I tested for a few hrs. and quite frankly Free Realm's and Dragons Nest are better game's imo,it was just plain ugly and not just visually.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I've been dabbling with it this week after seeing it announced on massively. Although it is not the worst game I've played, it needs lots of work. Just logging into the game the first couple of days took 14+ minutes staring at the loading screen. I timed it twice before posting on the SOE forums so no one could say I was exaggerating. They've done a lot of work to it this week and I can now get in game in under 4 minutes.

Permadeath is listed as a feature, but from what I can see so far, it is extremely hard to achieve. If you die you just run as a ghost back to a sort of alter and respawn. I assume this was released in Asia and translated to English because all of the quest and tutorial dialogue reminds me of most other Asian ports. I think the PK system will turn off a lot of players, but it was the main reason why I'm checking it out. So far most of the people I have played with seem pretty nice.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It looks like SOE pulled it because of ahh, technical issues, as in the game not working?  From a Community Managers response at SOE:

http://forums.station.sony.com/wo/index.php?threads/steam-deleted-u-guys.1541/

NORRECX Active Member

">  

wow SOE took 1 day for you guys to get ripped of steams list thats pretty sad.. GJ

1. Piestro Community Manager

It wasn't steam, we've removed the download for the time being as we resolve the current issues.
      Nefar likes this.

The reviewers probably just kept getting locked up on the loading screens. :D

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Not defending the game but saying stuff that can be found in this game's forum.

--

I don't know if it's true but people on forum are saying that SOE removed temporary wizardry from steam because of the huge server problems they are having. (Which is terrible when the beta was smooth as silk)

I'm currently trying the game as it reminds me of D&D with harsher penalties/consequences but in it's current state I wouldn't suggest anyone to try it out until they fix the server's stability. For one they are doing 2+ server maintenance to try and fix the rubber band issues and lag but it's still not as stable as in beta.

Most common complaint (You won't have this problem early on) is in a certain dungeon were to progress you need to do a jump and if you fall there's a very tough mini boss with a lot of corpses of players near it.  The problem resides in the player rubber banding after they jump and getting rolled back in the middle of the jump or at the end and inevitably you fall down dying.

Quite hilarious when it doesn't happen to yourself since you can permanently die but still hope they fix the servers soon.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by DayneOrly

Me too,I tested for a few hrs. and quite frankly Free Realm's and Dragons Nest are better game's imo,it was just plain ugly and not just visually.

There are a number of things about it I don't like, but I'll just throw one thing out here, the visuals. Ok, the graphics just don't look up to par, and worse, everything is shrouded in fog at all times. Doesn't matter if you're in a dungeon, or in town at high noon. It's all foggy, all the time.

I was willing to give it a try, even if it isn't actually a Wizardry game. The stuff they've been making in Japan using the Wizardry name is just licensing, and is in no actual way related to the Wizardry games that were released by Sir-Tech. (As a silly side note, I still have my Mordor Charge Card.)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I rarely call a game bad, but it was a bad game. Like 10 yrs old
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i think they should tweak the controls a bit more. ITs not very friendly or responsive with K / M, and it plays awfully with gamepad. Also the interface is horrendous, and you cant even move skills between slots. Need more work on the UI (like a lot). The gameplay is generic but it felt a bit different so im willing to keep playing if they improve controls and UI.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'll put this back on the backburner and keep an eye open for furture updates. Sounds like trying now/soon will just lead to too much frustration.
  • deadhopedeadhope Member Posts: 52
    I found the game to be rather clunky in beta. I didn't specially like it. I also wouldn't recommend this game to any of my friends because while it's not absolutely terrible, there's nothing to keep you playing it.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i think they should tweak the controls a bit more. ITs not very friendly or responsive with K / M, and it plays awfully with gamepad. Also the interface is horrendous, and you cant even move skills between slots. Need more work on the UI (like a lot). The gameplay is generic but it felt a bit different so im willing to keep playing if they improve controls and UI.

You actually can, it says so in one of help pop ups I think after the tutorial quests, that you need to hold ctrl to move them. But yeah, the controls are backwards as hell and for a game with all those "hardcore" systems combat flow and controls pretty much are make or break....in this case, at curent state, it's break. 

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I agree with the other posters who said the game is bad.

It is not just ugly, and it is plenty ugly, but it is just bad design as well.

It does look 10 years old, and plays and controls like it is 15 years old.

Now mind you I am not saying the IDEAS presented here are bad, but the execution is just god awful.

Another obvious money grab on a known and trusted name.

Avoid at all costs. 4/10 and 4 just because it is technically playable, not that anyone should want to.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

This was just a Japanese company buying the name and rights when Sir-Tech went belly up. It's nice they still appreciate these kind of games but the execution was very bad.

Been saying it for a while if you have an itch for a game like the old Wizardry's check out Cleveland Mark Blakemore's Grimoire. He has been working on it for 18 years and did I mention he is batshit insane. Demo should be out within the  next week or two(or 50 he is not good about deadlines)

http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

This was just a Japanese company buying the name and rights when Sir-Tech went belly up. It's nice they still appreciate these kind of games but the execution was very bad.

Been saying it for a while if you have an itch for a game like the old Wizardry's check out Cleveland Mark Blakemore's Grimoire. He has been working on it for 18 years and did I mention he is batshit insane. Demo should be out within the  next week or two(or 50 he is not good about deadlines)

Another one would be Legend of Grimrock.  Only $15 on Steam, GOG.com or the devs themselves. Then now include the Dungeon Editor with it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Another one would be Legend of Grimrock.  Only $15 on Steam, GOG.com or the devs themselves. Then now include the Dungeon Editor with it.

Good call. Also worth subbiung to the GOG newsletter just to get a heads up on some of those great sales they have from time to time. When you can get 100 classics for 25 bucks or less DRM free, it's a nice pick up.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I am a very open minded gamer and I don't mind most horrible graphics (played Xsyon and DF1 for game mechanics and not graphics) but this game is bad on so many levels... I don't really care how deep it is after level XX, but the UI, the storytelling, bold characters, everything is done so cheaply and without love...

It's like they didn't even try, thinking that players will play the game only because its free :X

Save yourselves an hour or two of your lives and don't even download this one.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    I actually quite like it. Interesting dungeons / puzzles, difficulty level high, and risk back in an mmorpg. If Dark Souls made an MMORPG, this would be it.
  • dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Its not a very good game..Combat is designed poorly..The game is also designed in such a way to be very PVP centic. It will be Gankers paradise. I played the game for about 2 hours. Do not intend to ever play it again.