Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

Comments

• xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31

I won't lie... I was pretty much in like flynn Pre-order an all whatever teso wanted I was going to do.

This faction lock thing stopped be dead in my tracks. I still have high hopes but I will be sitting and waiting for reviews or a free trial just got burned too much this year.

Don't misunderstand its not just the faction lock thing thats causing this for me but its a catalyst...More of well if they do this type of horrendous thing what else are they gonna do? I will wait for more info now.

on a side note what the fuck is wrong with these games? WoW could do it in 2004 why cant you do it in 2013?

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy

For "lackluster visuals" and "robotic animations", simply look at the videos posted on the official TESO site. No need to link to that since I assume you know how to work with the Internet.

For "soft-lcok target based combat system", check this out: 

Actually... thanks a lot for the video! It was awesome news. I was wondering how the system would work if you were a caster, and that video gives very good news to the people playing them. Theres no worries being a caster then.

The irony of putting a video trying to bash something and turning it into a "awesome news" source.

Thanks ... very very good news for TESO.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by m0lly

nope it hasnt, just like in wow was faction locked and 2 class faction locked wich it should have been always.

this faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere. so i do hope in future after this game is released they dont remove the faction lock.

Hmmm.

As it is currently, to see the rest of the game world you HAVE to create 2 alts, 1 for each of the other 2 factions. The designers are the ones encouraging faction hoping my createing alts. Upon creation you have NO choice in being a part of the faction or not.

But if you were given the option to choose a Great house people would know you CHOSE that House. With unlocked borders you would n't have to create alts in other factions to see the rest of the game.

And as an example, with faction locks, my Orc is forced to fight along side the redguard and Bretons who he sees as his mortal enemies and is unable to join forces with and help either of the other 2 factions that are killing his enemy.

You must have missed the part where Orcs pledged their alligiance to the Daggerfall because Bretons make their homeland a province of the empire. You know... finally orcs are not animals! They said they would join if the Breton king did this and let Orsinium be... so he did, so you're friends now. Not "mortal enemies".

Now... rp wise, seriously... an orc fighting next to a dark elf? Or worse... a nord? A high elf?

Nords are pure racists and elves (both of them) consider orcs mere beasts (they could have chariots pulled by orcs or orcs grinding the wheat, thats how much consideration they have for orcs... orcs, cows, horses same thing)... least the King needs you, he considers orcs to be "brave warriors and smithers".

As an orc, be glad you have an alliance to protect you, because it was either that or be decimated by all 3 - no one else would take you in. So, log your orc and say to yourself "wow I'm just glad I have a land to walk on... hell I'm glad I still have two legs to walk this land with - thanks Breton people or else people playing Skyrim would only find Orc fossils"

Lorewise, the most divided of the three alliances is the Ebonheart: Dark Elves - are above everyone else, Nords despise everybody else, and argonians simply hate everybody else, hide in swamps and say YOU NO COME HERE (personally I'd rather die alone than having an orc in my ranks). This is by far the most interesting mix... specially since there are dark elf houses that didnt even join the pact. 

Game wise... its just like the other poster said: "faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere"

This is the reason... no mingling with the enemy, theres no kind of emotional connection between you and the enemy - the enemy is just to be demonized and killed for it since you and your faction are the ones who are right - you dont know or care what the other faction has to say - and this kind of "realm pride" can only be achieved if you only meet your enemy in the battlefield... not when they're feeding their children collecting flowers. Their land is not your business the same as your land is not theirs. You join a faction because you identify with their "convictions" not because you want to be an elf or an orc. Its a personal choice... who do you identify yourself more with? Now from there, and only then you should choose everything else, like race for instance.

I think games are not "played from the heart" anymore... its all based on "do I look a wimp or badass" and then comes "now which race has the best stats for whatever". This is not a competition... its a game - people just lost the RP on mmorpgs. Or mmorpgs arent about RP anymore, specially after wow. When speaking of wow for instance I only have one comment - Horde Paladins? Really? Wow... enough said.

I hope this time the squeeking wheel doesnt get the grease as it usually happens and also usually destroys games.

You mention Horde Paladins break lore. Well a lot of us TES purists are saying the same thing about faction locks and other features and mechanics Zenimax is introducing. BTW, I agree about the Horde Paladins. I'm just saying, look at things from our point of view. 

Yes I do look at your point of view and being a fan of TES a faction lock is a must or else it will turn into WoW where everybody can go everywhere, theres no sense of realm pride, of defending your homeland, of actually be racist and hostile towards the other faction just because they're green or dark blue.

It depresses me when in WoW someone decides to attack a capital and the others say "meh... let them take it"... sure it will be theirs always, and the reward of doing it is an "achievement". Other than that... reward 0, risk 0...

Now if you lost Stormwind, the auction house, the merchants the vault etc, ok... maybe then it would be worth it, but its so pointless.

You have to get a "hardline" separation of factions so you can actually "hate" the other faction.

Of course I would like to see Hammerfell... but considering the options, I'd be "seeing hammerfell" at the expense of completely ruining the game.

So... I rather have a faction lock and noone can prevent me from rolling a Breton to see Hammerfell or an Elf to see Summerset Isle. But I'll be happy in Morrowind and Skyrim for my main... nothing is preventing you from seeing the entire map. Thing is... if TESO is really like DAoC you'd be too focused on your stuff to even bother checking out "the other guys land".

I played daoc since beta in Albion as a necro and got to know Hibernia and Midgard in... 2006 or something lol.

Regarding mmos in general, when it comes to visceral pvp and meaningful nothing comes even close to DAoC. If its back with a TESO skin, great! I think this is the initial shock, then ppl will come to accept this faction lock, and later people will appreciate how good it is this "different from wow" stuff.

EDIT: btw its not that Horde Paladins break lore... its just that... the "vision" of the Horde and the concept of a Paladin just dont connect - its just freakin stupid. Its like... Salty Strawberry Cheesecake... I mean... its a walking contradiction. As for TESO lore, well its being created and in no game before Tamriel was in full blown all out war. Only in TESO.

EDIT2: oh and... regarding TESO / DAoC relation, faction-lock will be NOTHING compared to the rage you'll see if they implement the DAoC interrupt mechanics - people will completely forget about faction-lock - DAoC interrupt mechanic will drive people insane - in 1000 years you'll still be able to hear players nerd raging and crying echoing on the edge of our solar system...

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Iselin

nope it hasnt, just like in wow was faction locked and 2 class faction locked wich it should have been always.

this faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere. so i do hope in future after this game is released they dont remove the faction lock.

Hmmm.

As it is currently, to see the rest of the game world you HAVE to create 2 alts, 1 for each of the other 2 factions. The designers are the ones encouraging faction hoping my createing alts. Upon creation you have NO choice in being a part of the faction or not.

But if you were given the option to choose a Great house people would know you CHOSE that House. With unlocked borders you would n't have to create alts in other factions to see the rest of the game.

And as an example, with faction locks, my Orc is forced to fight along side the redguard and Bretons who he sees as his mortal enemies and is unable to join forces with and help either of the other 2 factions that are killing his enemy.

Your idea could work, There are many other games in development with the same idea of a chaotic environment with many mini-factions going their own separate ways... most of those call themselves "sandboxes." This isn't one of those.

Funny thing about alts... after many years of on again, off again WOW play, I don't think I ever got any Horde alt higher than 20 but I have about 10 Alliance alts 60+... I guess I like to pick a side and stick with it.

and here is where what i ment by saying belonging to somewhere comes true, and ive same example myself eventho i do have quite high horde characters myself its alliance in this game where i have the most and played most. and im sure there is playrers who have same situation as horde side.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    and here is where what i ment by saying belonging to somewhere comes true, and ive same example myself eventho i do have quite high horde characters myself its alliance in this game where i have the most and played most. and im sure there is playrers who have same situation as horde side.

Well you are not restricted going anywhere on the map (Might be wrong as I don't play WOW) so you might not have the urge to see something in the game, realise you can't within your faction, and so create an alt.

Generally speaking I create alts to see how other classes work. In the games where I had to create alts for other reasons (such as seeing different stories or different parts of the game world I felt really disconnected. I never really had a 'main' just lots of alts. I felt little loyalty to any of the characters, would swap playing each character based on what I wanted to do or what the guild wanted and really didn't care much about the character. In comparrison to a game like TSW where I play Templay and can see the entire world I feel very loyal to the Templars. I don't feel the need to create alts as I can experience the entire game with my character.

To me, faction pride comes when I dedicate time to a single character and a single faction but if i MUST create alts to see the rest of the game I probably will and by doing so lose any really bond with any individual character.

If I have 3 alts and I am playing 1 and hear something about the factions plans for attack there is nothing really stopping me relaying those plans to another faction by logging in an alt. In fact, by doing so the alt is probably gonna prosper so it is beneficial to sell of the faction of another character.

I see the restrictions put in place by faction locks restricting 2/3 of the game combined with 1 megaserver as a big problem because it makes any kind of faction pride irrelevent as you can have faction pride for all 3 factions and are encouraged to have alts.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw has shit pvp

Being all chums together in pve is a major cause of this shit pvp.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    This lock really is lame and I do not feel it fully fits into the lore of the game. The factions should have been the guilds. Just makes the game sound "unlegit" to me. All that is going to matter is the gameplay and functions anyway.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    This lock really is lame and I do not feel it fully fits into the lore of the game. The factions should have been the guilds. Just makes the game sound "unlegit" to me. All that is going to matter is the gameplay and functions anyway.

Before skyrim some people would say dragons coming back was against lore, that is until they wrote the lore to have that happen.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tsw has shit pvp

Being all chums together in pve is a major cause of this shit pvp.

Opinion.

I could counter by offering that I will have friends with any of my alts and so the same 'chum' issue is very likely even with faction lock. Especially if you consider that to see the entire world you will have to have alts.

Originally posted by deakon

Before skyrim some people would say dragons coming back was against lore, that is until they wrote the lore to have that happen.

Big difference though. Players requested for a long time to have Dragons. Can't recall every hearing anyone asking to block 2/3 of the game from exploration per character and race lock factions. One lore change improves gameplay, the other doesn't.

Big difference though. Players requested for a long time to have Dragons. Can't recall every hearing anyone asking to block 2/3 of the game from exploration per character and race lock factions. One lore change improves gameplay, the other doesn't.

It's not against lore tho, which was he point, Its no more against the lore as having faction specific content in skyrim and morrowind, dragons in skyrim or any other aspect to games that they have added (or even taken away)over the years

It's not against lore tho, which was he point, Its no more against the lore as having faction specific content in skyrim and morrowind, dragons in skyrim or any other aspect to games that they have added (or even taken away)over the years

Oh come on. Someone made some shit up called it lore. Someone else comes along makes some more shit up and created an intricate web of lore articles.

Lore for me is.....Orcs en masse would not fight alongside their oppressors. Sure some might but not all of them would. THAT is what to be breaks lore. It isn't that some shit someone made up doesn't fit some shit someone else made up.

It is lore breaking in the fact it doesn't hold water when you use common sense! all lore in fantasy games is made up but that doesn't mean disengage brain to believe it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It is lore breaking in the fact it doesn't hold water when you use common sense! all lore in fantasy games is made up but that doesn't mean disengage brain to believe it.

There is some so-called lore where you do have to disengage it...that's my usual problem with Eastern MMOs image

I don't have a problem with racial subgroups making temporary alliances with their habitual enemies out of convenience. They may even pretend the alliance is permanant and that they are turning a new page...knowing that once things settle down they'll go after each other again.

Part of accepting the lore of a fantasy universe is using your own imagination...within limits. These three alliances don't push the limits for me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

But dragons existed in the lore and were known to have existed for quite some time, so bringing them back wasn't out of the realm of possiblity.  These Factions come out of no where and clash with pre-existing lore of racial hate amongst the groups made.

The thing is, that these 3 factions could have exist and still kept with the lore.  This way people could have their 3 faction pvp but in the sense of TES not daoc.  However, it seems instead of taking the time to work this out, they copied straight from daoc, with out realy taking the lore into consideration(contrary to what their press releases have said).

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    I dont see any issue, just roll an alt. Only the content locusts are mad.
    And factional alliances have existed in the lore before

Such as
    nords, orcs and dwemer vs dumer
    Altmer and bosmer vs men
    Everyone vs dunmer
    Everyone vs redguards
    Humans, argonians and khajit vs ayelids and bosmer
    Whole of tamriel vs akavari races
    Redguards and bretons vs orcs
    Orcs and argonians vs dunmer

Some of these happening between the single player games.

Originally posted by deakon It's not against lore tho, which was he point, Its no more against the lore as having faction specific content in skyrim and morrowind, dragons in skyrim or any other aspect to games that they have added (or even taken away)over the years
    Oh come on. Someone made some shit up called it lore. Someone else comes along makes some more shit up and created an intricate web of lore articles. Lore for me is.....Orcs en masse would not fight alongside their oppressors. Sure some might but not all of them would. THAT is what to be breaks lore. It isn't that some shit someone made up doesn't fit some shit someone else made up. It is lore breaking in the fact it doesn't hold water when you use common sense! all lore in fantasy games is made up but that doesn't mean disengage brain to believe it.

Yes someone made something up and called it lore, thats how fiction works.

TES is full of things some consider hard to swallow, just look at cyrodiil, was a jungle according to lore and didn't change until oblivion, where suddenly its like medieval europe, how was that explained? like this....

"'You have suffered for me to win this throne, and I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.'"

A sentence in a book. Which now they are going to have to add another sentence explaining why it changed from medieval europe to jungle in the first place (my money says sheogorath did it).

Its not that big of a hard sell that orc's would work with the bretons, certainly not harder to swallow than a whole land turning from jungle to forest. Especially as according to the tes wik:

"The Orsimer also have relatively strong historical ties with the Bretons of High Rock. The reasons for this are unclear, yet the relationship most likely originated because the races are cohabitating the same region."

The way I see the orcs and bretons are like the british and the french, We have warred plenty, we kinda don't like each other much but will work together when its in both our interests.

And yes you could be right, that not every orc would be part of the faction, and tbh who's to say there wont be the odd npc from the opposite faction? But I don't think it would be common to see someone from a nation we are at all out war with, which it would be if you could roll an orc on an opposing faction.

Yea not every orc agrees with the "alliance"... theres even an orc whos a deadra worshiper somewhere... and theres a whole house from the dunmer that didnt join the "Great moot" (or ebon heart) either.

And I bet you'll see plenty of other faction npcs... traitors, spies, refugees, etc.

This "faction lock is bad qq" will stop when the game comes out anyway... the day people realize they have a lot more than they can chew on their side, let alone have time or "brain" to even think about how the other faction's trees are...

Great, NPC Orcs, Elves, Humans...whatever. I want an Orc character that FIGHTS AGAINST the Bretons and their aliance. I want to freedom to determine what MY character wants to fight for. If I cannot make a character that is a blank template to become whatever I want them to become then the game is not a TES game. Simple as that.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Nope.  Adds to replayability after I finish one storyline.
    Great, NPC Orcs, Elves, Humans...whatever. I want an Orc character that FIGHTS AGAINST the Bretons and their aliance. I want to freedom to determine what MY character wants to fight for. If I cannot make a character that is a blank template to become whatever I want them to become then the game is not a TES game. Simple as that.

Then... don't play it. Simple as that! Want the game to change around whatever you want? No... either you bend to the rules of the game, or you dont play the game.

Don't like poker rules? Don't play it. The WPS will NOT change poker just because you find it unfair how you can be steamrolled even holding a pair of aces. What you want me to tell you?

Dont play it. lol... easy.

Originally posted by Maelwydd Great, NPC Orcs, Elves, Humans...whatever. I want an Orc character that FIGHTS AGAINST the Bretons and their aliance. I want to freedom to determine what MY character wants to fight for. If I cannot make a character that is a blank template to become whatever I want them to become then the game is not a TES game. Simple as that.

Well you right its not a normal tes game, its an mmo set in the same ip, my guess is tes7 will come in about 2/3 years.

You are still able to create char to become whatever you like, your restrictions are mainly geographic, much like they are in other tes titles, but in this game you have choice to visit other areas and experience the world/story from a different perspective rather than just having one perspective.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Then... don't play it. Simple as that! Want the game to change around whatever you want? No... either you bend to the rules of the game, or you dont play the game.

Don't like poker rules? Don't play it. The WPS will NOT change poker just because you find it unfair how you can be steamrolled even holding a pair of aces. What you want me to tell you?

Dont play it. lol... easy.

Your advice is apt.  But the problem comes from them claiming it's poker, when it's actually bridge.   They absolutely did this to fit elder scrolls  into DAoC.  Everyone knows it.  They just can't figure out a way to gracefully 'fess up.   Hence Schick trying to spackle over all the inherent problems of these groupings in the backstories.

Now if they're real clever, they'll  include all sorts of stories with nasty internal stresses, backstabbing, and intra-faction connivance.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Heaven forbid they copy ideas from a good mmo.

What we need is now 3rd rate wow clones