Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Massively Multiplayer" Designation: Game Design or Player Population?

2»

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by RefMinor

people are so serious about those terminology like they actually mean something.

There are plenty of "sandboxer" who claim Wow isn't an mmorpg because it is not "world" focusing.  Mainly because they are upset no developer will spend big bucks developing sandbox games. 

I mean, those terminology is meanless.  Just like a meanless argument the definition of gay means happy.

Rubbish, there are not plenty of Sandbox fans who claim WoW is not an MMORPG, can you provide examples?

No really?  Just find a thread about mmorpg with instance and see how people will tell you those are not mmorpg.

Go on then, find some evidence to back up your statement.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

People call wow, multiplayer online loby game or something.  I'm pretty sure many people on this forum called it.  So you guys actually agree wow is an mmorpg?

Maybe next time when I saw such a thread I'll call you guys and you guys can actually tell the other person wow is an mmorpg.

People call wow, multiplayer online loby game or something.  I'm pretty sure many people on this forum called it.  So you guys actually agree wow is an mmorpg?

Maybe next time when I saw such a thread I'll call you guys and you guys can actually tell the other person wow is an mmorpg.

No evidence then?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There are plenty of "sandboxer" who claim Wow isn't an mmorpg because it is not "world" focusing.

Well, I tried searching to see what you might have read that would cause you to write that and I'm at a loss. Can you link to the posts you're referring to?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

No evidence then?

ya no evidence.  I must be dreaming when people call wow multiplayer online lobby game.

I tried using search and nothing come up.  I need to go see a psychologist.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

There are plenty of "sandboxer" who claim Wow isn't an mmorpg because it is not "world" focusing.

Well, I tried searching to see what you might have read that would cause you to write that and I'm at a loss. Can you link to the posts you're referring to?

I dont' even know how you search.  Even if I try to search "mmorpg" as keyworld subject there's less than 1 page showing up.

No evidence then?

ya no evidence.  I must be dreaming when people call wow multiplayer online lobby game.

It's probably for the best.

No evidence then?

ya thanks for the help.  I just realize I'm a retard and willing to waste 15 minutes of my life to search to prove something on the internet.

But for your information.  I dont' think wow is an mmorpg.  But I think terminlogoy is just there so people understand what everyone is talking about.

No evidence then?

ya thanks for the help.  I just realize I'm a retard and willing to waste 15 minutes of my life to search to prove something on the internet.

Been there myself, you only have to worry if you are still looking and realise its time for work now.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I dont' even know how you search.  Even if I try to search "mmorpg" as keyworld subject there's less than 1 page showing up.

The search here isn't that good for forums. What I do is a Google search and include "site:mmorpg.com" (without the quotes) so that it returns only results from this site.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

It should be related to a large group of players that can access the same space (zone).  I would not classivy an ARPG, MOBA, Lobby Shooter or games with only persistent cities as MMORPG's.  

HOWEVER - I agree to have them listed here since these types of games are of greater interest to MMO players since they are still online and involve playing with others.  A tomato technically isn't a vegetable, but it's sold in the vegetable section.  The asparagus isn't all "GTFO 'mater you don't belong here".

Does it even matter?

Are people going to play PoE just because it is classify one way or another? How about WOW? WOW has a lot of lobby based play. Would players suddenly stop playing jsut because some sandboxer is arguing it is not a MMO?

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

A great many people play MMORPG's as if they were MOBA's or the PvE equivalent.  The PvE crowd are often referred to as "raid loggers", the log in trash talk for a while until the raid forms up.  Then they raid for 2-3 hours or more, followed by some more trash talk and log out until next time.  The PvP do much the same but substitute some PvP activity for the raid, often they go through two or more cycles of trash talk-activity-trash talk.  But then they log.

You find them in every game, they do not actually like MMORPG's but they have found a niche.  These are the people who complain about the grind, the slow levelling and "carebears".  As I said they dont like and largely dont play MMORPG they play MOBA in an MMORPG and laugh at those of us that do play MMORPG's.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

The problem exists with defining MMO is because it is basically a shortened form of MMORPG. RPG's were the first genre of games to go "massively multiplayer online" and thus the properties of the genre have stuck to the name (for veterans, at least). New games are now coming out generically calling themselves "MMOs" that have few if any of the defining characteristics of MMORPGs.

It's like calling any cola or soda a "Coke".  The name reflects a very specific formula and flavor, yet it has become generic for pretty much any fizzy drink (unless you live in the US Midwest and call it "pop" in which case my face will get a nervous tic and I will begin to beat you upside the head).

Edit : Have to apologize as I got a bit off track from the OP.  The term Massively Multiplayer doesn't really ring true as anything more than "a whole lot of players".  It is the abbreviated terms MMO and MMORPG that  have a bias in my mind.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster